Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 18th, 2016 15:00

XPS 13 9360 -- 1.2.3 BIOS results in 'no boot device found'

Dell XPS 13 9360, previously running dual boot Windows 10 and Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS. After upgrading to 1.2.3 BIOS, the laptop fails to boot. I receive a BIOS message 'No boot device found'. This is using AHCI for the drive configuration.

If I change the drive configuration to RAID instead (and nothing else), I receive the error 'Inaccessible boot device' from Windows 10 -- which isn't hugely surprising as it's configured for AHCI and doesn't have the intel RST driver installed.

I've tried downgrading the BIOS to 1.0.7 but received a message 'Incompatible downgrade'.

Any ideas as to why it can "see" the boot device in RAID mode, but not in AHCI?

2 Posts

January 14th, 2017 02:00

Hi Justin,

I have completly the same issue. I bought an XPS 13 9360 with ubuntu, what  I have changed to WIn10 Pro 64 BIt.

I really loved this machine, but today I made a BIOS update to 1.2.3 and since I had done it,  no boot device has found.

It has the 512 GB SAMSUNG SSD, which was shipped with this version.

It says there is no HW issue.

I changed to Legacy mode back UEFI mode, I changed AHCI, RAID ON etc, but didn´t help.

What should I do, I need my machine on Monday, and I´m in a big problem now...

Thank you in advance

Istvan

1 Message

January 15th, 2017 05:00

HELLO, i upgrade with the asistant yesterday my dell use liteon drive (256gb). I not make any hardware change.

Now the laptop not start, this message: "windows failed tu start" file \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD"

and i cant restore drive because unit is locked.

Can i fix it?

6 Posts

January 16th, 2017 00:00

@DAVIZINHO

It doesn't sound like the same issue, because the "windows failed to start" message is coming from your SSD, so the disk is detected.

sounds more like windows screwed something up in your boot.

when you press F8, can you select system restore? if so, you can try that one. (not an expert on repairing windows installations though, so if this doesn't help i can't help you)

6 Posts

January 16th, 2017 02:00

Dear Justin,

My laptop is still available for you to make test. it comes with a Samsung 960PRO 1TB.

Regards

4 Posts

January 16th, 2017 04:00

Hello @Community,

I think, I found a workaround. At least you can use your machine until the next BIOS update.

I have the same issue, like you guys. Brand new Dell Xps 13 9360, with Samsung pm961 512 GB SSD, after the BIOS update "No bootable device"

To be frank, tt works only, if you are able or you would like to reinstall your system, and I tried only with Windows 10 64 bit

Firstly, I have to tell you, that I spent couple of days to find out, what is the problem, and this normally shouldn´t happen after a BIOS update. Maybe Dell should honorate this tiny idea. :)

At the end of the day, the idea came from Justin C.

If you don´t mind, I write down step by step, what have I done.

1, I set in the BIOS Setup to - RAID ON - Restart

2, I start the Windows installation from an external USB ASUS DVD player

3, The first problem appeared, because the system didn´t see the SSD. Thanks for God, Dell rolled out a new Windows 10 driver pack in Jan, so I began to search for an Intel driver. I found this one : downloadcenter.intel.com/.../Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-RAID-Driver

4, I insterted this driver at windows Setup

5, After that, the system working properly, but NOT IN AHCI mode.

(If you change back, the system will have the same error)

But as I had written down, at least it´s working.

Regards

Istvan

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

January 16th, 2017 19:00

Just to be clear... Did you reinstall the OS?  If you did, I assume you used a SATA controller and not the PCIe controller?  Do your show the NVMe device in Device Manger in the Storage controller section?

If that is the case, if Dell comes out with a fix, would the new install now not be available?

I wish I had a way to get my hands on a broken system.  It would be fun to see if I could resolve the problem without a bios update.  If the bios update does break these systems, Dell must have hundreds which have been sent back for repair.

