Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 31st, 2015 08:00

XPS 13 Windows 10 install very slow

Hi,

I'm trying to update my XPS 13 w/WIndows 8.1 to Windows 10.  The machine is new with 8gb RAM and 512gb SSD.  It is taking forever.  I'm at a window "Upgrading Windows" It's at 1% for over two hours.  Is this normal?  Any suggestions about how to make this go faster?  I did disable the McAfee real time scan before starting the install.

Thanks,

-Jim

4 Posts

August 31st, 2015 08:00

Hi Jim,

I have the same machine only delivered last week and exactly the same problem. I wanted to do the upgrade before loading the machine with my software.

Tried it now 4 times and always stuck at 1% for hours. Left overnight and only 9% !!!

Factory restored machine tried again same issue. Googled for a fix non found tried again, left for 24 hours stuck at 9% saying on the bottome of the machine loading files at 6%.

Called Dell waiting for a response.

Looks like this is an issue.

Please advise if you found a solution as a 1K GPB + machine with I7 should be sweet. My old latitude updated in less then 1hr !!!

Thanks

Gary

8 Posts

August 31st, 2015 10:00

Hi Gary,

I haven't found a solution yet.  I have an old Studio XPS that had Windows 7 and it upgraded quickly, although I had to install it from media on a USB drive since the network install failed.  Tried using the same install media with the XPS 13 and it failed.

Have you tried the media install yet?  I'm also going to try uninstalling McAfee and turning off any services that may be checking files.

I also wonder if the secure boot has anything to do with it?  Just grasping at straws here.

I'll let you know if I figure anything out and would appreciate it if you do the same.

Best,

-Jim

8 Posts

August 31st, 2015 13:00

Hi Gary,

It appears that we are not alone in this.  Another thread was started with the same issue,  They're thinking it's the 512gb drive.  I just spent 40 minutes in chat with a Dell tech who took over my machine and basically did the same things that I did with pretty much the same results.  Still stuck at 0% in the circle and 2% copying files.  The one thing that the tech did differently was to install some newer drivers from the Dell site.  Didn't make a difference though. I'm wondering if the other folks with this problem are on to something with the drive.  Is yours a 512 or 256?

-JIm

4 Posts

August 31st, 2015 16:00

Hi Jim,

Mine is 512 gb version. I see some people think it could relate to the drive as you state!!

I really like the machine but if they do not come up with a solution it will be going back.

They at least should acknowledge the issue exists, when i called they made out this was not normal and the machine is compatble with the upgrade.

Did you see the post stating two types of 512 ssd one Samsung and HK something (sorry can not recall) perhaps the issue ??

Good luck lets see what they come back with.

Regards

Gary

September 1st, 2015 13:00

Hi all!

+1 for the issue, I also have the same configuration, i7 + 512 ssd

I have tried everything, uninstall antivirus, update drivers, reset to out of the box, try to install windows from usb with the creation tool, .... always the same result, and update too too slow, the far I've arrived, 14% total with 48% copying files, after 15 hours!! but getting slower and slower this porcentage turning to 0% of increase in the last 4 hours so I cancelled.

I have tried to contact with Dell support without success, I have read this comments and other and seems like all ones that have buy this laptop are advanced users, so it's not a common easy issue of a beginner user.

I have concluded that it's an issue with 512 ssd configuration of the XPS13 according to all facts:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/4997/t/19650696

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/4997/t/19645539

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/4997/p/19649509/20814497#20814497

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/4997/t/19650854

I would like also if someone knows how to elevate the priority of this issue to Dell, cause seems clear that it's an issue with the 512ssd that have been mounted on the XPS13 laptops build during August, maybe bad configuration? maybe bad ssd drives with issue of the manufacturer?

If they don't solve it, these threads are going to increase day by day as far as XPS13 512ssd laptops are build...

Personally I'm seriously considering return the laptop and give a total refund...

17 Posts

September 3rd, 2015 04:00

I bought an XPS13 with i7 5500, 8GB and 512 SSD in July. With that device I had another problem (black screen after wake up from standby) so it was picked up twice (without solving the problem) but after the second 'repair' there was another Windows 8.1 image installed, at least it was without all the Dell programms. There I did the Windows 10 Upgrade without any problems.

