Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 14th, 2013 09:00

Replace Windows RT with Windows 8 on Dell XPS 10

Good day

I have a Dell XPS 10 tablet with Windows RT on. I hate Windows RT the fact that you are limit to install programmes.

I just wanted to know, is it possible to replace Windows RT with Windows 8 on the XPS 10 tablet and if you can how?.

Windows 8 have the desktop which allows you to install basically any programme. 

My email: <ADMIN NOTE: Email id removed per privacy policy>

Thank you

2K Posts

August 14th, 2013 20:00

Hi SPAR OSH,

I apologize for providing the wrong information on which version of Windows 8 is used on the Dell Tablet. The correct information was provided by the user spokanedj. You can only use Windows 8.1 on Tablets. The Dell Tablet has the ARM Processor.

11 Posts

September 2nd, 2013 15:00

I can't believe Dell support would give an answer like this, which is SO wrong its sad.

The XPS 10 is an ARM based processor, and therefor can only run Windows RT. You can *NOT* put Windows 8 (which only runs on x86 and x64 Hardware) on an ARM processor.

Sorry you don't like your XPS 10, I love mine.

2 Posts

August 15th, 2013 05:00

Hi Kiran

Thanks for coming back to me. But I already bought the disk. What I wanted to find out is

will I be able to install it throw the USB, and if possible how must it be done.

Thanks for your time

2K Posts

September 5th, 2013 04:00

Hey spokanedj thank you for providing the correct information to the other forum user. I was looking at some misleading information. Thanks Again

1 Message

September 29th, 2013 16:00

I have a dell latitude 10 tablet with the ARM processor. Can I dump win8 rt and put android on it?

2K Posts

September 30th, 2013 09:00

Hi jvwardle,

Unfortunately the operating system cannot be changed from Windows 8 RT to Android.

If you have any other questions do reply to the same thread.

1 Message

November 15th, 2013 02:00

Dear All,

Please I need an expert advice on my Dell XPS 10 mobile currently with a windows 8 RT. Can I format and install it with desktop windows 8 operating system?

what is the next alternative so I will be able to install other applications on it. Thank you and Standing by.

Best regards,

Samuel Amoah

11 Posts

November 15th, 2013 09:00

As stated MANY times in this thread, NO you can not.

You can upgrade it to Windows RT 8.1, which is much better than Windows RT 8.0.  Check the Store and upgrade to Windows RT 8.1 if you have not.

1 Message

January 20th, 2014 03:00

Unfortunately the operating system cannot be changed from Windows 8 RT to Android.

If you have any other questions do reply to the same thread.

amna

1 Message

February 10th, 2015 10:00

Hi can windows 7 be installed if so how ? Xps10 tablet

11 Posts

February 10th, 2015 10:00

Hi can windows 7 be installed if so how ? Xps10 tablet

No.  There is no Windows 7 version available for ARM processers.

1 Message

June 24th, 2015 16:00

Hi
I'd like to know why we can't install Androis OS on Dell XPS-10 tablets. It has already Arm based processor (Qualcomm Snapdragon S4).  Windows RT 8.1 is a dump and I don't want to use this inane thing.  

28 Posts

July 2nd, 2015 19:00

You know what ? the answer is you can install all of Operate system on your yumi DELL!

Windows

Linux

Ubuntu

Android

But the difficult is DELL does not provide official drivers for these systems. if you want to install them, you need to download drivers package from other supplier. And in this case may be your device will not run well. And if you want run android, you can install Bluestack to make a illusion Android system on your windows!! 

Done!

1 Message

October 11th, 2015 14:00

Dear Ethany

i tried to install Bluestacks but i cannot find the version for my Dell XPS 10 with windows 8.1 rt

can you please advise me if you have it

15 Posts

February 15th, 2016 01:00

My daughter forgot her password on the Dell XPS 10 Tablet. The problem is someone removed any recovery partition, or however Dell does it on Tablets. Apart from windows 8.1 which I'd like to install if I could find a Dell 8.1 disc & COA, but back to windows RT, Dell told me to call Best Buy which I found strange. Is there any one here who could put a working password remover, or the proper recovery/reinstallation on a USB drive? If so just let me know what it will cost me.

Now as for windows 8.1, that version will work on this model Tablet? Now that I think about it, I might be able to get one. As much money as I've spent on Dell product's I'm upset that I was told to go else where.

No Events found!