Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 29th, 2015 12:00

Windows 10 Inspiron N5110 (15R)

Hi all, just a quick fyi for anyone wanting to install Windows 10 on the N5110 like me. Although it is not 'supported' by Dell, it doesn't mean you can't do it. Just that you're on your own if you break something. Kinda like when I replaced the 'none-user-replaceable' HDD with an SSD. Currently, my 'nag screen' tells me I can't upgrade just yet and looks like this:

I wanted to see if it would run anyway, so used the Media Creation Tool to create a USB installer and went for it. I'm pleased to say that hardware-wise, everything works fine! Sound, USB, webcam, integrated and discrete graphics, VGA and HDMI outputs, WiFi, CD drive, eSATA port, Bluetooth are all working which is a minor miracle.

However, I was unable to get Windows 10 to activate. I kept getting an error saying that the product key was invalid. This was using both the key written on the bottom of my machine, and the one I pulled from the registry on Win7 using Belarc (other tools are available) which for some reason where different from each other.

So for now, I have rolled back to Win 7 and I will stay there until the normal migration route works (via Windows Update). Rolling back from Win10 to Win 7 is incredibly easy and takes three clicks for anyone wondering. Let's hope there is an official way to do this properly soon!

9 Posts

July 30th, 2015 07:00

I did three of our computers yesterday.

My XPS 8500, my daughters Alienware X51, and my other daughter's N5110.
The N5110 would not do sound to save my life,
I tried everything I could think of.
I was up on all of the drivers and BIOS.

I formatted and went back to Windows 7 for her till I can research it some more.
Not sure why the sound wouldn't work.
I would love to try it again but don't want to have to format and go back to 7 again if the sound fails again.
Any thoughts?

(Oh an my keys were different from what Belarc said too. Odd)

1 Message

July 31st, 2015 08:00

My Dell Inspiron N5110 unable to activate the Product Key for Windows 10 Home.

August 10th, 2015 03:00

you have to upgrade from win 7 to win 10,you probably formatted your system using the win 10 iso.That's why you can't activate your win 10

9 Posts

August 10th, 2015 11:00

Has anyone else done Windows 10 on the N5110?

Did you have sound afterwards?

I want to do it again but am afraid to try. I don't want to have to go back to 7 a 2nd time.

That took forever to get it all back on with drivers, software, the little things that are used on it etc etc.

I just want to know if the sound is working for N5110 users.

August 11th, 2015 19:00

Everything is working fine..Audio,WiFi,Bluetooth, Intel HD graphics, nvidia 525m, for Intel HD graphics usecthe windows updates to get the driver don't use the old one which came for windows 8.And for nvidia download the latest drivers from its website ,that's all..

2 Posts

August 12th, 2015 01:00

I've upgrade Windows7 home to Windows10 of my laptop Dell Inspiron N5110, i3 recently. All the hardware and existing software support and working correctly.

But there is a small delay with responding to the user tasks. I've seen full of RAM and full of hard disk working. So I improve the existing 6GB RAM to 8GB. Then the responding delay is less but the hard disk is working fully (100%). Next step is to replace the hard disk to solid state disk. In these days I've checked internet articles, statements etc. about the hard disk to SSD replacement because I don't like/ want to go rollback to the past version of the Windows.

This is my experience of the Windows 10 with Dell Inspiron N5110. Can any one advice me about the replacement of hard disk to SSD of the Dell Inspiron N5110 i3 2nd generation laptop...

Regards,

1 Message

August 23rd, 2015 22:00

I had been using the IDT High Definition Audio CODEC driver on my N5110 (running Windows 7) when it stopped working after the upgrade to Windows 10. I switched to the default Microsoft driver and it restored my sound. Unfortunately, there's still some crackling sound, but there's sound.

