Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 1st, 2014 11:00

XPS 8700 - Windows 8 w/ Intel Smart Response Technology re-install

Hello Community,

My hard disk in my XPS 8700 failed recently. I received a replacement and have installed the new drive in the chassis. This is the only HDD (2 TB) however I also have SSD (30 GB) for Intel Smart Response Technology.

I'm having trouble with the OS / Intel Smart Response Technology installation. I'm attempting to (re)install Windows 8 from disc. When I run the OS install, just after selecting the language preferences a screen appears stating a media driver is missing.
"Load Driver
A media driver your computer needs is missing. This could be a DVD, USB or Hard disk driver. If you have a CD, DVD or USB flash drive with the driver on it, please insert it now.
Note: If the installation media for Windows is in the DVD drive or on a USB drive, you can safely remove it for this step."
I assume this is regarding the ISRT driver. I have attempted to put the ISRT driver on a USB stick however it is not being detected when browsing.
"Load Driver
No device drivers were found. Make sure that the installation media contains drivers, and then click OK."
I need assistance ensuring the BIOS and RAID setup are correct before installing Windows 8 with ISRT. Currently neither the HDD or SSD have RAID Volume created (note no changes have been made in the BIOS, however the existing RAID configuration was deleted from the SSD).
URGENT assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Dell XPS 8700
Windows 8, 64-bit, English
2TB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive + Intel SRT (30 GB Lite-On SSD MSATA)
24GB Dual Channel DDR3 1600MHz - 4 DIMMs

3 Posts

October 1st, 2014 12:00

Working with a Dell technician by chat we determined the issue was with the ISRT driver files on the USB drive. I had attempted to download them from the Driver and Utilities disc that came with the computer however the correct files were not extracted to the USB drive.

The tech located the correct driver and once extracted to the USB drive the driver was detected.

No Events found!