Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 14th, 2013 16:00

New INSPIRON-W8. IntExpl does NOT fill whole screen

Got from DELL Inspiron 660 with Win 8. Connected it via VGA to DELL ST2421L monitor. Some applications (Weather, Amazon shop, DELL shop) fill the WHOLE monitor's screen (completely from left to right). But Internet Explorer either from START or from DESKTOP menu fills only a MIDDLE of the screen. The IE based (reached from IE) WEB sites (e.g. Bank of America) also fill ONLY about a half of the screen, sometimes in the middle or as for the BankofAmerica only the left part of the screen.

All what I said is with the 100% Zoom. Increasing Zoom is not a solution as the sides of the image are lost

This is very bad for my week eyes. Actually I bought the new computer and monitor to have an easy-to-see LARGE image. My wife has DELL OPTIPLEX 740 with VISTA connected to DELL S2740L monitor and on her system Internet Explorer and ALL its WEB sites fill beautifully the WHOLE monitor's screen with the 100% Zoom.

Please HELP me to get IE with all its WEB sites onto the FULL monitor's screen at 100% Zoom, as I could NOT find necessary instructions here and hate to start a SUPPORT procedure.

Many THANKS for attention and help.

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

March 22nd, 2013 06:00

Hi noisnemid0028,

I have checked certain website in IE 10 on Windows 8 including the Bank of America web site and they open in the middle of the screen with 100% zoom. The web sites must be designed to support the wide screen format. You can load Google.com and check if it covers the whole screen as it is wide screen compatible. The web sites may not be wide screen compatible if Google is displayed properly.

Please let me know about your findings.

March 22nd, 2013 17:00

Hi Rajath N

Many THANKS for your FAST and VERY HELPFUL .response to my question.

Following your advice I have found:

From my IE-10 - Google.com, Amazon.com, Twitter.com - DID open beautifully in the WHIOLE.WIDE-SCREEN of my DELL ST2421L,

but DELL.com, Charter.com (my cable company), AT&T.com, APPLE.com opened only in the MIDDLE of the screen.

I understand your explanation that the WEB-site must be wide-screen compatible to take its whole wide space, and I will use the Windows-8 Magnifier for sites that are not designed to full wide screens,

This your explanation ANSWERS and RESOLVES my question completely, and I am very pleased, happy and thankful for your help.

I much and especially appreciate your kind attention and fast replies to solve and explain my problem.

Best Regards and Best Wishes

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

March 15th, 2013 01:00

Hi noisnemid0028,

It could be annoying when the web page does not display properly in Internet Explorer 10.

Please follow the steps provided below to open the web page in Compatibility View:

1. Open the web page that is not displayed properly.
2. Press the F12 key to open and click on “Browser Mode” on the HTML window that opens at the bottom of the screen.
3. Select “IE 10 Compatibility View” from the drop down list.
4. The web page would be refreshed and is displayed with proper corrections.
5. If the display remains unchanged, then select other versions of Internet Explorer listed in “Browser Mode” and check if it fixes the issue.

You can also use the “F11” key to enable/disable Fullscreen view in Internet Explorer.

Please let me know if you need further assistance.

March 15th, 2013 16:00

Hi Rajath N;

I much appreciate your prompt response and the DELL's intention to fix my problem.

Unfortunately I could NOT execute your instructions.

I opened START then Internet Explorer then BankofAmerica WEB site (as an IE Favorite) which filled almost exactly the LEFT part of the Monitor's screen. But absolutely NOTHING happened when I pressed the F12 or F11 keys. NO RESPONSE. I use the keyboard supplied by DELL  together with my new Inspiron-660. It worked OK for entering various passwords, but now I am wondering if it has an imperfection.

The SAME happened when I opened the page of DELL S2740L manual (also as an IE Favorite) which took place almost exactly in the MIDDLE of my ST2421L screen (about 5.25" blank space on the left and on the right).

I am looking forward to your next helpful response and instructions.

Best Regards

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

March 18th, 2013 09:00

Hi noisnemid0028,

Thank you for your reply and for providing an update on the status. Internet Explorer 10 has a feature known as the Compatibility View that displays a web page as displayed in a previous version of Internet Explorer. Please click on the “Compatibility View” icon (shown in the picture below) located next to the “Refresh” icon in the Address bar and let me know if the page opens properly.

March 19th, 2013 19:00

Hi Rajath N:

Many thanks again for your helpful attention.

I communicate with you from my DELL 8200 Dimension XP-Home (11 years old and still working perfectly) connected to DELL P2411H monitor and can not use your link directly for my purpose. But I will try to follow your instruction on my new system and to find there the necessary pages and links, and I will tell you the results.

Meanwhile I would much appreciate you double-checking my problem on a SIMILAR to mine YOUR system with Win8 and 1920x1080 resolution (DELL recommended). What happens when YOU open Internet Explorer 10 as well as various WEB pages FROM Int.Expl.10 on a WIDE-screen monitor? Do the IE and these pages fill the WHOLE wide screen at 100% Zoom?

Maybe, just maybe, the enigmatic Microsoft has intentionally designed the Win8-IE10 combination to fill only a PART of WIDE monitor screens at 100% Zoom. Maybe, just maybe, this combination is to fill completely at 100% Zoom the screen of NON-wide monitors only.  

This question comes to my mind as I see that, as yet, my new DELL system is working properly in all other functions and that NON-IE based applications fill nicely and colorfully the WHOLE wide screen of my DELL monitor.

Best Regards

No Events found!