Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

November 11th, 2015 14:00

Windows 10 where ?

So I bought the XPS 8900 with Windows 10.

Boots up to Windows 7 pro

First of all where is the product key located ?

Secondly I am assuming that I need to upgrade the windows 7 to windows 10.

Once that is done I understand the product key will be windows 10.

Anyone got answers for me ? :emotion-1:

EDIT: To be clearer about my intentions. I want to get to the windows 10 that I bought. Take the product key which I believe will be a windows 10 product key and do a fresh clean install on a new ssd that I bought. I do not really care about the software that dell installed. I just need windows 10 that I bought. I suppose another way of looking at it is that I am a DIY kind of guy and just want the system, not all the dellenese stuff. Can that be done ? has anyone else done that ?

3 Posts

November 11th, 2015 15:00

That what I do on my notebook.  I have been upgrading from windows 7 or 8.1 to Windows 10  (free) upgrading, and activated, and registered to hotmail account.  After if you want to install windows 10 Clean without Dell recovery.

I recommend to factory backup and recovery first before setup in windows 10 fully.

then boot up, and setup in Windows 10,  not select "upgrading", has to go to "custom" then delete all partitions, and make new one partition. It will reformat and installing itself.  when you are done with setup,  will ask you what product keys,  just skip it. until it come up windows 10, then put your hotmail.  it will activated in your full windows 10. (must to have registered in free windows 10 upgrading first).

I can tell you where you get windows 10 (full version) , I cannot post this but you can sent private message to me. i will tell you.

1 Rookie

• 

20 Posts

November 12th, 2015 06:00

Isn't the XPS 8900 Dell's latest desktop? It seems absurd that Windows 7 would be installed on it. Did they send you the right PC? My XPS 8700 came with Windows 8.1 Pro, which I upgraded to Windows 10 Pro.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

November 13th, 2015 06:00

Windows 10 SLP key would be in bios.  If this is FROM DELL and registered just Ask support to send you Windows 10  Recovery Media.

The Windows Genuine Label Should say Windows 10 Pro.

8 Posts

November 16th, 2015 13:00

When you say "ask support" where are you talking ?

I've called, emailed and even chatted but all I get is ignored. Calls tell me to call another number which is a dead end. Emails are ignored and chats well don't get me started there.

What is Windows 10 SLP key ? Is that another name for Windows Product Key ?

And the bigger question, what is this Windows Genuine Label ? I have searched all over the case and do not see any label concerning windows. I found the server tag but that is it.

8 Posts

November 16th, 2015 14:00

When you say "ask support" where are you talking ?

I've called, emailed and even chatted but all I get is ignored. Calls tell me to call another number which is a dead end. Emails are ignored and chats well don't get me started there.

What is Windows 10 SLP key ? Is that another name for Windows Product Key ?

And the bigger question, what is this Windows Genuine Label ? I have searched all over the case and do not see any label concerning windows. I found the server tag but that is it.

14.4K Posts

November 16th, 2015 15:00

tried removing the battery and looking in that case space?

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

November 17th, 2015 06:00

Request Backup & Recovery Discs for your system (US, Canada and UK only)

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Users have begun expressing concern that the Microsoft Certificate of Authenticity (COA) labels, that have been used in the past for validating the authenticity of the Windows Operating System installed, may no longer be present on newer Dell systems.

The reason for this change lies with the indicators by which Microsoft validates the authenticity of preinstalled Windows Operating Systems. Microsoft’s current requirement, regarding the presence of external labels denoting authenticity, dictate the presence of a traditional COA label or a Genuine Microsoft label. Either are sufficient to validate that the Dell installed copy of Windows is genuine.

Windows 8 keys are encrypted stored in the Bios installed at the factory.  There are no more COA Stickers due to piracy. (OEM System Builder Versions Do Still have COA Stickers)

Windows 8, 8.1, 10 now comes with a Genuine Microsoft Label there are NO MORE Certificate of Authenticity (COA) Labels.

See the following examples of labels to look for.

Color-Shifting Ink
The color shift on the label is designed to change from one color to another when viewed from different angles,

making it easy to determine if it is genuine.

Windows 8: magenta to green

Windows 8 Pro: blue to purple

Windows RT: turquoise to purple

Genuine Microsoft Labels
Are Located in  various places.

8 Posts

November 18th, 2015 12:00

I suppose I got off track with the label.

Bottom line is I want the product key for the Windows I purchased.

Any help in obtaining that ?

I want to install the window I purchased onto a new hard drive.

1 Message

December 2nd, 2015 04:00

I'm in the same situation.  Just got an XPS 8900 and it boots into Windows 7 Pro.  No multi-book or setup options appear at system start that would let me select Windows 10.  The system came with a Windows 10 Pro disc, but on the disc it says the software (Windows 10?) is already on the system.

I want to use Windows 10 as the primary operating system for my XPS 8900. Usually there is an operating system/re-install partition on Dell computers that lets you do this kinda thing, but its not obvious this is the case.

Any help would be appreciated as I do not want to install any new applications until I'm on Windows 10.  I guess I could try booting from the disc, but if there is a Dell provided update path on the system drive, that should be the better way to do the update.

(The XPS 8900 is replacing an XPS 8700 running Windows 7 and 8, so I'm done with those Windows versions!)

September 8th, 2020 00:00

Page NOT Found

No Events found!