Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 15th, 2017 13:00

XPS8700 and Fall Creators Update

I have an XPS8700 and am waiting for the Fall Creators Update (really just the Onedrive files on demand feature).  It is not offered as an automatic update for me yet so I'm wondering if anyone has installed it manually and if so how is it working?

Thank You

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

November 15th, 2017 16:00

Are you getting other updates from Microsoft? In other words, is Windows Update actually working?

Read this for ways to get it before WU offers it:

www.windowscentral.com/how-get-windows-10-fall-creators-update

Don't have an XPS 8700, but I updated my Dell laptop from Creators to Fall Creators with no problems. And I've only seen a few sporadic reports of some (minor) issues on Dell's forums.

Always good to back up personal files on external media before attempting a major update like this, to be safe. And have the product keys for any apps you installed handy too, just in case...

December 1st, 2017 06:00

Besides the fact that it gives a (fake) firewall error on my panda antivirus free, it has completely messed up my video drivers, resetting it to a generic windows graphic driver from 2006! When I wanted to go to control panel that suddenly gives an error as well.

1 Message

December 1st, 2017 11:00

I have an XPS 8700.  Fall Creators  1709 was offered to me via Windows update.  I tried to install it using Windows update, but it never installs.  In my update history, the message "Requires a restart to finish installing" is listed multiple times.  Restarts fail to complete the install.  Also tried using Windows Update Assistant and the same thing happens.  I also own a newer Dell Inspiron 3847 and the same thing is happening to that.

371 Posts

December 2nd, 2017 12:00

I installed it on mine just shortly after it became available. I've had no problems.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

December 2nd, 2017 15:00

Installed it on mine just shortly after it became available. I've had no problems.

Just because you didn't have problems doesn't help him, does it?

371 Posts

December 3rd, 2017 00:00

datapod

Installed it on mine just shortly after it became available. I've had no problems.

No it doesn't 

His specific question was " I'm wondering if anyone has installed it manually and if so how is it working?" I specifically answered that question.

What specifically is your contribution?

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

December 3rd, 2017 07:00

ieee488

datapod

No it doesn't 

His specific question was " I'm wondering if anyone has installed it manually and if so how is it working?" I specifically answered that question.

It is clear he is having problems with his install. 

What? He enjoys conducting a poll?????

371 Posts

December 3rd, 2017 08:00

datapod

ieee488

datapod

No it doesn't 

It is clear he is having problems with his install. 

What? He enjoys conducting a poll?????

What exactly is your problem?

OP asked exactly one question. I answered that question. That's how this works.

What's clear is he hasn't installed it yet and wanted to know if anyone with the same computer had. No where does it say he's having a problem with the install.

So let me ask you again. Aside from being snarky toward someone actually trying to be helpful what have you contributed?

12 Posts

December 3rd, 2017 09:00

Thanks to those who answered.  I get other Windows updates but the Fall Creators Update never showed up.  I manually installed it and it was successful.  Thank You.

371 Posts

December 3rd, 2017 09:00

Thanks to those who answered.  I get other Windows updates but the Fall Creators Update never showed up.  I manually installed it and it was successful.  Thank You.

It's good to know you didn't have any problems with the install.

No Events found!