Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 25th, 2012 09:00

New Windows 8 TouchPad Doesn't Include New Gestures (Inspiron N5110)

Hi!

My N5110 has Alps TouchPad, but latest drivers for Windows 8 but it seems that they don't include new features... Whats the point changing the version number of the driver and says its Windows 8 compatible?!

Why new gestures aren't included? When will they be included?

Thanks.

October 25th, 2012 10:00

Hi,

I would suggest you to update the latest BIOS version as well. The latest version is available on Dell’s support site.

Please use the link below:

http://dell.to/QtFK85

Once you are on this webpage, insert the system Service Tag and choose Operating System. Select the BIOS version A11 and install it on the system.
While updating the BIOS, system will restart several times. Ensure that the AC Adapter is plugged in while you are running the update.

Please reply with the results.

Thanks and Regards
Priyanka S
#iworkfordell

26 Posts

October 25th, 2012 13:00

Thanks, but it doesn't answer my question. Why does the new driver won't include the new gestures? I guess when Microsoft, Alps, Synaptics and more worked on it, they planned the drivers will be updated to all laptops.

October 29th, 2012 18:00

Hi,

I apologize that you are not able to locate the gesture application on the system. However, I would request you to update the BIOS and see if it works.

I am keen on knowing the results.

Thanks and Regards
Priyanka S
#iworkfordell

26 Posts

October 30th, 2012 14:00

I've updated my BIOS, but still, same thing.

The drivers are not really updated, and I just want to ask when the new ones will arrive.

October 31st, 2012 18:00

I would like to know this as well. Please stop telling us to update our BIOS. Dell needs to update their drivers.

November 2nd, 2012 20:00

Hi DubelBoom/jayvansantos,

I regret the inconvenience caused due to the incomplete functionality of the new driver. I have escalated this to our Engineering Team and am expecting a solution by Monday. Hence, would request you to please wait till I receive an update.

In the meantime please share the Service Tag for the system and also the BIOS version in a private message and this would help us in getting a solution for the issue.

I have added you as a friend. Please accept my friend request by clicking on my name highlighted in blue and then click on “Friends” tab at the top and then click on “Request to Review” and finally click on “Accept” button.

I am sending you a private message as well. Click on “Inbox” to respond to the message and provide system’s Service Tag and contact details so I may access your system records and check for further course of action. You could also click on Start Conversation to send a private message.

Please reply to my private message.

Thanks and Regards
Priyanka S
#iworkfordell

November 3rd, 2012 11:00

I started the private conversation.

November 4th, 2012 10:00

I have the same problem, the touch gestures don't work on my Dell Inspiron n5110 (15R) with Windows 8 Pro. The touchpad acts like a mouse and not a touch interface. I have the latest bios, and the latest drivers. I hope this gets solved soon.

November 4th, 2012 11:00

All inspiron drivers are not updated. Microsoft did nothing to work close enough with Dell or any other manufacturer to massively provide the drivers on time. Please update the drivers soon. ASUS will forever be the last innovators. Good luck. It's been a week since Windows 8 is released and no drivers.

26 Posts

November 4th, 2012 12:00

Microsoft did work with ALPS to make the updated drivers...

November 4th, 2012 12:00

I have an iM101Z and the drivers haven't been updated for months..I know this is for another Inspiron but I didn't want to open another thread. Windows didn't work with them otherwise all drivers would have been updated on the release of Windows 8..

November 4th, 2012 13:00

Just to clarify things: the drivers for Inspiron N5110 (15R) are updated to support Windows 8, so multi finger gestures that worked on Windows 7 work on windows 8 too. The thing I miss is the support for the new Windows 8 built-in touch gestures: when you slide your finger from the left edge of the touchpad you change apps, etc. like described here: www.howtogeek.com/.../how-to-use-windows-8s-gestures-on-a-laptop-trackpad

November 4th, 2012 13:00

Nothing works for me. Not even charms bar. Nothing. I would like for Dell to tell me when they will update their drivers its almost been a year..

10 Posts

November 4th, 2012 16:00

I've had some success with Windows 8 gestures working on my Inspiron 1525 by using the latest Alps Trackpad Windows 8 drivers directly from Alps.

The only problem is that the driver crashes after a random period of time and trackpad input (button presses/scrolling/edge swiping) causes random keyboard entries to be made resulting in things like turning on caret browsing in IE, random strings of characters in search boxes etc. when this crash occurs the mouse pointer freezes and the only solution is to shutdown and restart.

The Dell Windows 8 Alps driver package does actually contain the DellTouchpad.exe which allows you to configure the Windows 8 gestures but when installing the driver package, this application, and I presume the associated dll files which allow the gestures to function, are not being registered correctly.

From what I can see from the Apfiltr.inf file contains the paths and instructions for installing these files and the installer puts all the files in C:\Program Files\DellTPad but only the default Dell control panel is available for the basic pointing and scrolling functions.

My guess is that someone from engineering needs to have a look at the install packages and make sure it installs the gesture supporting dlls and launches the DellTouchpad.exe (complete with gesture controls) and not the DellTPad.exe (no gesture controls).

November 4th, 2012 17:00

Correction, I have the Dell Inspiron 1121 and according to the people at Dell, I had to call Microsoft (the software vendor) since in Dell's product page the highest listed supported OS is x64 Windows 7 and not x64 Windows 8 even though to run it all you need is 1GBRAM and 1GHz.. All the drivers haven't been upgraded since May and Microsoft said it's up to you guys to update the drivers to support gestures. I called again, and they said just keep refreshing until the drivers update. 

I asked Dell on their Twitter and they don't answer, where else can I ask to get an ETA on when Dell will support all Inspiron that are running Windows 8.

How do I activate Windows 8 gestures on Dell Inspiron?

Why are the Windows 8 gestures  not working natively on my Dell Inspiron?

No Events found!