Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 18th, 2012 18:00

XPS 8500 failing from factory

I need your help. Long story short, I received my XPS 8500 (Windows 8, I7, 16g Ram, 2TB, 25gb SSD) 22 days ago and  I haven´t been able to use it so far. 

When I first turned the computer on it froze at the "First time" customization  process (language, time, preferences, etc..) rebooted a couple of times and same thing happened. After several frustrating calls with Dell's tech support and 22 days later the USB with windows 8 inside came today.

Today after two hours with tech support over the phone my XPS 8500 still unusable. They couldn't figure out how to re-install Windows 8 from the USB drive they sent. They made me change the Boot Mode from UEFI to Legacy and got to a point where I need to select the drive where I wanted Windows 8 to be installed but I had 0 options, drives aren't recognized. 

Then after a couple of changes to the boot mode, they wanted me to chose the legacy option reboot from USB. But the machine recognizes the SSD as the USB and not the USB attached at the front containing Windows 8.

So here I am begging for your help.

I hope it makes sense.

Thanks!

4 Operator

• 

2K Posts

December 19th, 2012 11:00

Hi Rodrigo.L,

Request you to change SATA mode from AHCI mode to RAID.

Now try to boot, if normal boot happens then follow the same procedure and change it back to AHCI.

Let us know about the progress.

2 Posts

December 28th, 2012 16:00

Well mine is going to be replaced but it will take one more month before I get it. I bought on Nov 6 that means I'll have a working computer (hopefully) 3 months after the purchase. But with your comment I'll have to test it for a couple of weeks before transferring all my data. I'm so disappointed.

December 28th, 2012 16:00

My 3 week old Dell Xps 8500 failed today. The tech had me change the Bios from uefi to raid and it made no difference. So I had to reset and lost all my data. When I first setup and tried windows update, had several errors. So looks like a problem with dell windows 8 install.
No Events found!