Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 21st, 2016 05:00

Legal procedure to downgrade PC's with Windows 8.1 pro to Windows 7 Pro

hi all,

i have around 10 Dell OPT 3020MT PC's with dell win 8.1 pro license. due to software compatibility issue i have downgrade all these PC's to win 7 pro using dell win 7 pro OEM DVD. every thing works well until microsoft has done audit in my company and found out that all the downgraded PC's contain 32KD2-K9CTF-M3DJT-4J3WC-733WD key which came with dell installation media. so now microsoft claim that is this not legal. so i want to know what will be the Legal procedure to downgrade PC's with Windows 8.1 pro to Windows 7 Pro in multiple PC's?

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

June 22nd, 2016 02:00

Both the content on Microsoft Answers and the details you are given by the Microsoft Support agent are wrong...

In your case your system has a Windows 8.1 Pro License so the only sticker it has affixed to the system is the "Windows 8 Pro" sticker. There is a unique Windows 8.1 Pro OEM SLP key embedded in the UEFI BIOS however that is not accepted by Windows 7 Professional Installation Media... If a Dell Windows 7 Professional Reinstallation DVD is used the generic Dell Windows 7 Professional OEM SLP key is input 32KD2-K9CTF-M3DJT-4J3WC-733WD which activates offline if and only if the system has a valid Dell MBR or Dell UEFI BIOS.

I wrote this a while ago because of all of Microsoft's inconsistencies which explains exactly how the Downgrade Rights procedure works:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/downgrade-rights/ 

The generic Dell Windows 7 Professional OEM SLP key is not blocked 32KD2-K9CTF-M3DJT-4J3WC-733WD otherwise all Dell systems shipped with Windows 7 Professional would be non-genuine. The key however cannot be input and activated manually like a Retail key. One must use either a Dell Windows 7 Professional Reinstallation DVD/.iso (official) or skip any entry of the key and apply Dell OEM SLP activation using the likes of the ABR program (unofficial).

10 Posts

June 21st, 2016 06:00

Dear Philip,

Thank you for prompt reply.

So if it is legal key, is it ok to use same single win 7 OEM DVD to downgrade the all 10 Pc's? if yes why is that microsoft claim that this is not legal key? 

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

June 21st, 2016 06:00

It is legal... that is the Dell Windows 7 Pro OEM SLP key. Every single Dell system shipped with Windows 7 Pro preinstalled has that key... You would have the exact type of product activation if you bought any Dell system with Windows 7 Pro preinstalled using Downgrade Rights.

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

June 21st, 2016 07:00

Yes it is legal and you may use the single DVD to activate every single Dell system shipped with Windows 7 Pro OEM, Windows 8.1 Pro OEM and Windows 10 Pro OEM. I would actually advise updating it to have SP2 and IE11:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/converting-your-dell-windows-reinstallation-dvd-into-a-reinstallation-usb/

Not sure about your "Microsoft Licensing Expert" but perhaps he is trying to convince you to pay for some additional volume license agreement...

10 Posts

June 21st, 2016 21:00

i have the same idea you have and below is the email conversation part i had with microsoft,

Subject: RE: SRX1342280682ID - OS downgrade support request

Hello Manawapriya,

Thank you for your response.

We checked the Product Key you mentioned and found it blocked. Therefore, please use a different Product Key to downgrade your license.

Please feel free to reach us for any additional queries.

Regards,

Sanyam Pareek

Microsoft Customer Service

--- Original Message ---
Sent : Thursday, June 16, 2016 5:41:30 AM UTC
To : "'Microsoft Online Customer Service'"
Subject : RE: SRX1342280682ID - OS downgrade support request

Dear Sanyam,

We have used dell OEM win 7 pro DVD to downgrade the all those PC's and it contain 32KD2-K9CTF-M3DJT-4J3WC-733WD key.

Thank you!

Please keep the email history intact so we can see the progression of communication.

10 Posts

June 21st, 2016 23:00

i have found another article regarding OEM SLP key and COA.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/how-to-activate-windows-7-using-slp-key-downloaded/182be5b1-5c47-46b7-a3ae-cf2df65c929b?auth=1

Additional information:

Computers, which are built by large manufactures that come with Windows Pre-Installed, come with two (2) Product Keys:

OEM SLP: This key comes pre-installed in Windows, when it comes from the Factory. This key is geared to work with the special instructions found only on that Manufacturer's computer hardware. So when Windows was installed using the OEM SLP key (at the factory) Windows 7 looks at the motherboard and sees the special instructions and Self-Activates. (that's why you did not need to Activate your computer after you brought it home)

COA SLP: This is the Product key that you see on the sticker on the side (or bottom,[ or inside the battery compartment]) of your computer. It is a valid product key, but should only be used in limited situations (such as if the OEM SLP key stops self-activating for whatever reason). The key must be activated by Phone. (Note: All manufacturers that use the OEM SLP system are required by contract to include a Certificate of Authenticity (COA) sticker, that has a COA SLP key, on the computer)

Hope this is true...

No Events found!