Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 26th, 2013 05:00

How can I uninstall windows 8 and install windows 7 on a Inspiron 17R SE 7720

I bought my Inspiron 17R SE with Windows 8 installed in December 2012. I have tried my best to get to grips with Windows 8 but for the most part I don't like it. I tried using Classic Shell so it looked like Windows 7 but I still did not like it.  Windows 8 seems to me to be not realy suitable for Laptop use.

I want to uninstall Windows 8 and install my own copy of Windows 7 Pro but I am not sure if it will install on a Laptop originally setup for Windows 8.  I have asked Technical Support about this but I was told that Dell would not support this so they could not help me.

Can anyone here help me with detailed instructions on how to achieve what I want...I have read that the Bios settings needs to be changed before I start but don't know what to do.

Thanks

Jan

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

March 26th, 2013 16:00

Follow A Clean Install of Windows 7 in my Windows Reinstallation Guide and Related Wikies:

http://philipyip.wordpress.com/dell-community-forums/

1.5K Posts

March 26th, 2013 06:00

Hi Jan,

Welcome to the community.

Please check the link below which would be helpful in resolving the issue you have with the system:

http://dell.to/YWMP1L

If you have any further queries please feel free to contact us.

Thanks and Regards
Sandeep P
#iworkfordell

12 Posts

March 26th, 2013 07:00

Hi Sandeep, Thank you for your reply.  I have tried the link in your post but all I get is "Article Not Found"

12 Posts

March 26th, 2013 11:00

Hi Sandeep,The link you gave is now working.  I am not sure if the information is relevant as it refers to downgrading from Windows 8 Pro to Windows 7 Pro...I have only Windows 8 on my Laptop so I can't do a downgrade 7Pro.  I believe my only option is to remove Windows 8 and do a clean install off a licenced copy of Windows 7 Pro.  I understand this is not as straight forward as simly loading the Windows 7 installation disk...I believe changes have to be made in the Bios before I can do this.

Jan

12 Posts

March 27th, 2013 12:00

Thank you for the links which I will look at as soon as Dell allows me to...I am getting the message "Article Not Found" at the moment.

Thanks

Jan

1 Message

March 27th, 2013 14:00

The answer of the question interest me as well. I bought a laptop, received it yesterday and I just cant stand Windows 8.. at all. I have a retail copy of Windows 7, so I'm wondering if I can format the HDD and just do a fresh install of Windows 7 instead, and if the Bios, wifi, motherboard, etc. drivers are available for Windows 7 on Dell.ca

Sorry my English, not my first language.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

March 27th, 2013 19:00

The answer of the question interest me as well. I bought a laptop, received it yesterday and I just cant stand Windows 8.. at all. I have a retail copy of Windows 7, so I'm wondering if I can format the HDD and just do a fresh install of Windows 7 instead, and if the Bios, wifi, motherboard, etc. drivers are available for Windows 7 on Dell.ca

Sorry my English, not my first language.

Yes you can, follow A Clean Install of Windows 7 in my Windows Reinstallation Guide and Related Wikies:

http://philipyip.wordpress.com/dell-community-forums/ 

You will have to alter the BIOS settings as instructed.

12 Posts

March 28th, 2013 04:00

I have now had a look at your guides and I feel that I can now go ahead with the installation of Windows 7 followig your very helpfull instructions.

Thank you very much for your help.

Jan

8 Posts

April 1st, 2013 14:00

Trying to do the same thing myself using a Dell Win 7 64b OEM DVD and so far I have not been able to do it.  I keep getting an error message that no HDDs can be found and a request for drivers which I do not have.  See my post for details. en.community.dell.com/.../19500097.aspx

Please let us know if you do a successfull install of Win 7 Pro on your machine.

No Events found!