Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 31st, 2012 10:00

VOSTRO 3750 & Windows 8: Does not resume from sleep or Hibernate most of the time

After upgrading weeks ago to Windows 8 (TECHNET account),  My 3750 has failed to correctly recover from sleep or hibernation.    With the latest A14 Bios, which mentioned something about S4 or S5 power states, I thought it might have been fixed.   Wrong.   If I leave the laptop running, I can come back the next day and when i hit the power button to wake it up, it boots clean.  Sleep does work once in a while, when I close the lid and then wake it up a few minutes later, but any long term period in sleep causes a fresh boot and loss of any open programs.

Anyone else have this experience?  

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 31st, 2012 11:00

Vostro 3750 to my knowledge has the same Phoenix SecureCore Tiano UEFI bios as my Vostro 3450 and this is what we are getting as well (3 of us so far .. but I bet you there are more people who are having this kind of issues)... Vostro 3350 and 3550 on the other hand have Insyde H20.

Here's my thread: en.community.dell.com/.../19473585.aspx

October 31st, 2012 17:00

Hi evanrich/Dolnor,

To assist you better please provide me the system Service Tag in a private message so that we can forward the issue to the concerned department.

Meanwhile, please let us know if you have performed any troubleshooting steps to resolve the issue (apart from the ones mentioned in the forum).

I have added you as a friend. Please accept my friend request by clicking on my name highlighted in blue and then click on “Friends” tab at the top and then click on “Request to Review” and finally click on “Accept” button.

I am sending you a private message as well. Click on “Inbox” to respond to the message and provide system’s Service Tag and contact details so I may access your system records and check for further course of action. You could also click on Start Conversation to send a private message.

Please reply to my private message.

Thanks and Regards
Priyanka S
#iworkfordell

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 1st, 2012 13:00

I did receive friend request, however no Inbox messages received on my end.

I've found another issue with latest BIOS A13 for Dell Vostro 3450 ..

The changelog says there have been some fixes for Quick Set for Windows 8.

While I was staying on A11 my Fn+F1 monitor extend/mirror hotkey worked, as of A13 it does absolutely nothing .. this menu here

http://www.extremetech.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/windows-8-cp-live-tiles-multi-monitors.jpg

won't show up at all .. the rest of the Multimedia (Function) keys seem to be working ...

27 Posts

November 5th, 2012 04:00

I also have issues restoring programs from hibernation - hibernation works, just none of the programs I had open are open when Windows returns (like Chrome says it crashed).  I've been posting in other threads as well, but thought I would post here, to make sure Dell is getting the picture that there are problems with the drivers they are releasing for Windows 8. I have a Vostro 3450.

13 Posts

January 18th, 2013 08:00

Hi,

I have the same issue on my new Vostro 3360 running Win8 Pro (64-bit)

Sleep is fine, but left overnight it will not resume, simply does a cold boot losing any open documents.

I have enabled and disabled 'fast start up' but it makes no difference.

Shot period sleep and manual 'hibernate' are both fine.

The machine re-boots and shutdown/boot both fine.

The only issue is closing the lid and leaving over night - this is my usual approach.

Thanks

Graham

13 Posts

January 20th, 2013 11:00

Update:

My issue seems to be caused by Intel Rapid Start Technology.

Basically the default setting is that after 2hrs it kicks in, which meant effectively the system is turned off, ie neither a clean shut down or a hibernate.

So when when trying to 'resume', the first boot fails (presumably iRST trying to resume from a SSD partition), the 2nd time is effectively a fresh boot, meaning when you get back to desktop, your open work/files are lost.

So either disabling iRST in systray or BIOS, solved this issue for me, then Windows just takes care of it, either remaining in 'sleep' or ultimately hibernating if that is what you have set it to. 

27 Posts

January 21st, 2013 22:00

Update for me with my 3450 - previously I had installed Windows 8 and then installed the A13 bios update after. Now I have done a clean install of Windows 8 AFTER I had already installed A13 and hibernation works correctly after re-installing the latest ATI graphic drivers from Dell for my system.  Nice it works now - sucks that I had to totally re-install everything from scratch to make it work though.

27 Posts

January 23rd, 2013 06:00

UPDATE of my update. So hibernate and sleep work. Sleep works awesome - so fast!

But hibernation takes like 3 min. for the computer to turn off. When it resumes, it books quick. But seriously 3 min shutdown?  I have a freaking Intel Core i7!!!  Dell, I have been a life-long customer, but I think this is my last computer from you. I can't trust that you will let me get the latest software on my computer. So dumb.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 20th, 2013 10:00

@nwells

For me sleep error occure randomly. So it occure since you write last post here?

17 Posts

November 4th, 2013 11:00

So far this has happened to me three times. About once a month, I face this issue.

Hibernate → Resume from hibernation fails → Windows 8 clean boots and all my previously running programs' states are lost.

Any unsaved work is also lost.

This issue is very rare, but ever since it happened the first time, I always fear leaving any work unsaved when hibernating.

No Events found!