Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 14th, 2013 14:00

Installing win8 pro on Vostro 470 from msdn DVD

Hello, we have recently bought a Dell Vostro 470 and try to reinstall using msdn win8 pro dvd and we can not make the dvd boot on uefi mode, so my question is:

How can I know if the dvd is uefi compatible?

Is there a method to make a clean install using win8 dvd and uefi mode?

Is there any place on my vostro where I can find the win8 pro product key and if so can I use that key to download an uefi compatible iso image from microsoft?

Thanks in advance.

Juan Carlos

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

August 14th, 2013 20:00

Hi jcgalvez,

The latest Windows 8 operating system is compatible with the UEFI BIOS. You will have to enable the Secure Boot and UEFI mode in the BIOS. Then boot the system with the Windows 8 Pro bootable DVD to start the installation. You can refer for further steps in the link below.

Also I would suggest you to download the latest release from the msdn website and try installing it as initial versions of Microsoft had issues with UEFI BIOS.

If the system came with Windows 8 configured then the Windows 8 product key is in built on the system board. If you are using the msdn download you will have the product keys with the operating system.

Please let me know the operating system which came with the system.

3 Posts

August 15th, 2013 06:00

Thanks for your answer, well, I'll have to download the iso again since my dvd is not recognized as UEFI compatible, that is: I enable secure boot and UEFI in my bios and the DVD is not recognized as a bootable media.

My system came with windows 8 pro in Spanish, I made a mistake when I made a clean install before make a backup.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

August 19th, 2013 08:00

Hi jcgalvez,

Please send me a private message with the computer's service tag, Name registered during the system purchase and email address so that I can check what can be done. To send a private message, click on my name and select start conversation.

No Events found!