Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 23rd, 2013 20:00

How to use Recovery Media for Windows 8.1 Recovery after Hard Drive Replacement

Hi Folks!  I have an XPS 8500 which was running a fully updated version of Windows 8.1.  Using Dell Backup and Recovery 1.6.1.1 (free edition) I created a Factory Backup of Recovery Media to DVD.  So far so good.

So now the hard drive failed and I've installed its replacement.  I boot off the Recovery Media but there are NO OPTIONS to recover that actually work.  On the initial screen I get: Troubleshoot or Turn off your PC.

So I choose Troubleshoot.  I'm then presented with: Refresh, Reset, Advanced Options, and Command Prompt.  Refresh says the drive is locked and to unlock it first (huh?).  If I choose a "Reset" I'm presented with a seemingly related issue, "Unable to Reset your PC. A required drive partition is missing."

Why isn't there a "Press this stupid button and we'll reinstall everything off the Recovery Media you created"?  This seems totally absurd.  Am I losing my mind?

Thanks in advance!!

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

December 23rd, 2013 22:00

Hi Spamcop01,

I would suggest you to try booting the system with the recovery discs again so that this time it will boot using the disc. If you’re still facing the same issue the recovery disc may be corrupt. Please send me a private message with the computer's service tag, Name registered during the system purchase and email address so that I can check and assist you further. To send a private message, click on my name and send private message.

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

December 24th, 2013 05:00

4 Posts

December 24th, 2013 08:00

That's exactly the link I've been searching for, but unfortunately, I don't get the Dell Backup & Recovery Console (i.e., white splash screen) like what you see at the 39 second mark of the video.  After the Windows 8 logo screen, I get a blue-ish Windows 8 "looking" screen that only has 2 options: Troubleshoot or Turn Off PC.

I've done recoveries with Windows 7 recovery media created with DBAR and it worked just like in the video.  Just not getting the same behavior with the Windows 8 recovery media.  All other suggestions welcome.

4 Posts

December 24th, 2013 09:00

For clarification, the "blu-ish" screen I mentioned above appears to be the Windows 8 Safe Mode menus.  So when booting off the Recovery Media I created, instead of getting the DBAR Recovery Console, I end up in Windows 8 Safe Mode menus.  That would also explain why all the options appear targeted to Microsoft-based recovery methods and nothing having to do with the DBAR media.

Hope this helps find a solution.

4 Posts

December 25th, 2013 19:00

Hi Ravi,

So I'm pretty much out of ideas and don't have anymore time to waste on this.  How do I go about getting media to reinstall the OS and Dell apps/utilities? I've been to this page:

https://www.dell.com/support/diagnostics/us/en/19/nondiagnostichome

but it's a circular reference that never completes: I put in the service tag, it takes me to a registration page, I put in my info (again), and it tells me I'm already registered and ends.  Just tell me who to call or how to do this.

Many thanks!!

1 Message

October 26th, 2016 09:00

Hello Ravi,

I am having the same problem. I used the recovery dvd disc and it does everything, but when it reaches the window that ask for the partition where to install windows, it doesn't allow any of the partitions showed.

I tried to send you a private message by clicking on your name here, but there is not an option.

No Events found!