Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 30th, 2013 10:00

How to get the WIndows 8 installation disk/recovery disk from dell?

Hi.

I want to know how to approach dell to get a copy of windows 8 operating system iso so that I can reinstall the windows on my laptop.

I have following questions regarding same:

1. What is the procedure of obtaining the Windows 8 operating system iso from DELL?

2. If dell can provide the requested, what are the charges for the same?

3. Can the OEM version of the windows 8 be installed to another computer? What I meant is that how many licenses does I get with OEM version or how many times I can reinstall the operating system during the life cycle of the product(Windows 8) using the same key?

4. If the license key is embedded in the hardware then can I use any windows 8 installer iso to reinstall the OS?

Thanks

Nitin   

5 Posts

August 2nd, 2014 19:00

From the responses I've gotten (thank you all), I feel that my question was not understood. If we look at Kiran K's first reply to the original question, he states, "OEM discs (Win8) can be installed on any Dell computers (if Windows 8 is pre-installed in that computer from factory)." This means an OEM disk from Microsoft; not a Dell disk, hp disk, acer disk, etc etc. Go out and by an OEM copy of Windows 8 that a custom system builder would buy, and that disk will install Win8 on ANY brand name computer like Dell, HP, etc, and it will activate instantly because these brand computers have the product key embedded in the bios chip. There's no need for the product key number that came with the purchased OEM version; only the disk is needed. There is also no need for a Dell-specific, HP-specific or Acer-specific (etc) disk.  Now, if you were building a custom system with an off-the-shelf motherboard, you would have to use the product key that came with the OEM disk because the key is not embedded on the motherboard as it is with a Dell, HP, Acer, etc. [If anyone doesn't understand what I'm saying here, please ask for clarification; this is the scenario Kiran is describing]. Today you can purchase an Microsoft OEM version of 8.1. In other words, the Windows store 8.1 iso gotten with a product key IS NOT THE ONLY WAY YOU CAN GET A WIN 8.1 DISK (this is the mistaken idea everyone seems to be operating form--even though it might be the only FREE way to get an 8.1 disk, it is not the ONLY way). Here's the question then: Is the scenario still the same? In other words, if I have a dell-branded machine that came with 8.1 pre-installed (and therefore has the 8.1 product key embedded in the mobo), can a person used the MS OEM win 8.1 disk to install it on the dell and have it instantly activate due to the embedded oem product key just like before with 8.0 as Kiran pointed out? Do you see what I'm asking now? Extra-credit question: will the embedded key for 8.0 also work for an 8.1 OEM disk install? In other works, is the same algorithm used by MS to generate the win8 product keys that are embedded in each motherboard (as they are all unique numbers just like the unique numbers that were on each previous COA labels) the same as that being used to generate the 8.1 embedded keys? Do you see what I'm asking here too?

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

August 2nd, 2014 20:00

As I described the Windows 8.1 OEM/Retail disc will automatically input the Windows 8.1 key when installed via BIOS and reject the Windows 8.0 key prompting for input of a key.

The Windows 8.0 OEM/Retail disc will likewise automatically input the Windows 8.0 key when installed via BIOS and reject the Windows 8.1 key prompting for input of a key.

Microsoft changed the algorithm during installation and hence Windows 8.1 media rejects Windows 8.0 keys causing a lot of confusion. If you procure installation media from Dell for a Windows 8.0 system you will only get windows 8.0 media for this reason. For product activation Windows 8.1 accepts both keys, its unknown why Microsoft didn't do this for installation. The 2 above scenarios can be bypassed by the use of generic product keys and RWEverything and then change key.

Notes on the retail license. The downloaded retail license is locked to a version e.g. Home and won't work on Professional or vice versa. Other installation media such as the MSDN .iso and the system builder media will generally accept both Home and Professional keys.