Now since yesterday I have a new device because Dell exchanged it (because the third repair with changing the motherboard here at home also didn't solve the problem, the technician was supposed to change the display as well but the spare part didn't work properly). And there I also have the problem with the very very slow upgrade. It was at 7% generally and at 24% for copying data after 10 hours. Then I abborted. At least it is easy to go back to 8.1... I didn't install much, just updates, Chrome and Firefox.

Thus I had one quick upgrade with the 512GB SSD, and one slow one....

I am going to deinstall all Dell programmes now and try again.

17 Posts

September 3rd, 2015 07:00

It didn't help to deinstall all Dell programmes. 2% copied files after one hour...

Now I found out that there are two different SSDs built into the two devices: Hynix PC200 in the new one, Samsung PM851 in the old one. AS SSD Benchmark says the hynix a lot fast than the Samsung...

September 3rd, 2015 13:00

Hi, I have tried several approches of windows install, media device, in and out of the laptop.... Always the same stuck... No solution on support assist...

I'm totally convinced that hk hynix is setting bad configurations on the discs, but no one of dell investigate this.... Well I'm tired of try to solve dell problems without help from them, so I decided return the laptop, give my money back and think about this laptop in future when problems solved or another computer between the ones that are going to appear with win10 installed...

good luck guys!

September 3rd, 2015 17:00

Hi Schwarzseher,

I strongly recommend:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/4997/t/19645539?pi239031352=2

cause seems that a user have found a real workaround under some conditions...

September 4th, 2015 17:00

Hi All,

Same thing here - i7, 512GB, and can't upgrade. Thinking of the return for refund myself - it doesn't look like the issue is going to be addressed by Dell, presumably because the top end product isn't bought by a large number relative to overall sales. It's a shame because physically very nice machine, but at this price these things should just work (should have gone with Apple perhaps...).

8 Posts

September 4th, 2015 19:00

I got Win 10 to install.  Had to create a USB stick with the Media Creation Tool.  Booted using the F12 key and ran the install after booting from the USB stick.  Then Windows 10 would not activate of course, so I contacted Microsoft.  They asked for my OEM Windows key (I used Belarc Advisor, a free download) to read the BIOS Windows key.  Gave them the key and they generated an install key for me.  I wouldn't been able to get Windows  10 to activate without their help.

After getting this up and running, I had to install the Dell drivers and their software.

I now have a working XPS13 with WIndows 10.

-Jim

September 5th, 2015 01:00

Hi astroguy, thank you for the info!

I have tried the same and also, win10 working, except one big problem, calling microsoft to a valid win10 key, they told me that due to I have done the media creation tool way... I have to pay

That I have to revert to win 8.1 and update trouh it (the way that failed)

So please which were the magic words you use to explain this?

8 Posts

September 5th, 2015 12:00

I'm not sure what I said that convinced them to upgrade me.  I did have the OEM key for the Windows 8.1 install to give them.  They validated it and then went in to my computer and activated the Windows 10 installation.  I told them 1.  It was a brand new machine from Dell.  2.  It had Windows 8.1 preinstalled and I had the OEM product key  3. I had already tried multiple times to do an "in place" upgrade that failed.  4. I had performed a clean install from a USB key that I had created with the Media Creation Tool.  5. Windows 10 was now installed but  needed to be activated.

I don't know what in this sequence of story telling convinced them to activate Windows 10.  They didn't actually give me a key, they activated it remotely controlling my computer.  I got the key later by running Belarc Advisor against the Windows 10 and saving the key information in a text file.

Good luck!

-Jim

4 Posts

September 7th, 2015 10:00

Bounce !!!!!

So it seems Dell acknowledge the problem and are looking for a fix!! I tried the clean install but failed. Dell have offerred me a refund. The other thread on this issue now has a Dell rep who yiou can PM.

Gary

4 Posts

September 8th, 2015 00:00

Hi Gary,

Which thread are you referring to? Have they offered anything more meaningful like a switch to the Samsung SSD or a Windows 10 key, or just a straight refund?

No Events found!