Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

K

November 27th, 2012 18:00

I hate Windows 8 So Very Much

I got my brand new Inspiron 17 SE today.  I absolutely hate Windows 8.  I can't even figure out how to play a DVD, and I'm wondering if Dell even included a program for me to play DVDs--I don't even know how to find out.  I shouldn't have to look at my order email to see if I have a program.  The USB port can't even see the mouse I plugged in. 

Anybody have any luck complaining and getting Dell to send a copy of Windows 7?  At this point, I am seriously considering just returning the entire computer.

2K Posts

November 28th, 2012 02:00

Hi katarain,

I request you to use the below links and update BIOS and Chipset:

http://dell.to/TCrp3X BIOS

http://dell.to/RQSmF6 Chipset

Then you can check if the computer works fine, alternatively you can use the below link where you can get a guide to use Windows 8 Operating system:

http://bit.ly/S8aCdB

If you are still not satisfied with Windows 8 you can write back and I can check if you can downgrade to Windows 7 operating system. I also request you to send the system service tag through private message so that I can check if the downgrade option is available.

I have added you as a friend. Please accept my friend request by clicking on my name highlighted in blue and then click on “Friends” tab at the top and then click on “Request to Review” and finally click on “Accept” button.

I am sending you a private message as well. Click on “Inbox” to respond to the message and provide system’s Service Tag and contact details so I may access your system records and check for further course of action. You could also click on Start Conversation to send a private message.

11 Posts

November 28th, 2012 10:00

I think that Windows 8 may no longer support DVD-playback.  I would suggest trying VLC media player as it is the best free solution on the market.

5.2K Posts

November 29th, 2012 19:00

If you have Win 8 Pro, you can download Win Media Center FREE.

If not, there are many good DVD players available free.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

November 30th, 2012 06:00

Was Dell Stage not included with the system?

http://www.dell.com/uk/p/d/videos~en/Documents~Video_Stage_Global_H264.aspx.aspx

Windows Media Player is still present in Windows 8 but you need to go to the all apps menu and pin it to get it.

To get you started with Windows 8 I recommend you look at the following videos here.

There is a free Dell Windows 8 for Dummies guide available from here.

If you still don't like Windows 8, you should consider installing StartIsBack.

If you have WIndows 8 Professional you can request a Windows 7 Professional Reinstallation DVD and exercise downgrade rights but you need to purchase another license if you got Windows 8.

http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/licensing/sblicensing/pages/downgrade_rights.aspx#fbid=Y_2aK7Nd5Y-

107 Posts

December 14th, 2012 16:00

Let's be honest here Windows 8 is an unmitigated disaster. It is undoubtedly the worst operating system on the market and even though I loathe Apple, Microsoft have done them a favour by releasing this terrible operating system. I just wonder how long it will take before they scrap the current version and bring out Win 8 classic then quickly drops the classic motif and returns to a windows 7 like environment. You can't blame Dell as MS have forced their OEM's into marketing this failure and Dell as well as other manufacturers must be cursing MS.

Many shops I've visited have been actively advising customers that they will supply windows 7 for them, I've never seen anything like this happen before. And I would advise anyone buying to make sure they can get windows 7 first as win 8 is truly awful and just plain broken. past the flashing metro interface apps have adverts and just don't work. They even ruined the standard classic desktop. I tried it for 5 days before re formatting and re imaging win 7 again...relief.

here's a decent review. http://www.zdnet.com/what-not-to-buy-on-black-friday-windows-8-pcs-and-laptops-7000007557/

Now if Dell want a make a killing with a dual purpose laptop and tablet why not have it as a windows 7 laptop that can also boot to the latest Android as a tablet. Think about it what could be better. All the advantages of a tried and tested great OS as Win 7 for functional work and then android for tablet use with all the great apps and ease of use. Who wouldn't want that. get in before samsung do it!!!

