Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 14th, 2016 10:00

Windows 10 Activation failed

I have an Inspiron 3542 laptop that I just upgraded to Windows 10. The update completed but now the device is saying Windows 10 needs to be activated. The error message reads: "Activation failed because this device doesn't have a valid digital entitlement or product key. Error code: 0x803f7001". This is a Windows 7 Pro device purchased from Dell in 2014.  I tried calling the help line but they bumped me over to a fee for service help line because I am out of warranty.  If they sold me a device with an invalid key shouldn't that be on them to correct regardless? 

Is there a simple fix to this.  It was activated and running fine before this upgrade attempt.  Should I just revert it to 7 Pro and leave it alone?

• 

16.7K Posts

July 14th, 2016 11:00

Al Owther, 

Below is information to hopefully get your Windows 10 activated.

How to troubleshoot Product Activation in Windows 10:

This Activation Error Code 0x803F7001 in windows 10 is caused if you Clean install Windows 10 using flash drive. This Error may also occur if you update your BIOS. 

Possibly there can also be issue with Microsoft activation Server and thus you are shown that your windows is not activated, In this case you can only wait and verify if it is the issue from Microsoft's side or the recent changes that you made to your PC.
You can try the steps below to activate by phone.
Step 1: Keep holding Windows key and Press R key to open up Run Command.
Step 2: Type Slui 4 in the Run Windows that pops up and hit Enter.
Step 3: Next you will require to Select your Country/Region, So do it and Click Next.
Step 4: You will be Presented with Toll Free number, Use your Phone now and dial the Number to get the Confirmation ID.
Step 5: Once you get the Confirmation ID numbers, Enter them in A to H Field Exactly the way they are Provided.
Step 6: Now Click on Activate, That's all !!!

Follow the Cycle Again: 

In this method you will be required to follow the Cycle of Installing Windows 7/8 or 8.1 whichever OS you have with Product key. Then after its done, Download%20Windows%20Media%20Creation%20tool" target="_blank" rel="nofollow noopener noreferrer"> Download Windows Media Creation tool and Use " Upgrade this PC" Feature to Upgrade your PC from your Currently installed OS to Windows 10. More information  about how to use this tool can be found on Microsoft's official site.

2 Posts

July 14th, 2016 12:00

Thank you.  I will try this.  I did an upgrade from a disk created through the media creation tool and I did it straight from the desktop.  I had heard that there were issues doing it as a clean install and did not want to deal with those issues.

No Events found!