Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 15th, 2016 06:00

Windows 8 re-install, 238 updates fail

Recovered 5342 Laptop 2 days ago. When I hit update and restart it attempts to install 238 updates (for 1-1/4 hours), then while installing it gives a failure error and uninstalls all it has done (another 45 minutes)

Help, just want to upgrade to windows 10. Do I need to do the updates first?

• 

17K Posts

April 15th, 2016 08:00

longharddrive

Yes, you will need to do all the updates in Windows 8/8.1 prior to upgrading to Windows 10. You also may want to click the link below and choose your computer from the list. Once on the site for your computers Drivers choose the OS (windows 10) and download all the win 10 drivers for the computers hardware. You could download them on your computer and copy to a usb key or burn to a disc. That way when you upgrade to windows 10 you have the drivers on a disk to install.

Dell Drivers and Downloads

Drivers Install Order and Help

For me to better assist in troubleshooting, please click my DELL-Jesse L and send me a Private Message with the Dell Service Tag number and your Dell Order number.

You would click my name in blue, then on the next page in the upper right corner, click the words "send private message"

4 Operator

• 

2.3K Posts

April 15th, 2016 10:00

Hello!  Actually you do not need to update windows 8 unless you just want to do an in place upgrade.  If you want to do a fresh upgrade which is recommended, download the drivers as Jesse L stated, then go to microsoft.com/windows and follow the instructions to make a USB/DVD for windows 10.  Boot from that disc/usb and go from there.  If you do just an in place upgrade then yes it is highly recommended to update all of windows 8 first.

No Events found!