Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 7th, 2015 01:00

XPS 8500 - Anyone successful with Windows 10 ?

As per subject has anyone successfully install Windows 10 on a Dell XPS 8500 ?

I've read posts about drivers not being available, other say they work fine..
I've read the BIOS won't support it... other say its fine.

Has anyone actually done it ? and how ?

14 Posts

October 15th, 2015 04:00

Got the same problem with Windows 7!

This morning, on my XPS 8500, Dell System Detect does not work anymore; my Dell Printer Manager does not work either!

Also, I can't have drivers : "DSD not found"!

A 3 years old top of the line PC!!!

Dell is running away from the PC business?

14 Posts

October 16th, 2015 11:00

What happens with Dell web site, the XPS PCs and Windows 10? Or just with Dell? Or just with Michael?

I am pretty sure I saw the other day that the newer top of the line XPS 8700 model supports Windows 10, but now I see the XPS 8700 newer top of the line model does not support Windows 10 anymore, but there is a newer newer XPS 8900 topper of the line model that supports Windows 10...

Will we tomorrow learn that a newer newer newer topper topper of the line XPS 9100 supports Windows 10 while the newer newer XPS 8700 not anymore topper of the line does not support Windows 10?

What am I going to do with my not so older XPS 8500 not long ago topper of the line that can't do it's job on Windows 10, and more now refuses working again on Windows 7 after a back migration?

Ask for support? I did!

Results? No!

October 20th, 2015 11:00

19 oct 2015 I upgraded the 8500 from Windows 8.1 pro to Windows 10 pro.

Checked that backup was fresh, then disconnected the USB Backup Plus device.

Got a fresh download of Windows 10 and let it do the vanilla MS upgrade.

It took about 1 hour in total time.

Then maybe 15 minutes as it asked to configure small stuff on the way back.

Ran the Dell Checkup this morning ( 20 oct 2015 ). It shows that the wireless is not working, all other sections passed. I don't use wireless for this tower/server, so not big deal.

I have been using IE 11 and not Edge, sine Symantec Norton plus Backup cautions about no interface with Edge.

Less than 24 hours on Windows 10, so we will see how it goes.

1 Message

October 20th, 2015 21:00

I fully understand what you say Arnold. Although I have been a customer of Dell for a long time, they will lose me as a customer when I chose to upgrade my computer in the future.

The failure to support the xps 8500 for the Windows 10 upgrade ( mine is only 3 years+ old), I find to be unacceptable, as the xps 8500 is a high spec computer easily capable of running windows 10 if the drivers were supported and updated. My friends feel the same way that I do!

I think Dell will lose some loyal customers because of this issue...

November 6th, 2015 09:00

I am using WIN 10 running on XPS 8500 with no problem, even after a GPU, PSU and SSD upgrade 2 years ago.

Good luck.

I've upgraded my XPS 8500 with a new SSD as well and windows 10 is running fine on it but I was wondering if you are using the generic sata controller driver or have you managed to find a better one? I ask this as my SSD benchmarks are lower than what they should be with the generic driver.

November 30th, 2015 18:00

30 nov 2015 - About 6 weeks with no problem on Windows 10 other than the drivers mentioned by others higher in this thread.

4 Operator

• 

5.2K Posts

November 30th, 2015 19:00

Congrats you 2 for successful upgrades. My five all went well, and have had a small number of easily fixed glitches.

You should not depend on Dell for driver updates, as they will not supply them when the computer is obsolete, about three years or so. Although Win 10 installs a large number of Win 10 compatible drivers that will work, some are not full featured, so when you are having problems, go to the hardware manufacturer's site and look for a Win 8 or 10 version. You do not need to install drivers that are certified by Dell, as they also are not always full featured. Win 8.x drivers in many cases will be compatible with Win10.

You should also consider upgrading to Win 10 TH2. It has even more drivers, and some problem areas cure themselves. Although I was able to install compatible Nvidia video drivers for two of my very old machines, this was not possible for my E1705 and I had to suffer with the MS generic non-HD driver; all Win 7, 8 an 10 drivers would not install. After upgrading to TH2, an older Win 7 driver installed and I regained all video functions!!!.

1 Message

January 1st, 2016 14:00

Windows Update does not work when I attempt to upgrade my XPS 8500.  Microsoft tech via chat says the system is not supported as yet which is why I get the 80070002 error when I attempt to download

4 Operator

• 

5.2K Posts

January 2nd, 2016 09:00

This error has been solved by deleting the Windows temporary update files. Search the web for the exact procedure. Search using "error 80070002 when installing Win 10".

3 Posts

January 5th, 2016 07:00

When I upgraded to W10 everything worked fine for a few months. I really like 10 better then 8.1

Windows had a major update a few weeks back and now my DELL printer, external hard drives and the SD card reader are not working properly. I'm getting communication errors for the printer. IF I uninstall the printer and External hard drive and then plug them back in, they work for a little while. I'm thinking about going back to W8.1.

January 6th, 2016 09:00

bigcat75

It was a large Windows 10 update. It took almost as long to update as the upgrade from Windows 8.1 to 10.

I have not had problems with my peripherals as a result of that update..

February 16th, 2016 12:00

I have had complete success on my 8500, using the upgrade nag that I was getting from Windows 7. It's been a couple of months and I don't think anything came up, and if it did it was answered in this thread. I decided to go for it because I realized that I'd had the box so long I could justify a new box if it came to that.

1 Message

May 16th, 2016 14:00

This is an old thread but my Dell 8500 XPS just crashed with the new Windows 10 update (5//16/16). Could not login with error message "Handle is invalid." Hex error 0x000021a. Tried Dell recovery USB I made several months ago but computer would not boot. I finally found an old Dell recovery USB I made in 2014 with Windows 8 on it and it booted the computer. Would like to use Windows 10 but will wait until someone discovers a fix.

6 Posts

May 23rd, 2016 17:00

I purchased my Dell XPS8300 from Costco in 2011 and overall it's been a good experience.  It came with Windows 7 and MS Office 2010 pre-installed.

In December 2014 I accepted MS's invitation to upgrade to Windows 10 Home.  My version currently is 10.0.10586 Build 10586.

I had the Start Menu problem and resolved it by uninstalling Dropbox.  As yet I haven't re-installed DB.   

One program -- Makemusic Finale Printmusic -- does not accept my purchased serial number.  PM pops a message box saying I must log on as Windows Administrator.  I can confirm that was and remains the case.

In a long dialog with the MM Support folks, they acknowledge the same problem being experienced by some Windows 10 Upgrade users.  But not with others, and never with Windows 10 pre-installed users.

MM Support believes there may be an issue with Windows, saying they need Microsoft (or someone who knows the full Windows permissions architecture) to help resolve this.

In the Windows Community forum, there are references to similar permission and authorization problems .  Windows Support offers to address this but wants to charge for it.

An option is to invoke something called Windows 10 Refresh, which installs Windows 10 and keeps the user's data.  What programs are retained or lost is a little vague.  I am concerned I will lose MS Office 2010 that came pre-installed by Dell.

If any knowledgeable users or Dell folks are listening, please chime in with any advice and feedback. 

4 Posts

July 31st, 2016 08:00

I did it without any problems last week (Ultimate 8.1 to Win 10 Pro) with the latest Bios A12

The only driver which couldn't updated: blueetooth driver

... but never used it before and because of this: I don't miss the functionality

No Events found!