Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

I

July 29th, 2015 19:00

XPS 8700, no Windows 10 upgrade, see error below

I noticed today in Windows Update that the Windows 10 update failed. Details:
"We couldn't install Windows 10.  We've set your PC back to the way it was just before you started installing Windows 10.  0xC1900101 - 0x20017 The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during BOOT operation"

So I got the UPGRADE tool (x64) and ran it. It failed too:

Any idea what could be wrong? XPS 8700 Mid 2013. Can't find much help on the web at all?

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

July 29th, 2015 20:00

:emotion-2:

Windows 10 | How to Fix Error Code: 80240020

https://youtu.be/UxnmB6U7BhU

190 Posts

July 30th, 2015 06:00

Tried that and more. That one, all it does is reload the files and starts again.

Latest fail is this:

I'm beginning to think it might be h/w related. I am running off of an SSD. I still have the ORIGINAL 1TB drive in the computer and the old C: partition is not used. Device Management capture:

The circled disk is my C:. E:, the OLD ORIGINAL C: is really hidden by the OS, but I'm wondering if there is a pointer to DISK 1 somewhere and it tries to find files there as it fails on re-boot?

190 Posts

July 30th, 2015 06:00

Oh, I also now are going into an 'infinite loop'. Windows Update shows this after the reboot, install doesn't happen, and I wind up back in Win 8.1's desktop and open Windows Update:

Wonder what is going on?

190 Posts

July 30th, 2015 09:00

Thinking it was a problem due to DISK0 and DISK1 and I wanted to install W10 on DISK1 I took out the other 2 drives and tried. Didn't work either??? DISK MANAGEMENT now:

At a complete loss here?

17 Posts

July 30th, 2015 12:00

I think you may be on to something with the disk 0 - disk 1 thing.  Although I am on different hardware, I too cloned my OS to an SSD on disk 1 and have the original 1TB hard drive in there as disk 0.  I did completely reformat the hard drive so it should not be possible that any old partitions are negatively affecting the install.  I even tried disconnecting disk 0 and I still get the errors.  At this point, I continue to research and am enjoying Win 10 on other machines.

190 Posts

July 30th, 2015 12:00

Well we probably do have the same problem I guess. Isn't the drive0/1 thing it seems as I've reconfigured and it didn't help, unless there is a pointer about that hidden somewhere?

Odd part was when I exchanged Drive0 and 1's SATA port I forgot to change the BIOS and it booted to the original C: Wonder if I should have tried to update that?

Post back here is you get it 'solved', I sure don't have it.

13 Posts

July 30th, 2015 15:00

I'm in the same boat... XPS 8700 mid 2013.  Machine came from Dell with the OS installed on the spinner drive, for whatever reason, so I cloned to the SSD, leaving me with the same situation.  Same error.  I"ve tried everything I could think of and everything that seems to have solved the error code for others....some dating back to the same code given in effort to update 8.1 from 8.  And for what it's worth, I've tried using the Dell disk to reinstall 8.1.  Same error.  If I get it, I'll let you know...

190 Posts

July 30th, 2015 15:00

Well, 1 hour and 33 minutes on the phone with MS...

They tried all the same things I did, Windows Update and  Update Tool. No fix... and they did add a Registry entry.

Locate the registry key: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\OSUpgrade]
It should exist, but if not, create it.
Create a new DWORD (32-bit) Value with Name = "AllowOSUpgrade” (without the quotes), and set the Value = 0x00000001.

Did not help... MS should call back in 2 to 3 days.

1 Message

July 30th, 2015 16:00

im stuck with the same problem. and lol this is after i got rid of a virus onn my computer so this is really frustrating :(

190 Posts

July 30th, 2015 17:00

Well I had another idea. I'll use the UPGRADE tool to create a USB drive for installing.

Well, it 'sort' of worked. It went through the normal stuff and started a reboot. Boom, Installing Windows. It was ALL downhill from there...

Asked for my license, which of course I didn't copy down, but I noticed later that if it was in your BIOS you can skip it and it will be found later.

Next I was asked if I wanted to keep my existing programs and data or a fresh install. Did the keep.

Next step was more confusing. Seemed to say I should remove the USB drive if that is what I was using and continue. Next screen asked for missing drivers and if I had a USB/DVD with the media I should insert it. Never found anything. Maybe I miss understood the prior message, don't know. I did NOT boot from the USB drive but ran from it SETUP while W8.1 was booted. Maybe that had something to do with it. At that point I just cancelled by closing it. Got the message it was rolling back and up came the W8.1 desktop.

I think I'll wait to hear from MS before I go mess with this again unless someone else gets it to work this way. I have NO confidence it will work. I do keep drive back-ups though.

July 30th, 2015 17:00

Im in the same boat.  XPS 8700, and replaced my IDE drive with an SSD.

I read on another form a gentlemen installed his SSD to a regular port rather than the RAID port and windows 10 actually booted and then he reinstalled the RAID driver from Dell's website and it worked fine.

Have to try that.  (btw having issues updating to windows 8.1 too !)

10 Posts

July 30th, 2015 20:00

Same boat here, 8700 less than a month old. Cloned to SSD, took out original and put in 5TB program drive. Did everything you guys did, and got it to work for three reboots, until the fourth came up with BSD, and a windows boot-loader fail. (Good thing I had another clone, to get back to 8.1) Must be a SSD thing of course. :)

Worked once from upgrade now, tool fails every time:

www.microsoft.com/.../windows10

10 Posts

July 31st, 2015 05:00

Thanks for the info, let us know if you get an answer. I have the same problem, on a Dell 8700 with cloned SSD. Tried all the stuff above and beyond. Got it to load once, then BSD crashed after a couple of reboots.  Haven't tried the clean install on the SSD, but might try on a different drive. Good thing I have another clone of my 8.1 image as this would be a very frustrating experience.  Obvious it looks like a SSD hardware thing...

190 Posts

July 31st, 2015 10:00

Obvious it looks like a SSD hardware thing...

I'm wondering if it is the UEFI BIOS... scouring the web I did see (lost the link) where a post showed BIOS setting although it had UEFI the setting was for LEGACY!

Not 100% sure but I think I had to do that for the cloning of the SSD?

Meanwhile I'm going to wait and see IF MS even calls me in the next few days... before I even try anything else.

190 Posts

July 31st, 2015 10:00

JUST saw this!!!

A11 BIOS released today. Supports W10!!!

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=TDDNW&fileId=3475261868&osCode=WB64A&productCode=xps-8700&languageCode=EN&categoryId=BI

No Events found!