Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 5th, 2014 04:00

Windows 8.1 Sleep/Hibernate Problem After Closing Laptop.

Problem:

After updating to Windows 8.1 my system does not sleep or hibernate anymore. I can shut it down or restart it but if I try closing the laptop so it does to sleep/hibernate mood then it does not turn off. Once I open the laptop it is still on and the screen is black and won´t turn on. Only thing I can do is Force a Shut Down by pressing the power button for couple seconds. 

Problem Started: 

It started when I updated to Winows 8.1 which I updated though my computer. (Windows App Store)

What have I done to try fix it:

-Tried updating my graphic drivers which are up to date.                                                                 - Uninstalled any program that was not being used and was useless ( Advertisement, spam, auto downloaded programs )                                                                                                               - Rebooted Computer.                                                                                                                - PC Checkup from My Dell program. ( all results came back good )                                                   - Malware/Anti-virus scans ( They were both fine )

System Info:

- Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4500U CPU @ 1.80GHz                                                                             - RAM 8gb                                                                                                                               - Windows 8.1 (64bit)                                                                                                                 - Touch Screen                                                                                                                         - Laptop Type Dell Inspiron 5537                                                                                               - BIOS A06                                                      

Graphic Info:

- Intel(R) HD Graphics Family                                                                                                     - Generic PnP Monitor                                                                                                 

AMD Graphic:

- AMD Radeon HD 8800M Series                                                                                                 

5.2K Posts

March 5th, 2014 08:00

Can you put it to sleep using the power selection in the charms bar? My experience with Windows is that the ability to sleep by time-out or by closing the lid on a laptop varies with the updating process. Sometimes it's OK, others not. This is true for my laptops and desktops. I now always manually put them into sleep. Only takes a few seconds more than by closing the lid. I have not found any fix for this issue.

5.2K Posts

March 5th, 2014 11:00

I just went back to check the Advanced Settings in the Power Profiles. Found three settings that were not set right.

1 - Under Wireless, change power savings mode to maximum performance

2 - Under Multimedia, set when sharing media to allow the computer to sleep.

3 - Under Sleep, set allow wake timers to disable.

My I660 will now go beddie-bye all by its self. Perhaps one of the updates changed these, possibly Win 8.1 itself, and I never bothered to check - my bad.

3 Posts

March 7th, 2014 09:00

The only setting I had to change was the multiedia one.

Now when I manually make the computer sleep it actually goes to sleep mode. 

The problem now is that it does not reactivate. I still have to shut it down and turn it back on.

5.2K Posts

March 7th, 2014 21:00

Lots of posts on this recovery issue. See this POST and search for more. http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19536458.aspx

11 Posts

May 16th, 2014 03:00

Last night Sleep mode not working in Windows 8. The problem is, when I closed the laptop lid the display off but the computer doesn't Sleep. Solved: Sleep Mode Not Working In Windows 8 And 8.1

Solved: Sleep Mode Not Working In Windows 8 And 8.1

May 16th, 2014 09:00

My Dell 15r SE 7520 did the same thing when I updated. (Worst mistake I made). I went to the Dell site and updated all of my drivers and BIOS to the ones for Windows 8.1. The device manager did not show any problems, but after I did this it fixed a "thread stuck in device driver" problem and the hibernate problem.

No Events found!