5 Posts

August 2nd, 2014 22:00

Forgive me, but your answer doesn't make sense. I'm sure this isn't so, but it almost sounds like you're spinning your previous answer to make it sound as if you actually answered my question accurately (note--been in the business for about 30 years now and so we always have to learn the new stuff coming down the road, but I also I know how MS works). First, there is a different set of keys for a retail vs OEM version. Always was and still is. Always. Therefore the statement "retail/oem disc" is  meaningless, since a retail version will NOT activate with an OEM key and vice versa. That's why they're sold at different prices with different licenses to different customers. So....there's no such thing as a "retail/oem" disk; it's either one or the other. I checked with my vendor. Also google this error message: " This product key cannot be used to install a retail version of Windows 8". Also see http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-windows_install/this-product-key-cannot-be-used-to-install-a/f7fbd6b5-afe8-4937-ba41-7f4a2ffb9506. So already I see (and again, please forgive me but I have no other way of saying it) you do not seem to have a grasp of the issue here, even though you're trying hard to make it sound as though you do.  Also, the statement "Microsoft changed the algorithm during installation" makes no sense at all, since the algorithm is not used or applied as part of the installation process, but is used at MS itself to generate all the license keys for every version of windows, using a different algorithm for every version (home, pro, retail, oem). The work of the key generating MS algorithms was completed long before you insert the disk into your drive. "Generally accept both home and Pro keys"? Not according to Microsoft and others who have tried it, although the 8.0-to-8.1 upgrade iso may do so, but not for a clean install (which is what I've been talking about, not anything to do with upgrade).  "Generally"? Very fuzzy answer. So, please forgive me again, and I appreciate your efforts, but 'winging it' answers are obviously not useful. I need someone who actually understands and knows the facts surrounding this and has a qualified answer.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

August 3rd, 2014 05:00

1. What is the procedure of obtaining the Windows 8 operating system iso from DELL?

Dell provide no .iso you have to request media by phone support as you are India. If you want to clean install the Reinstallation DVD is the only way as the Recovery USB contains preinstalled software such as McAfee, see here for more details:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/download-microsoft-windows-and-office/download-microsoft-windows/request-a-reinstallation-dvd-from-dell/

2. If dell can provide the requested, what are the charges for the same?

Dell do not state a price it depends on the person on the other end of the phone... Also if you are in warranty etc.

3. Can the OEM version of the windows 8 be installed to another computer? What I meant is that how many licenses does I get with OEM version or how many times I can reinstall the operating system during the life cycle of the product(Windows 8) using the same key?

No the OEM license cannot be transferred to new hardware. You can reinstall it theoretically infinite times but if you reinstall too much (usually within a given time period) you may have to use Microsoft phone activation.

4. If the license key is embedded in the hardware then can I use any windows 8 installer iso to reinstall the OS?

You can use a retail Windows 8.0 or Windows 8.1 .iso to clean install Windows 8.0 OEM however the Windows 8.1 installer will reject your Windows 8.0 product key so you will need to carry out the following workarounds:

Note the OEM product key will not be accepted by the Windows 8.0/8.1 downloaders.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

August 3rd, 2014 05:00

Firstly I want to correct you, things have changed since the days of Windows XP... For Windows Vista and 7, retail media did actually accept an OEM product key however phone activation had to be used. The difference in media however was that Dell OEM media used system locked preinstallation where a 25 digit system locked product key was accepted and activated if and only if a valid Dell BIOS was detected. This key was identical for all versions of Windows 7 of a particular sku such as Home Premium preinstalled on all Dell systems:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/download-microsoft-windows-and-office/download-microsoft-windows/download-vista-sp1-iso/

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/download-microsoft-windows-and-office/download-microsoft-windows/windows-7-sp1-iso-download/

Also you could install a Dell OEM version of Windows Vista or 7 and then activate with a retail key. I have done this multiple times.

This activation mechanism was too easy to pirate and many fake COAs were sold. Moreover although they weren't needed COAs tended to fade. Microsoft removed the COA in Windows 8. Instead there was a unique 25 digit product key embedded in the system BIOS.  

"This product key cannot be used to install a retail version of Windows 8".

This error message is for the downloader. Microsoft restricted the downloader for Windows 8.0/8.1 to accept retail keys only.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-windows_install/this-product-key-cannot-be-used-to-install-a/f7fbd6b5-afe8-4937-ba41-7f4a2ffb9506

The downloader does not accept OEM product keys, either system builder ones or Dell ones. See here where I have got feedback and amended the page:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/download-microsoft-windows-and-office/download-microsoft-windows/download-windows-8-1-iso/

Many people have used RW-Everything and tried to use their OEM product keys with the downloader and got that error message. Others have tried system builder license with the downloader and got the same error message.

There's differences between the downloader and the installer depending on what product keys they accept. I'm not sure why Microsoft is so inconsistent however we have got much feedback that users can use retail media of the same version to clean install Windows 8/Windows 8.1 on their system. i.e. if a user has a Windows 8.0 (Home) system and Windows 8.1 retail media it will input the 25 digit product key and activate. 

Thus:

The Windows 8.0 installer from either retail or OEM will accept Windows 8.0 OEM (automatically input it from BIOS) or Windows 8.0 Retail media respectively but media from the retail download will be looked to a sku either Home or Core. The OEM or TechNet license will accept both skus; Home and Professional. It will reject Windows 8.1 product keys either OEM or Retail but will accept a generic Windows 8.0 product key. If you upgrade the system to Windows 8.1 via the store it will then allow activation of a Windows 8.1 OEM or Retail key.

