Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 17th, 2013 11:00

Please Help! Brand New Dell Inspiron 15R 5520 with preinstalled Win 8 won't boot.

Hi Everyone

I bought a Dell Inspiron 15R 5520 laptop with factory installed windows 8 OS, 3 weeks ago. I have used it for 5-6 days max.  Two days ago, I left it on hibernation for a while. Then I shut it down properly. When I switched it on again some time later, i just got to the dell logo, then i got a blue screen with the following error message:

Your PC needs to be repaired

The boot configuration data file is missing some required information

File:\BCD

Error Code: 0xc 0000034

You'll need to use the recovery tools on your installation media. If you don't have any installation media (like a disc or USB device), contact your system administrator or PC manufacturer

Press Esc for UEFI Firmware Settings

I have called tech service, they talked me through some processes that didn't solve the problem Then they registered my complaint and said they would send me a Windows8 OS CD, and then their representative would call and talk me through the process of re-installing the OS. Meaning, I will lose whatever work & installations I have done on the machine.  That apart,  I am apparently on  wait mode. The problem is, I bought this laptop as my old Dell Vostro was stolen and I am working to meet an important deadline. My work is on hold! One does not expect to have to face these problems and be forced to do-it-yourself trouble-shoot on a brand new Dell!

Also, I have been browsing some forums on Dell & Win8, apparently a lot of Dell customers are facing this problem on their machines- mostly those with Windows 8. Apparently, the problem's been around from last year. I haven't yet come across another Inspiron 15R, but a lot of people with other Dell Inspirons & Dell XPS-8500 have reported this problem. All of them seem to have tried all the options offered by Tech support- to no avail. That leaves me deeply worried.

I have been a Dell user for years. I hope this is not a Dell problem.

Does anyone know what the problem is and if it can be resolved? Can anyone help me, please?

No Responses!
No Events found!