Start a Conversation

Unsolved

L

1 Rookie

• 

116 Posts

July 25th, 2021 13:00

XPS 8930, Windows 11, TPM

I bought my XPS 8930 i5 desktop in mid 2018. Lightly customized now with 1TB Samsung EVO NVMe SSD replacing the HDD that came with the machine when I bought it. Also upgraded RAM to 16GB.

I've installed Windows 11 Preview as I'm in the Windows Insider program. This 8930 is 100% capable of running Windows 11. So if you have one that's 3 years old as mine is, you should be relaxed knowing you can run Windows 11.

What about the TPM that I see lots of posts about in this forum? There's quite a bit of talk out there, too, that Microsoft isn't enforcing its hardware requirements for the Preview of 11. Whether that's true or not, rest assured that your XPS 8930 does have the required TPM installation. How to check? In Windows 10, run PowerShell as an administrator and type "get-tpm" (without the quotes, all as one word) on the command line.

You'll see this (screenshot):

Check for TPMCheck for TPM

If by any chance your XPS 8930 isn't TPM-enabled, some or all of the results shown in the first five lines of results you see in the screenshot should say 'False' rather than 'True.'

This is the simplest test. There are other methods, too, see this article: https://www.howtogeek.com/287737/how-to-check-if-your-computer-has-a-trusted-platform-module-tpm-chip/

No Responses!
No Events found!