40 Posts

December 23rd, 2012 08:00

Try this program   ....   www.stardock.com/.../start8

It's only $5 and it makes Windows 8 act just like Windows 7

It really is great and removed some of my hatred for Windows 8

1 Message

September 14th, 2013 08:00

Hello 

i purchased a new dell computer 1 month ago and my husband and I ( software engineer) absolutely HATE windows 8!!!

how can I get windows 7?

5.2K Posts

September 14th, 2013 09:00

The desktop side of Win 8 is an improved Windows 7. How can you hate it?

Easy to get Win 7. Just buy a copy.

2K Posts

September 15th, 2013 09:00

Hi Kmwhite619,

I will be glad to help you. If the computer was shipped with Windows 8 pro operating system then we can help you in downgrading to windows 7 pro operating system. If it was shipped with any other operating system then you will have to purchase a windows 7 operating system as suggested by KirkD. If you are not sure how to check the operating system type then you may send me the system service tag via private message. I will check and let you know what can be done.

To send a private message, click on my user name and select start conversation.

107 Posts

September 15th, 2013 09:00

The desktop side of Win 8 is an improved Windows 7. How can you hate it?

Hahaha yeah right,,,,this has to be ironic comedy...just like M$ they put back the start button only for it to take you to the awful metro interface.
Its not what is under the hood that is the issue here as W8 is faster than W7, its all the other stuff people hate. For example the metro touch interface and the change from programs to apps. The fact that there is incompatibility between the two formats. The changes to windows explorer. The fixed hardware parameters built into the Bios. I could go on and on and on. But it is now apparent that W8 is a finacial disaster for M$ and no doubt for the OEMs like dell also. They should just stop trying to flog a dead horse. I am glad that dell are one of the few companies that still make W7 still available through their business section. W8 is still incompatible with many professional software products, and these developers have little enthusiasm making their software work with W8, why should they as its a disaster and don't want to waste resources on an already failed system, and why should they.

The problem with dell though is that when W8 came out they mostly pre installed W8pro on their systems which gave users the option to upgrade to windows 7 but now mainly fit just the non pro version apart from in the business section.

if Dell really want to get some more custom back they should give their home section the option of having win 7 preinstalled again, after all its what people want. Don't be part of M$'s failed marketing scam.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

September 17th, 2013 04:00

Dell don't seem to give any system the option to customise what version of Windows 8 is preinstalled.

i.e. there is no system that has Windows 8 RT, Windows 8 or Windows 8 Professional. They only have one version of Windows 8 for each particular model.

I seen issues with this at Windows 8 launch where someone did have the option to switch from Windows 8 to Windows 8 professional; likely Dell have to designate the system BIOS of a particular model as one of these individually hence no Inspiron systems have the options for Windows 8 Professional and moreover due to Microsoft's licensing terms Dell will be unable to provide you with downgrade rights for a system with only Windows 8. thus Home users don't get the option to buy a system with Windows 8 professional, see that they don't like it and procure media from Dell for downgrade rights. 

Windows 7 system locked preinstallation must still work with these systems BIOS however as Dell do sell Windows 7 Home Premium with some of these systems in the US only.

I am not sure why it is made more difficult for customers not in the US to both select Windows 7 and to procure a Reinstallation DVD.

Calling Dell Technical Support might help however the support agents are probably trained to recommend Windows 8 over Windows 7. You may be able to argue that Windows 8 isn't working as well as it should for you and get Windows 7 for a discounted price but I'm unsure exactly how this works or if its possible. Otherwise you will have to buy a separate Windows 7 OEM or Full license.

107 Posts

September 17th, 2013 06:00

With regard to the bios you are correct and Win 7 could be reinstalled as an SLP though that would depend on the slp markers within the bios itself on win 8 models. I can't comment for dell but lenovo (who I might add along with hp have the worst customer service i have ever encountered) hide the markers in their bios. Fortunately you can unhide them if you boot into dos and reset them but you have to disable secure boot.Windows 8 is a nightmare and MS have dug an awfully deep hole for themselves and their OEMs. I can't see any reason why dell can't offer win 7 machines to people from new though, just needs a leap of faith. So many people I know now buy straight from the business section or outlet store to purposefully avoid win 8.

No Events found!