Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

August 7th, 2013 05:00

Windows 8 apps will not work

I have a new Dell XPS 2720.  I have used a Microsoft account to login to the computer.

None of the preinstalled windows apps work at all.  when I click on any of them, such as maps or photos or travel, they start to open then close straight away.

When I open the windows app store I am told I cannot connect ant to "try again".  When I click this I can browse the apps but when I click to install one I am given error 0x80070032 and cannot download a thing.

I have tried the suggested things such as confirming my time and location, disabling firewall and antivirus settings, using another Microsoft account, but nothing has fixed it.

Microsoft refuse to help as it is a Dell system with OEM software.  Dell have just been sending me off to look at forums that have made things worse, like completely deleting my Microsoft account or change y password which effects everything I do with that account.

Has anyone got any help? Or should I ask for a refund and send this machine back because it does not perform like advertised?

3.1K Posts

August 7th, 2013 14:00

Hi Crawfy,

I understand it could be upsetting if the system doesn't work properly.

Try running the Apps troubleshooter from the following link http://dell.to/14yYzy5. This tool can automatically identify and fix some problems with apps. Once you click on the link, a file will be downloaded. Run the file and follow the on-screen instructions to fix the issue.

Also, ensure that Windows update is up-to date. Please see What to do if you have problems with an app.

Hope this helps.

3 Posts

August 7th, 2013 17:00

I have made sure windows is up to date.

After running the tool from  http://dell.to/14yYzy5 the only error it gave me was that my Western digital network storage device driver was out of date.  I confirmed it is in fact up to date but device manager still says it is out of date.  I can't see how a NAS on a network could be effecting my windows apps though.

Anyway, the apps are still not working. Surely it is a setting somewhere.

3.1K Posts

August 8th, 2013 17:00

Hi Crawfy,

Thank you for the response. I would suggest you to perform a Refresh on your computer. The Refresh option is primarily a repair method. With the Refresh option, user accounts, data files and some settings are preserved on your PC without the need to create a backup or to make choices about what to keep or remove.

Here are the steps:

1. Open the General section of PC Settings by the key combination WIN KEY + C to open charms bar and click PC Settings.

2. Click the Get started button under Refresh your PC without affecting your files.

3. Click the Next button at the Refresh your PC step of the wizard.

4. You may be prompted to insert installation or recovery media if there is not a recovery image preconfigured on your PC.

5. Click the Refresh button at the Ready to refresh your PC step.

6. At this point, the PC is restarted, and the refresh actions are completed.

Once Refresh is complete, please ensure that Windows Updates are up-to-date.

Hope this helps.

2 Posts

September 13th, 2013 02:00

Hi,

I have the very same problem on a the same DELL computer.

The repair tools says:

- Some security settings are missing or have been changed
- Check for missing or corrupt files

It says then that those problems are repaired, but they keep displayed when relaunching the tool.

The event log says for each app (change "winstore_xxx" by the appropriate app name): Activation of application winstore_cw5n1h2txyewy!Windows.Store failed with error: The system cannot find the file specified. See the Microsoft-Windows-TWinUI/Operational log for additional information.

Regards,
Math

3.1K Posts

September 13th, 2013 22:00

Hi Math,

If you are still facing the same issue, then I would suggest you to perform a Refresh on the computer. This should take care of the problem.

Good Luck :emotion-21:

February 20th, 2015 18:00

After running the link, I can open the store, but not other apps. When I tried to do PC refresh, it closed straightaway like other apps.

The problems found by DELL detect:

1) some security settings are missing or can not be fixed: not fixed

2) window store configuration may be damaged: detected

Appreciate if you could help.

Thanks Kate

2 Posts

February 27th, 2015 02:00

I'm having the same exact problem as Little Swan. Contacted Microsoft support and they wanted $100 to fix the problem. I told them to get lost....does anyone have a remedy for this other than a complete clean install?

2 Posts

February 27th, 2015 02:00

I didn't want to make a refresh too: I had a lot of programs installed... so never succeeded to make this work.

Apparently this appends when login with a domain account, so i used a Microsoft account as a palliative...

5.2K Posts

February 27th, 2015 22:00

What WIn 8 are you using and have you upgraded from Win 8 to 8.1?

This problem IS NOT related to the hardware, but to Windows. 

Some things to try:

Load the Command Prompt program (with Administrative Privileges) and run SFC /SCANNOW to check for faulty windows programs.

Run an AV program and several anti-malware programs.

This problem can occur because of some basic incompatibility between Win 8.x and things like AV programs, or if running two AV programs; something downloaded running with Windows Defender is a problem. If you are running any other AV except Windows defender, uninstall it and go to Defender in the Control panel and make sure it's running. Then try some apps. Also make sure you are running Win 8.1 with all the updates. Make sure you don't have two AV programs running at the same time.

You also could uninstall all programs you have installed, but Refresh basically does the same thing. The best answer is a Refresh or Reset as recommended by Dell-Appu S. If still under warranty, ask Dell for a re-installation disk.

I'll look for more possible solutions. The only time I had this problem was with regards to AV programs. There have been many cases of individual Modern programs not working after periods of working. However this is never all the programs, and results from program authors not updating the app after the many MS Windows updates.

February 28th, 2015 19:00

My one is Win 8.1. it is still under warranty. I got the email from Dell Technical Support 2 days ago that they will send me USBKEY to restore the operating system. Hope it will be fine after that.

I did a SFC /Scannow as you said. it found some files corrupted and some of the files can not be fixed. I use the computer only for surfing internet or simple games. I do not know what caused it. Thanks for your reply. It helps and I learnt something new. Cheers,

2 Posts

March 1st, 2015 15:00

I have Win 8.1 as well with all of the latest updates. I think you're on the right track with the system file USBKEY since you're under warranty. I hope that works for you. In an attempt to fix this irritating problem, I did the same as you; SFC /Scannow, "Application Packages and Group Policy" reset in the registry, powershell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted Add-AppxPackage command and everything else that Microsoft and other tech blogs prescribed and nothing worked.

I could not even get into the Windows 8.1 "Change System Settings" to do a refresh of the Windows 8.1 applications and perform and Update and Recovery because it was suffering from the same problem as all of the other Win 8.1 apps. The other strange thing was that I had the System Restore activated before this problem started and mysteriously it had been deactivated and my restore points were gone. This leads me to believe that this may have been an undetected virus or trojan that made its way in undetected. 

Since my computer is no longer under warranty, the only thing that saved me was that I upgraded to a SSD drive a few weeks ago and was able to put my old HDD in (which had a fresh Windows 8.1 install on it) and flash the image back over to my SSD and overwrite the corrupted Windows 8.1. Hopefully the USBKEY that Dell provides for you will do the same. Good luck.

No Events found!