Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 1st, 2013 23:00

Back Up and Recovery Software

Recently Dell's back up and recovery software started popping up messages asking if I wanted to upgrade to a Pro version of their software for about $60. When this message appears in the task bar, my computer slowly starts to come to a grinding halt. I usually have to restart my system and I get about a couple of days to a weeks reprieve. But eventually this happens again. I can not find any settings to stop this.

If Dell does not want to give me their best software products after I spent over $1,000 for their system, then at least don't sabotage my system for using an inferior product.

My solution was to just uninstall the inferior software and quit using Dell's software anywhere on my system (where appropriate).

What I would like is to use Dell's software but without it crashing my system when it checks for updates. Any suggestions? I run Windows 8 which came pre-installed on my system (Inspiron 660).

Thanks.

22 Posts

June 2nd, 2013 16:00

several method to TURN off the DELL updater... easy way - win key + X -> run as admin ->type msconfig -> enter->

I prefer to disable under services... when you reboot is will be TURN OFF or you can disable under task manager.

22 Posts

June 2nd, 2013 11:00

disable the auto search... that is what I did, then I run it 1st of ea month...

June 2nd, 2013 14:00

I'm assuming you mean turn off auto update. I have Windows Auto Update turned off. The backup and recovery software is Dell's. And like I stated, I can't find the setting to turn it off. This is not the same as Windows 8 auto update.

June 2nd, 2013 22:00

may be it's a Dell's own setting to keep pop up it's messages .. have you try to contact the Dell's technical Support for a right  solution ... it'll surely work..

June 5th, 2013 09:00

Thanks everybody for your help.

After uninstalling Dell's backup and recovery software and turning off Windows Update and rebooting the system several times everyday, my Windows 8 started to run normally (or as expected).

My feeling is there is a registry entry somewhere trying to look for Dell's update software and is timing out the system waiting for a response. After turning off Windows 8 update and disabling the update service (which didn't turn itself off), my system is no longer grinding to a halt.

I have a feeling when I run a registry cleaner then re-enable Windows 8 update, I'll have the problem solved.

I'll talk with Dell about their software, they'll probably tell me what I need to know.

Thanks again everybody.

22 Posts

June 5th, 2013 09:00

After turning off Windows 8 update and disabling the update service (which didn't turn itself off), my system is no longer grinding to a halt. - fact is just because you disabled, it will still continue to run until you REBOOT, THEN IT IS OFF. You can also go advanced and click SHUTDOWN... that is OFF. but disable = reboot to go off.

You really want all the best latest Update Drivers, get you a good 3d party, to will get the drivers, not all drivers are approved by DELL... but M$ does offer more and better, also the Manufacture of the Hardware offers Updates.

I removed Dells Update Search a long time ago....

3 Apprentice

• 

20.5K Posts

June 6th, 2013 06:00

I have a feeling when I run a registry cleaner then re-enable Windows 8 update, I'll have the problem solved.
Have you run a registry cleaner on that system before? That may be why you are having problems now. Registry cleaners can create more problems than solve them.  Do you really need the Dell software? Are you able to leave it uninstalled? By now you should have your own backup anyway, and can use Windows System Restore if you need to.

22 Posts

June 6th, 2013 07:00

Several excellent backup solutions on the market, Windows it self has a backup, I use Acronis, I also have made the original Backup disk (Dells Disks), and I really so no way that a Accidental delete of that Partition. I also regularly run

1.) Defrag Program  2.) RegCleaner Program  I have never lost a program due to running any of them, Defrag is not recommended on a SSD.  IDE -ATA-SATA there is no problem with on them.  I have used since early Windows.. and in DOS.  After you run such programs it is always best to REBOOT... You can set Windows update different way, you can remove Dells program and suffer no problems. you can totally disable M$ update and suffer no problems.  This is suppose to be How to assist and save others $$$.

3 Apprentice

• 

20.5K Posts

June 6th, 2013 09:00

you can totally disable M$ update
I assume you mean automatic update. You need to keep Windows updated, but it can be done manually.

I don't support the use of so called "registry cleaners" because they can aggravate a situation and take steps we are many times not manually aware of.

It is better not to resort to such programs if you don't know what is happening with the proposed fix and the registry.
Otherwise, a change to the registry can make a system unbootable by one mistake. Registry cleaners are not able to distinguish between good and bad, other than to delete keys which are not being used and are obsolete. Those keys may be needed by the operating system or by programs later on.

Here are some good discussions:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Are-registry-cleaners-necessary
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=28099
http://blogs.technet.com/b/markrussinovich/archive/2005/10/02/registry-junk-a-windows-fact-of-life.aspx
http://www.whatthetech.com/2007/11/25/do-i-need-a-registry-cleaner/
http://billpstudios.blogspot.com/2007/04/do-i-need-registry-cleaner.html

If you absolutely must use a registry cleaner, always backup the registry first.

June 6th, 2013 10:00

Note: I have never ran a registry cleaner on this system. It is a new system with only World of Warcraft and Open Office installed. All trial ware that came preloaded on the system has been removed.

June 6th, 2013 10:00

Any time I adjust any setting on my system no matter how small, I always reboot. I have learned long time age that MS likes people to reboot their OS often. And that part of the bench mark MS uses on new OS's is how fast they can reboot just because they know people will be rebooting their systems often.

No Events found!