Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 19th, 2016 13:00

Windows 10 shutting down on bootup

I installed Windows 10 on my Dell latitude 10 tablet and have been using it without issue for several months. A few days ago while doing upgrades it shut down without warning. Now every time I try to boot the tablet I get a "shutting down" message as soon as Windows starts loading. It will continue to load with that message also displaying until it gets to the login screen at which time it does shut down.

I have tried to use a USB drive with the Windows 10 32-bit installer to repair it but it still tries to boot into Windows and ignores the USB drive. Looking at the BIOS settings there is no way to force it to boot from the USB, at least that I can find. Using a USB keyboard doesn't help because Windows 10 hasn't been set to allow alternate boot methods.

Any suggestions?

• 

17K Posts

February 25th, 2016 07:00

Tarasdad,

You may want to read the article below about Windows 10 not compatible with Latitude 10..

Latitude 10 and 10e tablets are not Windows 10 Compatible

For me to better assist in troubleshooting, please click my DELL-Jesse L and send me a Private Message with the Dell Service Tag number and your Dell Order number.

3 Posts

January 8th, 2017 07:00

I have exactly the same thing happening with my Latitude 10 running Windows 8 after it recently installed some Windows 8 updates.

Now it goes into shutdown on its own withing 20-30 seconds  after powerup.

I have tried to use USB recovery media  but it does not boot from it whatever Boot sequence I choose in BIOS.

While in BIOS ( F12), is does not go into shutdown. All tests pass OK.

It seems to be a bug in Windows or in a tablet because I am using the original W8.

No Events found!