Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 20th, 2014 09:00

Downloading an official (DELL) ISO o Windows 8.1

Hi. 

I wanted to install Linux next to Windows 8.1 and made a mistake in the process, so I have only Linux mint on my device now.

I missed creating a backup of windows before starting the Linux installation. :S

Is there a way I can download a iso of Windows 8.1 that would work with the licence I have? Preferably from Dell itself...

(I know about downloading directly from windows itself. But that download work only with retail licences)

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

November 20th, 2014 10:00

Actually Microsoft released a new downloader - Windows 8.1 media creation tool which will work with a Dell OEM license, see here for more details:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/download-microsoft-windows-and-office/download-microsoft-windows/download-windows-8-1-retail-and-oem-iso/

You will need to use a Windows OS to download it however.

2 Posts

November 20th, 2014 12:00

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

This is exactly what I was looking for.

Youst one small question. Do you know if I have to donload the language which came preinstalled on my device (german) or can I download the one I fancy (en)?

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

November 20th, 2014 17:00

I think you can download any language especially for Windows 8.1 and Windows 8.1 Professional. These are designed so you can change the language pretty easily.

There is however a variant that is Windows 8.1 Single Language, where you are only licensed to use a single language. However as far as I can tell the generic product key for the single language works between different languages therefore a single language product key should work for any single language .iso. I can't say its something I've tested as I only speak English.

1 Message

February 19th, 2016 13:00

That page you linked is a train wreck.  How many more ads do you think you can fit on there?

Fail.

January 18th, 2019 15:00

PLZ HELP MY WIN- 8.1 PRO PRODUCT KEY NOT FOUND 

January 18th, 2019 15:00

my service tag-

No Events found!