Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 19th, 2015 20:00

Can I restore my Dell Windows 8 with a restore disk from a different Dell Windows 8.1 computer?

Bought an inspiron in 2013. Came with Windows 8.0  "upgraded" to WIndows 10 technical preview.  It's buggy and I can't rollback.  I can't find the recovery disk.

I bought another inspiron in 2015, Windows 8.1.  I have the restore disk for that computer.  Can I restore the 2013 computer with the 2015 disk, or is the license tied to the CD that came with the computer?

Alternatively, can I order a restore disk for the 2013 computer?  I just can't rollback the Windows 10.

thanks!

Adam

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

May 20th, 2015 01:00

You should have made recovery media with Dell Backup and Recovery before installing Windows 10 Insider Preview.

DVD media is useless if you want a proper install with UEFI and SecureBoot. Its better to download a .iso and prepare a FAT32 formatted USB flash drive. I write pretty detailed instructions here:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/download-microsoft-windows-and-office/download-microsoft-windows/download-windows-8-1-retail-and-oem-iso/

The main issue is determining the correct edition because you can't boot into your previous install and the fact that no .iso is available for the with Bing editions. However a 2013 system should be before the Bing Editions were released. Likely the edition is Windows 8.1 or Windows 8.1 Single Language.

No Events found!