Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 1st, 2012 15:00

XPS 435 MT and Windows 8

I see that the XPS 435 T is not recommended for Windows 8. I have the XPS 435 MT will it be able to run Windows 8?

17 Posts

November 12th, 2012 04:00

I did a migration from Windows 7 to Windows 8, no clean install, This way i did not have to reinstall all SW I have on the PC. (Vista to Win 7 migration I did some years ago)

I have an ATI HD4850 graphic card. ATI does not support this card any longer, hence ATI does not provide WIN 8 drivers. However, Windows 8 supports this graphic  card with own drivers.

The Motherboard Bios I updated years ago to Version 1.1.4

What surpised me is that my Miccrosoft Webcam, LifeCam VX-6000, is not Win8 compatible.

It still works under the Desktop mode of Win 8 e.g. in Spype. But using the Metro version of Skype the camera is not visable. So I bought a new one.

VirtualCloneDrive I had to reinstall after upgrading to Win8.

Most things the Win8 compatibility check stated it is not compatible I deinstatlled bevor migrating to Windows 8.  But it was only a few items listed.

November 1st, 2012 18:00

Hi,

I would recommend you to run the Upgrade advisor program on your system. If it gives you the options to proceed then you can upgrade the system to Windows 8. However, would like to inform that the drivers of any device built on this system model for win8 are not available on Dell’s support site you will have to work with the default Windows 8 drivers. 

Please refer to the link to run the upgrade advisor: http://bit.ly/SKiFdW

Hope this is useful. Please reply.

Thanks and Regards
Priyanka S
#iworkfordell

November 3rd, 2012 11:00

Hello'

Today I called Dell tech support and they said that they could install windows 8 on my studio xps 435 mt but it will cost me $129.00. I was not told what needs to be "fixed" to install win8. I purchased win 8 from Microsoft online as a download and now will not be able to use it. I am very unhappy with Dell!

Thanks, Ed J.

November 6th, 2012 05:00

Hi,

I am sorry for the inconvenience that you have experienced. I understand that it must have been upsetting and not being able to upgrade your system to Windows 8. Could you please let me know if you had run the upgrade advisor before trying to install Windows 8 as upgrade advisor scans the hardware, apps and connected devices to see if they will work with Windows 8?

Looking forward to hear from you.

Thanks and Regards
Priyanka S
#iworkfordell

November 7th, 2012 08:00

I ran the windows 8 upgrade assistant and it only had 4 issues to review and only one was somewhat important and that was Secure boot isn't compatible with my PC, but I thought that windows 8 will work without secure boot. Is the upgrade adviser something from Dell?

I really would like to install windows 8 and would appreciate any help offered!

Ed J.

November 9th, 2012 04:00

Hi,

Windows Upgrade Advisor is from Microsoft. It scans the apps and connected devices, and provides a compatibility report about the products that we know will or won't work in Windows 8.

As you’ve mentioned that upgrade advisor has detected Secure Boot as one of the issues not compatible with your system, I would suggest that you will be able to upgrade the system to Windows 8, however drivers for Windows 8 are not yet available on the Dell’s support site.

Please reply for further assistance.

Thanks and Regards
Priyanka S
#iworkfordell

November 9th, 2012 08:00

When do you think that the drivers will be available?

17 Posts

November 11th, 2012 07:00

I have updgraded my StudioXPS 435MT (from end 2008) to Windows 8. 

Secure boot will of course never be supported as this requires a new type of mother board with UEFI Firmware. Not even my daughters Laptop only 5 month old has this type of Support.

The only issue I have with Windows 8 is when I select power save mode instead of shutting down the PC. The PC is entering power save mode but when I want it to wake up again it is waking-up but soon thereafter the PC reboots.  Not sure what Ii can do solve this issue. I do not know if this is a Dell issue or Microsoft issue.

November 11th, 2012 09:00

Did you upgrade using the download, or with a CD or DVD disk, Did you save everything or do a clean install? I would like to save everything, I updated all drivers, shut down anti virus programs and tried installing 6 times and get the win 8 BSOD saying that there was a "page fault in a non paged area"

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

November 11th, 2012 11:00

Did you upgrade using the download, or with a CD or DVD disk, Did you save everything or do a clean install? I would like to save everything, I updated all drivers, shut down anti virus programs and tried installing 6 times and get the win 8 BSOD saying that there was a "page fault in a non paged area"

Did you attempt A Clean install yourself see my wiki for details. See here also: http://www.eightforums.com/bsod-crashes-debugging/9501-windows-8-bsod-page-error-non-paged-area.html

November 14th, 2012 09:00

At least now I know that my computer can run win8, I must have a problem somewhere. I did everything that you tried, you had success and I just get the BSOD error "page fault in a non paged area.  

9 Posts

December 14th, 2012 20:00

I receive the same "page fault in a non paged area" error when trying to upgrade to Windows 8. A real bummer since I purchased the software download from Microsoft - not Dell. If Dell can install it for 129.00, why can't they post the fix for a nominal fee? Last Dell computer I buy.

6 Posts

January 22nd, 2013 21:00

Did you get the multi-card reader to work with Windows 8?  That's the only thing I have yet to find a way to get working.  USB works but not SD,xD, CF, etc.

Thanks.

17 Posts

February 19th, 2013 10:00

Just tested a SD Card (4GB) from my digital camera, yes it works. I have not tested the other onces. But if one multicard Slot works the other should work too.

The only thing I can't get working is the "WINTV-HVR 1200" PCI Card.  Even so I bought the Driver CD from manufacture Hauppauge for 10 Euro it does not work.

6 Posts

February 19th, 2013 11:00

"Engine 12",I see from a previous post of yours that you upgraded from Win7.  I upgraded from Vista-64.  Is that the only difference or did you do anything additional that may have caused the multi-card reader to work?

A camera SD card is the same thing I am attempting to use.  I also have another camera with an xD card.  Neither work right now.  I don't even get a light when I plug them in.

Thank you,

jason

No Events found!