Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 1st, 2018 18:00

outdated recovery tool

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/Drivers/OSISO/recoverytool

This tool downloads old Windows 10 that is dated back to 2015 and it does not contain all cumulative Windows updates. After the installation of Windows 10, I had to do Windows update that took more than 4 hours to download all updates. It would be greatly appreciated if you could include all updates in the recovery tool ASAP.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

February 8th, 2018 23:00

The problem is that the Dell OS recovery Tool creates out of date Recovery Media. The Windows 10 Media Creation Tool will give you up to date Windows 10 Installation Media:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/windows-oem-faqs-and-downloads/#V1709Clean

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

February 1st, 2018 18:00

Have you ever tried making a Windows 10 recovery drive?  If you know a recovery drive is possible, is there still some reason you want to use an out of date recovery media?

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

February 9th, 2018 12:00

Dell is working on an updated OS Recovery tool.  I just did some Beta testing for them today.  I have no info on when the new procedure will be implemented.  

2 Posts

February 14th, 2018 17:00

@Saltgrass Yea. My laptop got upgraded to SSD from HDD and I've copied the recovery drive to SSD and it did not work well due to driver issue. I've googled around and people had this same issue. I was not aware that the tool is outdated at that time.

@Philip_Yip Thanks for the link!

@fireberd Thanks for the update. Much appreciated.

2 Posts

March 9th, 2018 07:00

Hi,

Will the updated recovery tool cater for machines like a Dell Precision which shipped with Win7 Pro but now runs Creators Edition? Or will it only restore Windows 7?

Thanks

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

March 9th, 2018 09:00

@Timmaaahwrote:

Hi,

Will the updated recovery tool cater for machines like a Dell Precision which shipped with Win7 Pro but now runs Creators Edition? Or will it only restore Windows 7?

Thanks

Recovery tool works with the recovery partition on the PC's hard drive.

If the PC came with Windows 7 Pro that is what will be recovered.

If the PC came with Windows 8 that is what will be recovered.

If the PC came with Windows 10 that is what will be recovered.

2 Posts

March 11th, 2018 14:00

Thanks - in other words, the utility is not useful if you've had a HDD replacement.

No Events found!