Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 18th, 2015 16:00

Dell Backup and Recovery won't let me use a 128GB flash drive

I bought Dell Premium Backup and Recovery after my less than two year old Inspiron 15 Windows 8.1 crashed and Windows could not be restarted without a Refresh.  Then I learned that produced only Windows 8 so I had to run updates for Windows 8 so I could download and install Windows 8.1.  This all took the better part of a day.

I then learned from Dell that if I wanted to create a recovery disk for Windows 8.1 I would have to upgrade to Premium, which I did.  I then learned I would need a 100gb or bigger external device for a system backup.

So now I have a brand-new PNY 128gb USB 3.0 flash drive - and Dell Premium Backup refuses to recognize it! 

Any ideas what the problem might be?  The flash drive is FAT32 formatted.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

• 

17K Posts

February 19th, 2015 05:00

jmbensky,

Try formatting the flash drive again using the NTFS format instead of fat or fat 32. Once you have done this your system should recognize the full amount of the usb flash drive. Then perform your backup.

10 Posts

February 19th, 2015 16:00

I did this - full format, not quick format, and the entire drive is now NTFS.  But I still have the same problem.  When I "browse" to select where to put a system backup, the Backup program does not show the flash drive; it only shows my c: drive.

The flash drive appears and is fully accessible in Windows Explorer.

No Events found!