Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 30th, 2015 05:00

Windows 8,10 not supported for L501X Laptop

Hi

I have purchased the laptop L501X with Wind 7. Consulted the DELL support center to upgrade the system to windows 10 and straight way the comment came was the system will not be applicable for the Windows 10.

When the entire world going for the Windows 10 upgrade.DELL lets down the L501X customers to stay outdated in all the Fields.

May I know where there is customer support here for the L501X.and what we must do  here sit with windows 7 or starring at other systems

Do DELL want us to Sit the L501X users as like people starring at old age computers. Expecting the valid answer from DELL 

Regards

Munish Kumar

<ADMIN NOTE: Email id removed per privacy policy>

Ph:<ADMIN NOTE: Phone number removed per privacy policy>

108 Posts

July 30th, 2015 13:00

I'm not sure what you are trying to say, the L501X completely supports Windows 8.1 as I've run this on it since it was first released a long time ago.  If you mean that Dell don't provide any specific drivers or support, well why should they as I can attest that even Microsoft don't fully know what features they are going to implement in an OS until it gets released to manufacture. Personally the only Dell updates that I really bother with are BIOS related as all the drivers are generally better served with hardware manufacturer ones Nvidia/Realtek/Intel, etc.

July 30th, 2015 06:00

Ya I'm Moaning now for Picking the DELL laptop.All the other series releases with L501X is supporting the Windows 8.1 but not L501X.Even other laptop manufacturer providing the support to Windows 10 which released during the XPS L501X arena.

Nice to hear..

Finally DELL suggesting to go for the New laptop whenever the new OS firm has been release by Microsoft.Nice idea ....Keep it up...

108 Posts

July 30th, 2015 06:00

I have an XPS15 L501X which I upgraded to Windows 8.1 when it was released and will be moving to Windows 10 shortly.

Will it work? - Almost certainly

Will Dell support Windows 10 on this machine - Almost certainly not, you're on your own if you want to do this

Is it something you should moan at Dell about - No as the machine is five years old what do you expect

108 Posts

July 30th, 2015 07:00

I seriously doubt there will be many other manufacturers providing Windows 10 specific updates for five year old machines.

This does not mean it will not work as 99% of the hardware is not unique to Dell and will be part of the generic Windows 10 driver database included in the OS.

I've installed Windows 10 on a load of machines to test it out and the only ones I've had complete failures on are so old that the processors do not have functionality the OS requires to work.

If you are expecting Dell (or in fact any other manufacturer) to hold your hand while you install a new out of the stall OS on a machine they stopped producing multiple years ago I think you'll be sorely disappointed.

July 30th, 2015 07:00

Nice....So what you want me to do...Go for a new purchase and again the new OS will come again the same comments will be provided...

Windows 7  Release date - October 22, 2009

Windows 8 Release date - October 26, 2012

Even between the dates DELL will come to know about the release version as the DELL has the Partnership with Microsoft .

Dell Provides the warranty to the DELL laptop for 3 years 

XPS launched in the market by DELL by  October 2010 . and now consider the warranty of  3 years and so the warranty expires by 2013. How ever the XPS laptop does not even support Windows 8 in the period .Now tell me how here the DELL plays a support 

At least it should have supported the Windows 8 but it didn't . Then the product is failed to cover under the warranty policy itself.

can you explain here

July 30th, 2015 13:00

Nope...Please check the Dell support site the driver were available only to Windows 7 and for  Windows 8 and 8.1 dell never provided drivers for L501x..

July 30th, 2015 14:00

Yes,installed windows 8.1 audio driver was not working as like Windows 7. If the volume goes to 40 itself noises started to appear....installed windows 7 drivers in 8.1 and it's not working...tried to download from realtek and that also didn't work as expected. Post update not even 50 of audio output

108 Posts

July 30th, 2015 14:00

Have you tried installing Windows 8.1? I guess not our you'd have realised that it works out of the box no issues, why are you obsessed about Dell drivers as I've already mentioned they don't give you anything extra, the L501X works perfectly with Windows 8.1 (and Windows 8 although this is a stray dog as far as Microsoft are concerned).

5 Posts

September 25th, 2015 04:00

Hi

First post on here.  I installed Windows 8 on my Dell XPS 501X, but before I did I updated the drivers in Windows 7, as recommended by microsoft and various other forums.  I did have a little bit of trouble with the touchpad, but that was resolved with driver updates.

I then updated to 8.1 no problems.

I then had a hard drive failure and the shop installed windows 7 by accident, I am back on Windows 7 now with an SSD and its lightning quick.  I am about to download and install Windows 10.

As others have said on here, its nothing to do with Dell, its to do with doing it properly in the correct order.  If i recall correctly, video and sound card ones were done from the original manufacturer

3 Posts

November 11th, 2015 13:00

Hi

My husband upgrade my XPS L501X laptop to Windows 10 while I was out of town.   So far, I been able to use most functions but it does lock up and I have to shut it off and start it again.  Takes a long time to discover the WIFI networks .. but I guess from what I am reading is that I should be grateful that it is finding anything at all.  So I guess I will keep using it until I can't unlock it anymore.

5 Posts

November 12th, 2015 00:00

Just to add a note here. I did upgrade to Win10 but experienced lots of issues as many other upgrades have reported and not just Dell owners. The thing was so slow it was unbelievable and it has maximum ram and a solid state drive. It also wouldn't close down properly (I checked settings but it wasn't those) and in general it was unusable. There is an option to revert back to Windows 7 within 30days and I would recommend users to do that. A word of warning, the screen just goes blank when you do it and it looks like the machine has hung, into ok about10mins for mine to revert back to Windows 7. A shame as Windows 10 looks like it has good potential, but at the moment it's a bad release in my view.
No Events found!