The Windows 8.1 installer from either retail or OEM (automatically input it from BIOS) will accept Windows 8.1 OEM or Windows 8.1 Retail media but media from the retail download will be looked to a sku either Home or Core. The OEM or TechNet license will accept both skus; Home and Professional. It will reject Windows 8.0 product keys either OEM or Retail but will accept a generic Windows 8.1 product key. Once its installed it will allow for product activation of the Windows 8.0 OEM or Retail key because Windows 8.1 is a free update to Windows 8.0.

These two guides have 174,315 and 35,459 views respectively. Users have used generic keys with MSDN media, system builder media and of course retail media for both retail and OEM licenses mainly to install Windows 8.1 with a Windows 8.0 license but the opposite will work also:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/a-clean-install-of-windows/microsoft-product-activation/installation-of-windows-8-1-with-a-windows-8-0-retail-product-key-notes/

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/a-clean-install-of-windows/microsoft-product-activation/obtaining-your-oem-bios-embedded-slp-product-key-using-rw-everything-oem-only/

There are numerous other guides with the same information.

However since you don't really trust what I'm saying...

You can check these threads out in EightForums:

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/20022-effect-embedded-product-key-oem-windows-8-s-new-license.html

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/44415-how-install-windows-8-1-8-1-oem-key.html

See also Tom's Hardware::

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-2132275/windows-oem-product-key-activate-windows-retail-iso-easily.html

And this thread on TechNet:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/039722ea-c7e1-4e85-b489-d46692a7c558/oem-system-builder-windows-8-pro-cant-install-on-windows-8-laptop?forum=w8itproinstall

The system builder DVD automatically input the OEM Windows 8 Home key although the user was trying to install 8 Professional with his OEM key. Hence supports both skus.

5 Posts

August 4th, 2014 15:00

Of course I'm not going to trust your answer. You showed the first two times that you really didn't understand the questions. You showed the second time that you really didn't understand what you were talking about regarding a distinction between retail and MS oem system builder disks, had no idea regarding key generating MS algorithms, your nebulous "generally", and that an MS oem disk (not a dell disk, ho disk, etc) cannot activate a retail disk. And you're going to correct me? Not only is that quite arrogant, but if you had some comprehension you'd see I already understand that--of course, you're too busy edifying yourself above all others to notice that (yeah, I certainly would not victimize any corporate clients by inflicting you upon them). Forgive me for being blunt, but I've been in the business a long time and have encountered (and fired) your kind of pompous, self-edifying techs before. This is clearly an ego issue with you, that you must always know everything, which you don't. Dazzle with detail or baffle with BS, but do not grasp either the exact issue at hand nor comprehend the details your trying to fake your way through. You've got a few problems here. First, you obviously live in a Dell world and so this explains why you didn't understand questions from the real world regarding things like MS oem disks, MS algorithms, etc. 2nd, you're so busy making yourself look like a know-it-all that you miss what's right in front of your face, a real crippling liability for any tech in the real world (example; my question had nothing to do with any retail disk, and yet you read that into the question and are still hammering it--a real comprehension problem). You also demonstrated with the baffle with BS answer that you have a sincerity/honesty issue as well. At least when you realized by my last response that I could see you were talking out of your you-know-what, you were smart enough to spend some time educating yourself before you replied. But then you respond with this giant dissertation and in doing so (however impressive it might be for the clueless consumers you're probably used to baffling), once again fail to comprehend the substance of my original questions, not to mention that some of it is inaccurate and other parts irrelevant. So...lets see if we can bring you down to earth from your lofty self-delusional cloud and get back to the original points. First, let me help you get your feet back on the ground by directing your attention to the fact that I essentially asked three yes-or-no questions (pity the fool that gets you on a tech support line). Let's see if you are actually capable of answering a yes-or-no question without spontaneously convulsing into an oral diarrhea event (in other words, lets see if you're even qualified to serve as a competent and effective TS person);I'll try to spell it out again carefully so that you do not miss it in your eagerness to self-indulge; I'll even reduce it to two of the original questions

1. Will an installation by a Win 8.1 OEM disk (not a dell disk or and hp disk, etc, but an MS OEM disk, which you may have missed before because you live in a Dell world and therefore are not too familiar with what lays outside that particular ivory tower)....let me start over:   Will an installation by a Win 8.1 MS OEM disk be activated by the product key embedded on the mobo in a brand name computer like a Dell if said machine came pre-installed with 8.1 as it did with an OEM 8.0 disk on a brand name machine pre-installed with 8.0 as Kiran so aptly observed?

