Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 18th, 2012 08:00

Using to Boot into Advanced Boot Options (e.g., Recover Factory Image) does not work on new Dell Inspiron 15R 5520

Hi,

I just purchased a Dell Inspiron 15R 5520 (15R-2110sLV) which has Windows 8.  I'm testing it & checking it out.  

When trying to boot into Dell Factory Image Restore Mode (to make sure you can use that function in the future) I repeatedly press on F8 and the laptop boots into Windows 8.
[according to the Inspiron 15R 5520 Users Guide "When the DELL logo appears, press few times to access the Advanced Boot Options window." ]

I have tried & failed using the default UEFI/Secure boot mode, the UEFI/unsecure boot mode, and the Legacy boot mode.  

In Legacy boot mode via F12  I am able to boot off of a CD/DVD or USB drive.  
Using the Factory Image Recovery media (on DVDs) I had previously created, I booted up the Dell Factory Image Recovery disc which offered the recommended option to "run off the harddrive" (after removing the DVD disc).  When I do that I receive errors PXE-E61 (Media Test Failure) & PXE-M0F (No boot device found. Press any key to re-boot).   When I press any key the laptop reboots & the same errors occur;  I had to use F12 to boot into Windows (to break out of the boot--error--boot--error loop ...).  [ I believe the PXE messages indicate the system is trying to boot off the Network. ] 

I have noticed that my laptop seems to be different from the Dell documentation.  Since this is a Windows 8 machine I'm guessing that Dell has pointed me to older manuals for their Win 7 version of 5520 machines.  For example, my machine has "Dell Backup & Recovery" and NOT "Dell DataSafe Backup (nor Dell Backup & Recovery Manager)" which are referenced in the manual..

... so is there anyone out there in the Dell Community  that
 - can provide me with the correct instructions for my situation ??      and/or
 - can point me to updated documentation for the Windows 8 version of my (Intel powered) Inspiron 15R 5520  ??

Also,  I had problems creating the recovery media using  Metro/Windows-8 Dell Backup & Recovery with my onboard DVD burner.  It would burn the 1st disc, but would eject the 2nd blank disc soon after inserting it.  I inserted different blank DVD+R discs with the same result.  I ended up using an external DVD burner to create the discs.  
(BTW, now, when trying the onboard DVD burner again, I can't get Dell Backup & Recovery to even burn the 1st disc -- it never enables the "start to continue" button).  
I have successfully used the DVD burner in another application and the 1st disc using Dell Backup & Recovery seemed to burn OK, ... so this problem is most likely related to the Metro-based Dell Backup & Recovery software (but it might be the DVD burner hardware ... ). 

Any help/info with this would also be appreciated. 

Thanks for your time

Community Manager

• 

3.3K Posts

November 19th, 2012 04:00

Hi DellToad,

Windows 8 removed the need for F8 key. The Advanced Boot menu is redesigned. Windows 8 boots very fast, it boots so quickly there simply isn't time for a keystroke interrupt, which would normally allow users to go to ‘Advanced boot menu’ by tapping F8.

However to Recover OS from the recover partition follow the steps given below:

1. Plug in the AC adapter.
  2. Point to the right hand corner of the screen to bring up the charms bar.
  3. Click Settings.
  4. Click the shutdown button, hold down the Shift Key and click Restart from the options provided.
  5. The system restarts, login and click Troubleshoot.
  6. Click the Dell Backup and Recovery icon.
  7. The system restarts and comes back up, click ‘Next’ on the Dell Backup and Recovery Screen.
  8. The system would be checked to see if the smart repair option can fix the issue, click ‘Next’ once this is done.
  9. You will be prompted to select the backup to be used, click the factory image option or select from one of the backups. Click Next.
  10. 10.   You will be prompted to back up your files, if needed do so by selecting the option ‘Yes, backup my personal files’ (Make sure to have an external backup hard drive handy.) or select No, Erase my files.
  11. The system goes ahead and completes the restore of the operating system. Click Restart when prompted.
  12. Follow the on-screen instructions to setup the system with windows.

It is always a good idea for the system to be in UEFI/ secure boot mode which provides greater security for your system. As this or the Legacy boot mode option will not make any difference to the system functionality.

3 Posts

November 19th, 2012 09:00

Thanks for providing me this info. I appreciate the help.  

I do have a couple follow-on questions:

1) Do you know in which manual the info you provided me is documented?  (My Dell Support Center on my Windows 8 machine seems to be for a Windows 7 machine -- parts of it direct me to Windows 7 features and to Dell documentation & software provided on Windows 7 but not provided on Windows 8.)

2) It seems to me that you have to have a functional Windows 8 system to execute your instructions to Recover the OS.  What do you do if Windows 8 is not functional?  i.e., needing to Recover the OS implies there is something wrong with the current state of the OS which would preclude being able to use your instructions ...

