Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 15th, 2013 15:00

Error 0xc0000001

Hi!

So I recently got my brand new Alienware X51 with Win8 pre-installed. Everything went well and I have had no issues until our apartment got a black-out and my PC decided to die. When the power was back on, I tried turning it on, but instead got an error message. Here as follows:

Recovery

Your PC needs to be repaired

The application or operating system couldnot be loaded because a requested file is missing or contais content errors.

File:\windows\system32\windload.efi

Error code: 0xc0000001

Also I need to mention that I did NOT get any Recovery CD/DVD with the pc itself. What should I do??

April 16th, 2013 01:00

Hi Katerina Raylyan,

It appears to be a problem with the operating system file which might have been corrupted because of power failure. You may follow the steps below and try repair the OS.

• Power off the computer
  • Restart the system. At the system logo screen immediately  press and hold 'SHIFT' and tap the 'F8' key to enter 'Recovery' and select 'See advanced repair option'.

• At 'Choose an option' click 'Troubleshoot'

• At 'Troubleshoot' click 'Advanced options'

• Right at 'Advanced Options' screen left-click 'Windows Startup Settings' 

• Now, at 'Windows Startup Setting' click 'Restart' and allow your system to finish with the process. It will do the repair without making any changes to your important folders. 

If the issue persists, you may try 'Automatic Repair' option in the above step and check if it is able to fix the issue.

Hope this helps. Please reply with the findings.

April 16th, 2013 14:00

Thanks! But unfortunately this does not work. I have tried the SHIFT-F8 a gazillion times, and it's not that my keyboard is unresponsive, the system just seems to dodge the command. I am still able to access the UEFI firmware settings though.

Is there anything else one could do?? I purchased the desktop in the US, and apparently any local Dell Service centers don't really help the helpless.

April 17th, 2013 02:00

Hi Katerina Raylyan,

If the above option didn't work for you, you may try to crash your system 3 to 4 times to access Advanced Recovery Options. For crashing Windows 8 system, you may power off the system while it is trying to load Windows OS (i.e. after Dell logo), either by taking the battery out or by pressing and holding the power button down till the computer powers off. Once you are able to access Recovery Options, you may try the above steps or you may try to 'Refresh' the computer in 'Troubleshoot' option.

Note : The apps that came with your PC or you installed from Windows Store will be reinstalled, but any apps you installed from other websites and DVDs will be removed. Windows puts a list of the removed apps on your desktop after refreshing your PC.

Please reply with the findings.

April 17th, 2013 15:00

Sorry, no working. I have tried crashing after the Alienware logo, but no use. It still displays the "Recovery" page with the error code. Situation unchanged.

April 19th, 2013 09:00

Hi Katerina Raylyan,

As none of the options are working, you may try running diagnostics on the system to verify the hardware functionality :

• Power on the laptop
  • Press F12 button on keyboard when you see Alienware logo
  • Highlight Diagnostics option and press Enter
  • Let the diagnostics run and reply with error messages if any and continue tests

If the diagnostic pass, you may try crashing the computer at Alienware logo (When Circling dots appear) to access recovery options.

Please reply with the findings. i would be glad to assist you.

April 19th, 2013 10:00

I too am currently experiencing the exact same issue! I am running Diagnostics right now. Never got a CD with it,brand new Inspiron 5521 just got itg a couple months ago! Please help! Shift F8 will not work. I tried crashing it that didn't work either. Thank you

April 19th, 2013 11:00

I received an Error - 2000-0142  Validation- 99935 Message Hard Drive 0 -S/N W0V443P7

April 19th, 2013 19:00

All tests were passed during the Diagnostics. The recovery page still appears after reboot and is displaying the same error code. 

April 22nd, 2013 06:00

Hi Katerina Raylyan,

It appears that there are issues with OS it may require manual re-installation. Please Private Message the service tag and the name on the account (Click on my name and click on start conversation). I will check the information and will take it further from here.

Please reply if you have any further questions.

April 22nd, 2013 08:00

Hi TanyaGaston,

The error code indicates an issue with the hard drive. Please Private Message the service tag and the name on the account (Click on my name and click on start conversation). I will check the information and will take it further from there.

Please reply if you have any further questions.

2 Posts

May 26th, 2013 04:00

Hey there!

Right now I am experiencing quite the same problem as others did in this thread.

Same Error Code as Katerina Raylyan and cant make it to the "advanced repair options".

"Shift" + "F8" after System logo also doesnt work for me, trying to crash my system didnt make any success either.

Afterwards I ran the Diagnostics, where I got the following Error-Message:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

**Hard Drive 0 - DST Short Test**

Test Results: Fail

Error Code 2000-0142

Validation 66405

Msg: Hard Drive 0 - S/N WD-WXJ1A81M0579, Short self test unsuccessful.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!

Greetings,

j.guhlke

May 28th, 2013 11:00

Hi j.guhlke,

The error message on your system indicates a hard drive failure. If you are able to boot in the Operating system, I would suggest you to backup important data as the Hard drive will need replacement.

If the system is under warranty, please private message the service tag and name on account (Click on my name and click Start Conversation). I Will look into the details and inform you about further course of action.

If the system is out of warranty and you are located in US, you may contact OWR on 1800-288-4410.

Please reply with the findings. I would be glad to help you.

June 4th, 2013 17:00

Ran a full diagnostics & there were no issues. So now what are my options???

June 4th, 2013 17:00

I am also having the same issue & no luck with the system crash. Running diagnostics now

June 6th, 2013 11:00

Hey!

So thanks! My friend got the CD and as soon as the envelope arrives to me and I install it - I'll update the well-being of my PC

No Events found!