Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 14th, 2013 14:00

Windows 8 install. Disc didn't came in the package

Yesterday I received my Alienware m17x R4 with Windows 8. I want to upgrade the laptop with a SSD, but the Windows 8 disc didn't come in the box, the only disc that came with the package was the one with the drivers. How can I do a Windows 8 clean install in the new SSD? Do I need to download the OS or ask for the disc? Or, can I do it with the Alien Respawn and the recovery data in a USB flash drive?

13 Posts

March 14th, 2013 16:00

I called Dell Support after having trouble creating the Recovery Media onto both DVD Media and a 16 GB USB Flash Drive and politely asked him if he would agree to send me the Windows 8 Recovery Disk and I Volunteered to pay for the Shipping and he then agreed to send me the DVD at no additional charge, if you are polite when calling Dell Support they may very well agree to send it to you too. Just FYI.

13 Posts

March 14th, 2013 17:00

P.S. it did also turn out that Dell Backup and Recovery 1.0.0.2 is NOT the latest version even though it came Pre-Installed on my Ready to Ship Dell Inspiron 15 3521 Laptop. The latest version of Dell Backup and Recovery is actually 1.0.0.4.

13 Posts

March 14th, 2013 18:00

Just noticed that you are inquiring about Alienware not Dell. I am NOT familiar with what Alienware comes with but my Ready to Ship Dell Windows 8 System came with something called Dell Backup and Recovery 1.0.0.2 which actually was NOT the Latest Version of the Back Up System (1.0.0.4 is the Latest). Make sure that you have the Latest Version of the Software before Trying to Create Recovery Media, and also I need to warn you that although you can contact Dell Alienware Support and request the Windows 8 Backup Disk , it most likely will NOT include all of the DELL OEM Device Drivers and DELL OEM 3rd Party Software. My Disk only contained the Minimum 3rd Party Intel Processor Drivers needed in order to install the Operating System.

10 Posts

March 14th, 2013 21:00

Yeah, the Alienware comes with Alien Respawn that works just like Dell Back Up and Recovery. I´ll to get the DVD from Dell, meanwhile I´ll keep using the HDD.

No Events found!