Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

October 26th, 2017 09:00

XPS 15 9560 Blue Screen Errors (3 different) following Windows Fall Creators Update

Everything was perfect before Fall Creators. Then within a day I got blue screen PFN_LIST_CORRUPT . Following this, bluetooth mouse was no longer paired and would not pair. Tried to roll back to previous restore point, but it failed.

So next, I did a factory reset. Updated everything, etc. Bluetooth still did not work. Called Dell support and finally got it to work. Took five minutes of waiting for mouse to be recognized, rather that 5-10 seconds as is usual.

Shortly after this, got another blue screen. Page Fault in Non-Paged Area

A few hours later, got another third blue screen. Different name, did not have time to save it before it went away.

What the is going on here? How do I make things work the way they are supposed to? The Dell diagnostics show no problems (of course). For the blue screen incidents, Dell app suggests removing software which caused problems and updating drivers. Neither of these work. (It is not possible to do a factory reset without getting Fall Creators Update.)

Please help!

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

October 27th, 2017 08:00

Both the PFN LIST Corrupt and Page Fault In Non Paged Area are memory issues.  

Did you run the Dell hardware diagnostics for an extended period?  Just running them for one pass or for short period may not show a problem (if one exists).  Specifically run the memory tests.

Short of a hardware problem, a complete reinstall would be the next step.  Hard to say what Windows (or app) that is causing this.   You say you did a "factory rest" but had problems with that which suggests the factory reset you did was faulty.  

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln297920/reset-or-reinstall-windows-10-on-your-dell-computer?lang=en

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

October 27th, 2017 08:00

Tried to roll back to previous restore point, but it failed.

When you do a build upgrade, all restore points or wiped out.  You should have been able to "Roll Back" the upgrade, which seems to work fairly well.

Otherwise, you seem to indicate the problem is related to Bluetooth.  You might be able to disable that either in the Device Manager or in the Bios to see if the Blue Screens stop.

If they do, remove and reinstall the drivers for Bluetooth and maybe Wi-Fi.  You will need to re-enable the device before doing driver updates.  Although you may be able to uninstall if the device shows in the hidden devices view in Device Manger.

• 

17K Posts

October 30th, 2017 05:00

Baroninkjet,
I have been noticing that many users are experiencing issues after the Fall Update. Restore the factory image and turn off the Microsoft Updates by following the information below.
How to block Windows 10 Fall Creators Update from installing

Below are some steps to try and resolve issues with the Fall Update

Windows 10 Fall Creators Update common installation problems and fixes

24 Posts

October 30th, 2017 08:00

Thanks all for suggestions. I have not had any further blue screens since the initial three reported. I don't believe there have been any updates other than virus definitions, so not sure how to explain it.

1. I was able to use the roll back update feature initially. However after a factory reset, that option is no longer available. And Fall Creators is installed as part of the initial updates during factory reset.

2. I have not done an extended memory test but will try that.

3. The bluetooth issue could also be the result of an issue with the Killer driver/software, unrelated to new Windows. The problem turned out to be that it took forever to recognize the mouse properly -- like 5 min instead of a few seconds. I have not tried to sync anything bluetooth since I got the laptop in August, so this could have been there a while and I did not notice it. Mouse works fine now.

Again, thanks for feedback. I will report back if I have anything useful to report.

16 Posts

November 3rd, 2017 06:00

Please try this

1) Open Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.

2) Click the Advanced System settings tab.

3) Under Performance, click Settings.

4) Click the Advanced tab.

5) Under Virtual Memory, click Change.

6) Click No paging file. Click OK, ok, ok and make sure to apply.

7) Restart your computer.

8) Open Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.

9) Click the Advanced System settings tab.

10) Under Performance, click Settings.

11) Click the Advanced tab.

12) Under Virtual Memory, click Change.

13) Click System managed sized. Click OK, ok, ok and make sure to apply.

14) Restart your computer.

3 Posts

June 1st, 2018 23:00

I had the same problem. My XPS15 9560 produces bluescreens at start-up, when I changed from 1 W-Lan to another and many times without an obvious reason I could think of. 4 different error codes. I went nuts trying to fix this problem. I replaced all the drivers... no help. I  made a new installation of Windows 10 and thought that I had killed the bug. But it reappeared. Then I read somewhere in the internet that W-lan could be a bluescreen producer. I had my share of W-Lan with this machine after I bought it but thought that this had been fixed by a Dell software update. So I bought an Intel Dual Band WLAN-AC 8265 M.2 Network card and threw out the killer wireless. This solved the problem. The card cost me around 30 $ which is a small price for solving this issue. It was my best investment in years 

No Events found!