Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 23rd, 2014 18:00

REALTEK MEMORY CARD READER DRIVER

Hello all...hopefully someone can help me. I am using a Dell Inspiron 15 3521 with Win 8.1. After performing a clean install of Win 8 with Dell's Recovery Disk that they sent me, I get to the desk top with no major issues. I begin with updating drivers from Dell's Download and Drivers page and type in my service tag. I install Chipset drivers first(Intel hm77 and Intel Management Engine Interface) and restart after each one. I then install the Realtek Card Reader. I proceed on with all of the rest of the updates and follow Dell's guide to reinstalling drivers. After the machine sets for about a half hour or so, a message appears in Action Center(flag in notification area) that states "install memory card reader driver". That message says that there is a solution, and the solution pushes me to Realtek's wesite and to download a driver for RTS 5129/5139. Dell's site states RTS 5179. Anyways, the only way I can get that message to clear is to download a driver from Realtek's site. Since then I have upgraded to Win 8.1 from the MS Store and all went well. With the exception that I still get that same error. I have tried uninstalling. restarting, redownloading that file for both 8 and 8.1 but that doesn't take the message away. Can someone point me in the right direction or have any clues why Windows is doing this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

April 28th, 2014 08:00

Hi cammac468,

Please follow the steps below to run the test on Card reader on the system.

1.       Open the link http://dell.to/14YjKb2

2.       Select ‘Hardware’ under ‘Let's diagnose your issue’.

3.       Select ‘Card reader’.

4.       Click on ‘Run Diagnostics’ button.

5.       Let me know if the results.

Also, please check if you find the card reader under ‘Universal Serial Bus Controllers’in device manager.

16 Posts

April 28th, 2014 21:00

Hi Dell- Ravi... The card reader passed that test. I do see Realtek USB 2.0 Card Reader in Device Manager under USB Controllers. I do believe that the problem has been solved. Over the weekend, after another fresh install of Windows 8, the Reliability History never updated all day long. I ran sfc /scannow in a command prompt 4 times and it detected corruption and could not fix those errors. I ran chkdsk /f/rand it took forever to complete. So I reinstalled win 8 again and cleaned the partitions of the hard drive and this card reader did not give any errors. I think the issue has gone away. I also placed a memory card in the reader today and it worked. Thanks for your help! I appreciate it greatly. cammac468

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

April 23rd, 2014 20:00

Hi cammac468,

I would suggest you to update the BIOS and then the Card reader driver from our Dell support site in sequence. Also, please reply us with the snapshot of the popup message you are receiving to update the card reader.

In addition, reply us with the snapshot of the device manager.

16 Posts

April 23rd, 2014 21:00

here is the snapshot of the device manager

1 Attachment

16 Posts

April 23rd, 2014 21:00

BIOS was updated last year to A12.

Card reader was uninstalled today...downloaded and reinstalled with the error I originally complained about in the post above.

The screen snapshot is attached.

1 Attachment

16 Posts

April 28th, 2014 21:00

The card reader passed. It also is showing in Device Manager under USB Controllers. Over the weekend, I had other issues. Reliability History never updated all day long after a clean install. SFC /scannow revealed errors that it could not fix. So I did another clean install after cleaning all partitions off the hard drive. I installed all the drivers again and the original error has not returned. I think this issue has been solved. Thank you for your help. cammac468
No Events found!