Start a Conversation

Unsolved

J

1 Rookie

• 

121 Posts

March 26th, 2021 18:00

After a full erase, can I install Windows 8.1 in another computer ?

I have a Dell Inspiron 3542 laptop. It originally came with Windows 8.1 , however as I had no further need of Windows, it was uninstalled/erased. Further down the track now, and as there is a need to run MS Money, I have installed a Virtual machine in the laptop, then installed the Win 8.1, and then MS Money.  It was a reasonable theory to do it that way, however now all I see is a blank screen in windows, plus other VM problems (performance especially), I'm considering trying to install the Win 8.1 on another laptop, a HP 4330S

I did actually purchase a CD from Dell in June 2015 with the Windows 8.1 on it. The item number is 634-10276 KIT - Deployment Solution Media Kit - OM Kit. It has a red label on the CD with Windows 8.1 Recovery media.

If the Windows 8.1 that is now on the Inspiron 3542 is completely erased, can I install Windows 8.1 on the HP 4330S, using the Dell media CD ?

• 

25.7K Posts

March 27th, 2021 12:00

We tried reaching you on a private message asking for the Service Tag number to ascertain the warranty but did not receive a response. Please feel free to reply to the private message whenever you are available.

1 Rookie

• 

121 Posts

March 27th, 2021 14:00

Honestly, these constant "reminders" from a bot are bordering on harrassment. Please see https://www.dell.com/community/New-to-Dell-Community/Spam-mails-by-Dell-Virtual-Assistant/td-p/7373429/

My service code/tag is exactly the same as it was when I purchased the laptop. Why would it change ?

No Events found!