Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 30th, 2016 17:00

software transfer from old dying windows 10 system to new Dell windows 10 sytem

I am wondering if there is some software available to transfer all of my current by dying system to my new system.  I tried PC mover and it only transferred about 20% of my information and left enormous amounts of data and programs behind of which almost all were free type software.

Would appreciate any assistance

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

April 30th, 2016 17:00

:emotion-2:

4 Operator

• 

2.3K Posts

May 4th, 2016 11:00

I'm not sure you can move programs themselves, just the data like saved games and pictures, movies, itunes stuff, etc.  The software like Office, Games, etc. installs files all over the place and puts stuff in the registry which generally cannot be moved from one PC to another.  If most of your stuff is free software, I would download it all onto the new computer and focus on moving your personal files.

4 Operator

• 

5.2K Posts

May 9th, 2016 23:00

You can use clonning software to install an exact copy of the old hard drive to a new system, assuming that the old installation is not faulty. You will have an exact copy, including the old version of Windows. As mentioned above, reinstalling the old programs will result in a cleaner installation. Do nt depend on any software to movecall thecdata. Copy it yourself on a flash drivec and paste it in the necessary folders.

No Events found!