1. Go to Control Panel and double-click on "Sound."

2. Under the "Playback" tab, double-click on your default speaker device.

3. Under the "General" tab for speaker properties, go to "Controller  Information" and click on "Properties.

4. Under the "General" tab for the audio device properties, click on "Change settings," located at the bottom.

5. When the audio device properties reopens, go to the "Driver" tab and click on "Update Driver..."

6. Click on "Browse my computer for driver software."

7. On the next screen, click on "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer."

8. There should be the IDT and at least one other driver listed. I selected the "High Definition Audio Device" driver. Once you've selected another driver, click on "Next."

9. You may get a warning box about compatibility. Out of desperation I clicked on "Yes." :-)

You'll go through the driver installation and sound should be restored.

Another resource I found for drivers that are compatible with Windows 10 is this link: http://www.drivethelife.com/windows-10/fix-no-sound-on-windows-10-issue.html. I didn't try it, but if someone does, please feel free to share your experience.

1 Message

August 25th, 2015 18:00

I installed 10 on my Dell 5110 and was amazed by how easy and how clean the install went,  That was about a week ago and all was well until today.  Last night I was on Youtube and sound was as expected.  This morning I wanted to review one of the Youtube videos and you guessed it.  NO Sound.  I've spent the day chasing this problem (over  25 years working with computers of all types and sizes) and I still am no closer to a solution.  Strange that it happened over night.  I haven't found any driver upgrades or corrections to Win 10 from overnight.  Good luck to all of us.

gar_hun

12 Posts

September 9th, 2015 10:00

you may need to install flash

2 Posts

September 18th, 2015 18:00

I have Upgraded my N5110 15R to Windows 10, and I've had the problem, but luckily Microsoft had a fix. 

Do the Following:

1. go onto sound via Control Panel or right clicking the speaker icon on the bottom right corner of your task bar.

2. click playback and then 2x click your speaker/headphones or click properties when high lighted.

3. after you've done so, you should then go onto Advanced and change the Default format to 24bit, 44100 hz (Studio Quality) and then click test, also one thing that happened to me is that I had to un-tick some things then tick them again and then be able to change the format.

Hope this helped you :D

1 Message

September 19th, 2015 11:00

Thank you!!!!  I had the same sound experience you had but had convinced myself that it was the jack or the card and was almost ready to replace the part.  You saved me that misery.  I followed your procedure exactly and volia...I once again have sound.  This works and it is specific, rather some random suggestions.  Thank you, thank you, thank you!

2 Posts

September 20th, 2015 12:00

Your welcome, and if the sound doesn't work again just go on to your sound then the default device and just click test on the format change thing. Well basically go through the same procedure, in the fix.

:D 

121 Posts

September 20th, 2015 17:00

Hi. go to Crucial.com for your SSD and get the kit.  This comes with softwear and a data transfer cable

1 Message

December 5th, 2015 06:00

same problem with me i have dell n5110 and i upgrade to window10 .i tried lots of things update drivers bla bla but cant hear sound.sometime its work with out headset but when i put it headset and remove it cant work and then totally gone.

now no sound in my dell n51110 any solution for this issue.

1 Message

May 12th, 2016 15:00

I have this same issue time to time since "upgrading" to Windows 10. My solution is to reinstall the original Win7 IDT audio drivers. I fortunately am a packrat with saving installers so I have all my win 7 drivers or know where to get them. Going into device manager and uninstalling the drivers then reinstalling always works. Yes it is a pain but I have found the default Win 10 generic audio driver is much weaker outputwise than the IDT drivers. When I first upgraded Windows 10 installed the default generic drivers and had sound but seemed much weaker than normal but after reinstalling the IDT audio level are back to normal. Overall sound quality sounded *** with generic also. I have been trying to find a good bluetooth headset for music to avoid plugging into the computer just for this loss of audio afterward issue. Regularly making sure you have recent restore points to fall back on helps if you can not find the driver install. Pain but if you want the audio you are use to outside of using something like a USB soundcard this seems to be the best solution I have found since there simply seems to be no proper IDT drivers otherwise out there.

No Events found!