YES or NO? Simple. Direct. YES or NO?

2. Will an installation by a Win 8.1 OEM disk activated by the product key embedded on the mobo in a brand name computer like a Dell if said machine came pre-installed with 8.0?

YES or NO?

If this lies too far outside your closed dell universe to answer this competently, natakuc4, or it is somehow beneath you to answer so simply, or you get no self-glorifying satisfaction from answering so simply, I will certainly understand--as I said, I've encountered self-righteous techs like that on job sites before. If you can see how grasping the precise intent of the question without being distracted or showing off, and then answering in the simplest way possible, are hallmarks of a TRULY excellent tech support person, then congratulations! If the excitement is just too much to restrain, I will understand--I've seen it before. Let's see how well you REALLY represent the company you work for. 

Why with so much experience am I asking these questions? Because my corporate clients HATE HATE HATE Windows 8 and don't even want it near their machines, so I have not worked with it much. The questions arise from an employee of one of those clients who asked me to work on his personal machine.

In the end, I may have to admit my own error in expecting such professional answers from a Dell forum when the issue is really about Windows. After all, Dell only represents itself as having a HARDWARE support center. When it comes to Windows, Dell is just a single entity among many under the much larger Microsoft umbrella, and so perhaps these questions would be more intelligently posted in their forums. 

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

August 4th, 2014 16:00

So...lets see if we can bring you down to earth from your lofty self-delusional cloud and get back to the original points. First, let me help you get your feet back on the ground by directing your attention to the fact that I essentially asked three yes-or-no questions (pity the fool that gets you on a tech support line). Let's see if you are actually capable of answering a yes-or-no question without spontaneously convulsing into an oral diarrhea event (in other words, lets see if you're even qualified to serve as a competent and effective TS person);I'll try to spell it out again carefully so that you do not miss it in your eagerness to self-indulge; I'll even reduce it to two of the original questions

1. Will an installation by a Win 8.1 OEM disk (not a dell disk or and hp disk, etc, but an MS OEM disk, which you may have missed before because you live in a Dell world and therefore are not too familiar with what lays outside that particular ivory tower)....let me start over:   Will an installation by a Win 8.1 MS OEM disk be activated by the product key embedded on the mobo in a brand name computer like a Dell if said machine came pre-installed with 8.1 as it did with an OEM 8.0 disk on a brand name machine pre-installed with 8.0 as Kiran so aptly observed?

YES or NO? Simple. Direct. YES or NO?

2. Will an installation by a Win 8.1 OEM disk activated by the product key embedded on the mobo in a brand name computer like a Dell if said machine came pre-installed with 8.0?

YES or NO?

That's only two questions not three... so its impossible to answer three questions when you only give two.

1. YES

2. NO*

* There are workarounds for this issue which are less time consuming and lead to a cleaner installation then upgrading via the Store.

Also note that I do not work for Dell and am a forum volunteer.

5 Posts

August 4th, 2014 17:00

Thank you. As for your confusion on the number of questions, you obviously missed this sentence from my last post: "I'll even reduce it to two of the original questions".

5 Posts

July 15th, 2015 08:00

My system is out of the warranty period. How do I request the windows 8 disk because I had harddrive failure. I shouldn't have to pay since I've already paid for it!

2K Posts

July 17th, 2015 14:00

Hi Ledusmc,

I will be glad to help you. Please send me the system service tag along with customer name, place of purchase, address and phone number via private message. Then I can check and see what can be done.

To send a private message, click on my user name and select start conversation.

KIRAN KUMAR

Client Tech Support Associate

Social Media and Community Professional

Click here for : Order Status / Download Drivers

Reach us on :   Twitter  @KiranKAtDell

2 Posts

September 17th, 2015 12:00

I have a Dell Inspiron 15 3521 that I purchased in 2013. The hard drive has failed so I have purchased a new one. I now need to reinstall Windows 8 but do not have a disk. I also do not know my service tag because it is not on my laptop. There is a white sticker and under thay it just says Service Tag Label.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

September 18th, 2015 02:00

This thread is a bit old now. Microsoft took user feedback into account and fixed (most) the problems with Windows 8 digitals deployment. You can download the Windows 8.1 with Update 1 .iso from here:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/download-windows-8-1-retail-and-oem-iso/

The correct Edition will work with your Dell OEM key.

2 Posts

September 18th, 2015 07:00

Thank you for your reply. The problem I have is that I am trying to install on a brand new, blank hard drive. So I believe your method will not work.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

September 18th, 2015 15:00

It will work but you need another Windows system (Windows 7 or later) to download the Windows 8.1 .iso and make the Bootable USB.

No Events found!