4 Posts

January 17th, 2017 02:00

Hi Saltgrass,

Yes I reinstalled. Let me write down my scenarios, and then you will see, why I had this conclusion:

After the BIOS update

1, Main scenario (AHCI + Win 64 installation | Result  - During the WIN installation you can see the HDD, but after the restart, you recive the NO BOOTABLE DEVICE has found message

2, Second scenario (Disabled ) From BIOS at the self test I received an error message the HDD is not connected, I couldn´t do anything

3, Third scenario (Raid ON + Win 64 Installation | Result - During the WIN installation you won´t see the drive, that´s the reason, why you should load the new Intel driver, and then the installation will be succeful and after it, you will have a working Dell machine.

" If that is the case, if Dell comes out with a fix, would the new install now not be available?" - I can´t answer this question

"Do your show the NVMe device in Device Manger in the Storage controller section?"  Nop I can see under Disk drives

I hope I could help

6 Posts

January 17th, 2017 23:00

To be clear, that workaround for windows will most likely result in your windows installation being unavailable when you switch back to AHCI mode. Just as mine will not work with UEFI mode because my EFI partition is missing (installed in legacy mode). So when and if Dell comes with a fix, i'd need to reinstall to take advantage of UEFI boot.

That being said, come on Dell, it's been a month since first detection of this problem, At the very least pull the bios update from the website to prevent any more problems.

Normal users shouldn't attempt these kind of workarounds (both the windows one and linux one) as they endanger their systems.

I temporarily worked around this problem, but not everyone will be able to, and when this takes too long I will be calling for a replacement that doesn't have this problem. (for instance, with a non Samsung drive)

5 Posts

January 18th, 2017 16:00

I have this same issue on the 9350 (Skylake processor) with Bios .10 and .12.  Seems like we need to reinstall the OS after moving SATA Operation to AHCI (from RAID) to make it work?

6 Posts

January 19th, 2017 01:00

For windows you probably must, because windows decides which storage drivers to install/initialize, and not the others.

Linux might be fine, as long as you use one of the more complete distro's which ship with "fat" kernels and initrd images.

13 Posts

January 21st, 2017 03:00

I have the same issue, I changed the stock SSD to Intel 600p 1tb.

if the system is shut down, it has no problem on booting the windows.

When I restart the system, it will show No hard drive detected.

This happened after I updated to new BIOS 1.2.3.

4 Posts

January 23rd, 2017 02:00

By the way, do we know, when will DELL release the bugfix (with new BIOS version, I assume)  but do we know a date? Should we do anything? Should we report officially? etc.

11 Posts

January 24th, 2017 10:00

Hi Justin, sorry for the delayed response (I only got an email notification for this message being accepted as a solution, not all the others).

This issue was resolved for me by having the main board replaced, which downgraded the BIOS to 1.0.7.

Unlike most of the other respondents here, I was running stock hardware. My laptop used the 512Gb SSD option, as I understand it that is a Samsung PM961 drive rather than a Toshiba.

If it wasn't an issue specific to my machine for some reason, I think the steps to replicate should be just:

Switch a stock Windows unit (with 512Gb Samsung drive) to AHCI mode from RAID, and try to boot. If you get a BIOS message of 'no boot device found', that's the issue I was having. If you make it to a Windows 10 error of 'inaccessible_boot_device', then it's just a driver issue as Windows is configured for RAID not AHCI.

Hope this helps!

1 Message

January 25th, 2017 06:00

Any news on this Dell? Sitting here with a bricked machine, because for some unknown reason nobody at Dell thought it wise to take the BIOS update down, so I updated my machine before installing my Samsung 960 Pro and now it won't boot.

My XPS 15 9550 is fine with a Samsung NVMe drive, so I'm not sure what they've broken...

After having around 15 Dell XPS machines since they came out years ago, I'm getting a little sick of all the little niggles that keep appearing on newer models. Sort your quality control and beta testing out Dell, or you're going to lose custom!

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

January 25th, 2017 08:00

Thanks Gigles for your helpful posts.

@Community,

I can now confirm that a 1.3.2 BIOS version should be released on or around February 2nd. Subject to change.

If you're in urgent need you might be able to obtain the BIOS sooner by calling Dell technical support and mentioning document ID SLN304879.

No Events found!