Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 6th, 2016 13:00

Windows 10 recent update causes keyboard to randomly shut down (Inspiron 15r se)

Hello All,

I was using my good old dell inspiron 15r SE with windows 10 since technical preview.

Since months it was working stable. Unfortunately after recent bigger update of windows 10 I face strange issue. Keyboard seems to randomly freeze. No information in event log, nothing. So far my only workaround is to reboot.

My current windows version: Home 1607, compilation: 14393.351

Thing I"ve tried so far:

- switching between tablet/desktop mode - helped once (probably by chance)

- uninstalling keyboard drivers (helped for couple of days)

- activating/deactivating key filters - no difference

- plugging in/out external keyboard - ext. keyboard works... after unplugging build in keybord stars working or not...also randomly

One hint: during freeze touchpad is not working, but touchpad mouse keys work fine O.o. Also backlit seems to freeze as well

Any help would be appreciated.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 7th, 2016 07:00

Hi,

Thank you for writing to us!

Kindly check you are able to update the drivers on the system and if there are any pending updates.This should most definitely be a drivers issue,hence downloading the drivers on the system should help with the issue.

We would also need to keep in mind if the system is tested for windows 10 and if there are drivers for the same.

Kindly private message the service tag and email address.

Thanks

Robin

4 Posts

November 8th, 2016 03:00

Hi Piotr,

I´ve exactly the same issue wist E5520 since Update 1607!

My workaround is to cofigure suspend to ram by pressing power button.

Suspend and resume needs five seconds, then keyboard and touchpad are working again.

Changing keyboard and mousedrivers did´t help so far, bios is up to date.

Some other users tel about missing systemboard drivers in win1607 update, maybe I´ve to reinstall them.

If you plug in an external mouse, it´s working while touchpad is still sleeping.

Parameters for touchpad are changed, gestures are disabled, no change...

Would be nice to get help..

Regards

Obernette

November 8th, 2016 08:00

My workaround is to cofigure suspend to ram by pressing power button.

Suspend and resume needs five seconds, then keyboard and touchpad are working again.

Good idea! At least it is quicker. Anyway...I hope that there is a better solution.

November 8th, 2016 08:00

Kindly check you are able to update the drivers on the system and if there are any pending updates.This should most definitely be a drivers issue,hence downloading the drivers on the system should help with the issue.

I have just checked for updates with dell system detect. Nothing new to install.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 9th, 2016 06:00

Hi Obernette,

Thank you getting in touch with us!

Kindly let us know if the issue has been resolved.

Thanks

Robin

4 Posts

January 5th, 2017 02:00

Hello Dell..

Resolved? Why? No... :-(

I need a suspend / resume any minute sometimes, sometimes it´s working for houres..

I´ve tried to use older keyboard and mouse driver, no change...

Hoping for any new microsoft patch, but nothing changes...

The "funny" thing is, that keyboard backlight reacts, but there´s no reaction from windows.

Only power button works...

Any proposal?

Obernetter

4 Posts

November 13th, 2017 04:00

Hello,

meanwhile, this error happend within Bios and with LINUX USB Boot, so it´s no WIN10 issue.

It seems to be a hardware problem. I´ve bought another E5520 and moved the disk without any (driver) problem.

Regards

Obernette

No Events found!