Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 2nd, 2015 04:00

Windows 7 to WIndows 10

Hi, first time poster here. 

I have a BIG problem with my Dell laptop. I've had it a few years, and it's was still running WIndows 7. I have another laptop with Win 8, and I don't like it, so I left well alone on the Dell. 

When Win 10 was announced as a free upgrade, I decided to install it on the Dell, Stupidly, I neglected to create a Win 7 boot disc first, just in case. Oh how naive... 

Ran the WIn 10 install, but it stuck at 48%. All the advice on the web was that if this happens, power down, wait a few minutes and power back up - which will revert it to the previous setup. 

Well, it tried. But failed. 

"Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause". 

"Insert your WIndows installation disc and restart your computer".

"Status: 0xC000000f"

"Info: The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible" 

So I look for my old Win 7 disc. Can I find it? No. If I ever had one, it may well have been thrown away by now. 

I tried contacting Microsoft and they were no help - they said it looks like my laptop was not suitable for Win 10 (not what they said when I got the original upgrade info). 

So, how do I get a legit replacement Win 7 disc to boot up the machine? It's was a legal copy, so would Dell not have this on their records against the laptop serial number? 

Hope somebody can help. 

Mike

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

August 2nd, 2015 04:00

Model of Dell and version of Windows?

Unfortunately Microsoft's deployment of Windows 10 requires an upgrade.

You are in a position which they don't cover i.e. a failed Windows 7 Installations... They would instruct you to Clean Install Windows 7 and then Upgrade. This is time consuming when you have media and impossible when you don't have media or warranty.

There is one other workaround, that is to Clean Install Windows Insider Build 10130 with a Microsoft Account and Activate. You can then take the Free Upgrade to Windows 10240 (RTM). This upgrade path is much smoother:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/a-clean-install-of-windows/a-clean-install-of-windows-10/windows-xpvista-%e2%86%92-windows-10-free-upgrade/

4 Posts

August 2nd, 2015 08:00

Thanks Philip, looks like that may be the way to go. Not sure if my Dell is 32 bit or 64 bit - how can I tell when I can't boot? 

Mike

371 Posts

August 2nd, 2015 13:00

go to control panel

click - sytem and security 

then - system

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

August 2nd, 2015 15:00

Usually 64 Bit... You can input your service tag on a label; at the base of your system into Dell Drivers and Downloads to determine your model.

4 Posts

Ahem... if I could do that, I'd be in Windows and I wouldn't have a problem! 

As my original post explains, my computer will not boot. 

4 Posts

OK. I have downloaded (to another computer, which I am using to post on here) the 64 bit version of  build 10130 (it took several hours). As I said in another post, I don't know if my broken Dell is 32 or 64 bit. Should I try using the 64 bit version and see what happens, or is there some way to find out? 

Also, I'm not sure how to use this file - I guess I have to burn a CD? Some help would be appreciated. 

Finally, am I going to lose all my files on the Dell, or is there any way to avoid it? 

Many thanks for your help, I really appreciate it. 

Mike 

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

August 2nd, 2015 16:00

Also, I'm not sure how to use this file - I guess I have to burn a CD? Some help would be appreciated. 

USB is recommended, my guide instructs in the use of Rufus.

No Events found!