Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 14th, 2014 23:00

Inspiron 3537: Boot to Dell recovery UEFI Bios

So, I got a Inspiron 3537 i5. Nice laptop for it's price. Downloaded all the manuals, made my recovery DVDs. All was well in my world.

First thing I noticed is that there is no info in the manuals for tweaking the BIOS and since it is my first experience with a UEFI bios I was a bit disappointed. Is there a manual available for it?

Next I upgraded ATI Drivers to 13.12. I am an old user who always knew that updates were usually a good thing to do. Got in the same problem as many others with PC screen not waking up from sleep.

Thought I would do a recovery from the disk, but after trying various combinations (Ctl+F11, F8, F12 etc) I couldn't find a way to boot in the Recovery console. I did the recovery from my DVD and the laptop works fine.

Does anybody know how to add in UEFI bios a boot option to the Recovery partition? I undersstand that I have to create a new boot option using "Add boot option" and the two options available are to boot to the 1st (windows EFI) or 2nd (recovery partition), but the path for the recovery efi file to be loaded is unknown (+ you can't have access to the recovery partition to see the contents of it from windows). Any suggestions?

5 Posts

July 13th, 2015 23:00

Still haven't found a bios manual, but anyway. I found a combination of drivers for graphics that does work and allows sleep function without a glitch.

amd-catalyst-15.7-without-dotnet45-win8.1-64bit

Intel_Iris_15.36.21.64.4222

Uninstalled amd (complete), reboot, intall iris, reboot, install latest amd. Ati probably fixed the issue that did not allow wake from sleep. I downloaded them using amdautodetect utility and intel driver update utility.

1 Message

April 16th, 2014 04:00

Hi

I had the same problem on my Inspiron 3537 since I updated WIndows 8 to 8.1

Found this solution (same very forum, 2 different entries:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/4677/p/19530407/20491809.aspx

1) Posted by prophet933 on 3 Feb 2014 11:07 AM

"When 8.1 installs it brings it's own settings and can change some that you have never messed with. Here is what you do.

Go to 'Contol Panel' then pick 'Power Options' then click into the 'Advanced Settings'. This brings up a list in a box of settings dealing with sleep, hibernation,etc. Find the setting for 'wake with password'  from sleep and turn it off, 8.1 seems to set it on as default.

This worked and is still working for me after months. REMEMBER TO SAVE CHANGES!"

2) Posted by worduphomes on 30 Nov 2013 10:06 AM

Manually installed the following:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=20775&ProdId=816&lang=eng&OSVersion=Windows%208.1%2C%2064-bit*&DownloadType=Drivers

I am not sure which of the two worked, or maybe both together, but it seems to have solved the problem!

5 Posts

April 16th, 2014 23:00

Thanks a lot for taking the time to post an answer. Removing the password works, but if you lock the screen and then close the lid to put the laptop to sleep, it still doesn't respond. Basically if you close the lid with a locked screen, the computer doesn't go to sleep (the wireless stays on and the power button is lit, not flashing) Could you verify if the same happens to your?

The whole problem starts after windows update installs the update of intel graphics. AMD catayst crashes and doesn't recognize the amd card resulting in both cards not loading their drivers. Updating to amd radeon 13.12 and intel 10.0.13 fixes the driver loading issue, but the sleep and wake-up issue arrives.

My initial question was for the UEFI Bios option though and how to enter an option to boot to Dell recovery. Do you have any suggestions on that?

April 17th, 2014 05:00

Since it's a Windows 8/8.1 PC, you can try refresh or restore from Windows itself, to restore the PC to the factory default state.

The following link will be useful:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/restore-refresh-reset-pc

Coming to the drivers, if you're facing issues with the updates, either perform reinstall of the drivers to the latest version (uinstall the drivers, restart the PC, install the drivers, restart the PC and then start using the PC) or restore the PC and don't upgrade the drivers, unless Dell Support Center asks you to do so.

5 Posts

April 19th, 2014 12:00

Again, thanks for your time. My original question was if there was any bios manual. I looked around and had no luck finding it.

If you create a repair dirk (Bootable, DVD or USB) the bios automatically recognises the media, even with safeboot is enabled, so you can repair the system to the original settings. What I cannot find how to create a bootable option to the recovery partition in the factory shipped hdd. The disk has 4 partitions (EFI 500MB, OEM 40M, Recovery 490MB, OS 456GB, Recovery 7.9GB). Addind a new boot option in bios asks you to point to a booting EFI file in either of the two bootable partitions ( long names, no size, so I don't know which partition each is).

PS. Safety wise even if you lock the bios with a password, one can boot to the recovery usb or dvd media. Not such a safe option!!!!

The problem with the sleep/wake prosses is due to the video cards. Don't know which driver causes it, but installing either causes trouble. Installing the intel driver from the windows update causes the AMD to crash and stop appearing in catalyst. Installing the latest catlyst causes the wake/sleep issue. Uninstalling AMD causes a black screen in windows login screen and requires a restore to be performed. I have't tried the latest drivers from intel to see if the same problem happpens.

Updating the inf file doesn't work. Not requiring a password to wake-up is insane (safety wise) while that also crashes sometimes.

5 Posts

September 25th, 2015 05:00

Tried a freeware for migrating to a SSD disk (AOMEI Backupper, http://www.backup-utility.com/). Easy as pie and the performance boost was substantial.

No Events found!