3) Understanding the security risks sometimes I will need to boot from CD/DVD or USB, so I will have to switch to Legacy mode booting.  In Legacy Boot mode the "Harddisk" option does not find an OS to boot, so you can't boot Windows 8 (in Legacy Boot mode) without using the boot menu & choosing UEFI-Boot/Windows-Boot-Manager.  Is that how it is supposed to work?

4) (I'm guessing the answer to question #2 will be to use Recovery Media, which makes this question more relevant.)

Do you know if the Metro/Windows 8 version of Dell Backup & Recovery software is still fairly unstable/buggy and will be fixed soon?  I had to use an external DVD burner to create Recovery Media DVDs.  I cannot create them with the Dell Backup & Recovery software using the onboard (Matshita) DVD burner.  (After burning one of three it would not continue to burn the other two ... and since then it won't even recognize a blank disc ... ??)

This laptop is going to be a gift to a very non-technical person.  I want to make sure everything is working and that this machine will be easy to own & operate.  

Thanks again for your time.

Community Manager

• 

3.3K Posts

November 20th, 2012 09:00

Hi DellToad,

The windows 8 recovery manual is not yet uploaded. You may follow the steps given in the previous post. Please reply in case of any doubts.

When the system is unable to boot normally to Windows 8, the system will automatically go to recovery partition which is like ‘Advance Boot option’ screen you get when you press F8 at start up in Windows 7. It is not necessary to have functional windows 8 to go to recovery partition.

If the system has to boot from CD/DVD or USB and if the device is connected, it will automatically detect and boot from the given device. I recommend you not to change the boot option to Legacy mode as the system may not boot.

Since you are unable to burn the CD/DVD to create recovery media, I recommend that you click on ‘Update’ tile in the ‘Dell Backup & Recovery’ software and then try to create the recovery media.

38 Posts

November 21st, 2012 15:00

Hi, im having a huge problem.

Every time I turn on my laptop, appears a blue screen and reset even before windows start. How can I acces the restore partition????? I thinks it was a very bad ideia remove de F8 feature.

Can anyone help me? My laptop came with no Restore CD.

Community Manager

• 

3.3K Posts

November 23rd, 2012 06:00

Hi JimmyCroft,

Generally Windows 8 will automatically give Recovery Options after 2 to 3 failed reboot.

However, I recommend you to run a diagnostics on the hardware components of the system. To run diagnostics restart the system and at the Dell logo tap the F12 key every two seconds. This will start the One-time boot menu. Using arrow keys select ‘Diagnostics’ and hit enter. This will run diagnostics on the hardware components of the system which may take around 5 minutes. Please reply to this post in case of any error message.

If the test passes, the option is to reset the system to the factory installed state. Please follow the step given in the previous post to set the system to the factory installed state.

There is no option to access the Recovery partition.

2 Posts

December 16th, 2012 00:00

Issue has been solved. please press the settings button in the right corner top (above insert prntscr delete buttons)of the laptop when its starting. you may get the advanced recovery mode options.

2 Posts

December 16th, 2012 00:00

Hi sujatha,

i got new laptop inspiron 5520 with windows 8. first few times the advanced menu appears and still i am looking for it with the keys but i could'nt get it. at the moment the laptop is getting into automatic repair mode and i waited more than a hour to restore by clicking start restore and nothing happend.

could you please guide me to get in to advanced recovery mode option please?

With Regards,

Mohamed Bilal

5 Posts

October 21st, 2013 01:00

hi kanba... i just recently purchased a dell laptop inspiron 15R.. it is 4th generation as the sales agent says and has an os of windows 8. i saw an update in the store of windows 8 to windows 8.1 or .2.pardon me i forgot .. i was trying to update it and i left my computer for an hour since it is updating.. when i saw my laptop it has black screen and i can only see the arrow pointer constantly blinking.. i was trying to restart it but i cant find the menus... i tried removingbthe power cord and restarted again my laptop but again it is back to that blank screen with the pointer constantly blinking... can you please help me on what shall i do and how should i do it because im a new dell user and i have 0 knowledge of the necessary keys to press... please help me

thank you so much

9 Posts

January 1st, 2020 07:00

Tapping F8 NOT WORKING PLEASE HELP!

I have a Dell inspiron 15 5520 came with Windows 7 and that is what OS is on now on my laptop and I have tried over 20 times booting up trying to get to advanced options screen to get to system restore recovery so I can use factory restore image to put my laptop to factory status.

I have had many Dell laptops and desktop computers and have activated advanced options and used factory images and put laptops and desktops to factory status so YES I have done this many times.

Are they other ways while in Windows 7 I can activate system restore and get my laptop to factory status state?

PLEASE HELP THANK YOU.

Boyd

No Events found!