Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 3rd, 2016 17:00

upgrade windows 7 to Windows 10 for Inspiron 17 N7010

Has anyone had any success with this upgrade going from Win7 to Windows 10?  What were the issues you had?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 4th, 2016 05:00

Hi,

Thank you for writing to us!

Ideally you should not have issues upgrading as long as all the drivers and updates are installed on the system .

Kindly let us know if there are any issues.

Thanks

Robin

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

April 4th, 2016 07:00

Please click on the link below.....

en.community.dell.com/.../20895203

2 Posts

April 5th, 2016 04:00

Thanks for the quick reply Robin. I decided to first try updating all my drivers on my XPS 8500 and N7010. I licensed Driver Booster 3, and it identified far far more outdated drivers (17 versus 2 for N7010) than Dell's support tools. Not sure why that is. I wanted to make sure there were no problems getting my computer as current as possible before the Win10 upgrade.   I ran into problems updating some of the system device drivers. At this point, I'm just going to stick with Win7 and Win8.1 respectively. Probably cheaper to buy new computers than invest the time and headache to upgrade.  FWIW, after 25 years of being a Dell customer (and pushing family and friends to buy Dell) I won't buy Dell ever again. The XPS 8500 is only 3 years old. It's very disappointing that Dell is not testing for Win10 compatibility.

4 Operator

• 

5.2K Posts

April 5th, 2016 12:00

It makes no sense to update drivers BEFORE the Win 10 upgrade. Win 10 installs all drivers that are needed. These are "generic" and may not have all the functions needed, so you may need to search out "official" drivers. I upgraded one Inspiron 17 without difficulty. The only issue was an unstable internet connections, which is a very common problem with Win 10 upgrades. This was fixed by changing the DNS Server address from Automatically selected to a free fixed address DNS server. This address change works very well for many machines. A good one is 208.67.222.222 primary and 208.67.220.220 secondary.

I would NEVER use a third party driver utility. When they supply a driver for a particular piece of hardware with a very current date and the OEM doesn't supply the same driver, you could have big problems, as you don't have a clue to the source and compatibility of the driver.

You should never update drivers just to do it, but if you have a need based on a significant issue. I usually only update Nvidia drivers if necessary. Even then, they have a current driver update that is apparently trashing hardware.

No Events found!