Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

September 7th, 2014 00:00

Multi-booting with Dell XPS

I recently purchased a XPS 8700 with Windows 8.1 pre-installed. My only question is, "is it possible to have the same pre-installed OS installed on the same XPS 8700 for the purposes of a multi-boot?"

I assume the answer is no, but wanted to ask.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

September 10th, 2014 10:00

Not exactly sure what you are wanting to do.  You can multi-boot, but in factory condition, you will only be able to dual-boot with Windows 8.

4 Posts

September 11th, 2014 14:00

Thank you for your response, I thought nobody would after such a long delay.

Simply put, I want two systems, on one computer, that don't/can't interact with each other, except they may (but don't have to) share a couple of photo/video folders. I don't plan on the second system having internet.

Just so I am clear on what you are saying:

1. I can use the factory installed/provided image to do this. Will this affect the hidden drives the system makes. Each system will be on different hard drives entirely.

2. You said this can only be done with windows 8. Mine came installed with windows 8.1. Is this where the problem is? Is getting copy of Win8 to downgrade free for windows 8.1 users?

Am I clear on the facts?

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

September 15th, 2014 13:00

You can do this with WIN8 PRO and hyper V.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

September 17th, 2014 07:00

Dual-booting will destroy your "recovery partition".  What operating systems are you wanting to run, and for what purpose?  Virtual Machines are much better and more convenient at this sort of thing than dual-booting, although there are a "few" legitimate reasons for doing it.  You can dual-boot any two systems, but what you need to do to get them working depends on the OS's in question.

No Events found!