Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 28th, 2013 22:00

windows 8.1 recovery problem and install dell backup and recovery software...

i had upgrade my windows to 8.1, the problem is that i cant install Dell backup & recovery, when i installing and updating PE I get FACTORY SETUP ERROR 5

is there any technical help me please...thx

however...its cant recovery or reset my laptop back to factory image...

http://en.community.dell.com/cfs-file.ashx/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/3518/1423.zzzzzz-pichunter_2800_342_2900_.jpg

just like this photo...

recovery cant... refresh also cant...

23 Posts

September 7th, 2014 21:00

got warranty but they said it was software problem, that warranty not including software problem...

23 Posts

September 7th, 2014 21:00

yes,i had uninstalled from control panel, but when i installing Dell Backup and Recovery of version 1.7.1.2, its shown factorysetup error 5...(i cant post picture here cause here only allow 500kb) then uninstalling itself, What happen with this??

September 8th, 2014 20:00

I'm getting the same error on my Inspiron15R.  Someone sent me a message to uninstall Dell Backup and Recovery (which I already did).  Then reinstall (which I already did).  Didn't mention what to do with the factory error 5.

Helpfully said this happened because I upgraded to win8.1 without first unintalling and reinstalling Dell backup.  Since there was no way to know this, I didn't find that a helpful comment.

I'm giving up on Dell Back up and recovery at this point.  Tired of it not working.  Bought a competitor's product.  Yet another example of Dell stuff that doesn't work....

September 8th, 2014 20:00

Here was the advice that was supposed to help.

Reply by DELL-David F

Please go to the control panel and completely uninstall Dell Backup and Recovery.  There are two entries, but uninstalling the application will uninstall both.  Once you have confirmed that this is done, go to www.dellbackupandrecovery.com and download/install a fresh copy of version 1.7.1.2 and let me know what happens.  If it gives you an error, please post that here.

All others from older posts,

The problem is most likely due to not updating Dell Backup and Recovery to the Win8.1 compliant version PRIOR to updating to Win8.1.  Please follow the instruction above.

Thanks,

As mentioned in earlier posts, I had already done everything he mentioned.  Uninstalled (it is still uninstalled), downloaded (downloaded again today).  Here is the error message (again).

Factorysetup error 5

23 Posts

September 11th, 2014 09:00

ur problem same with me, when i open Dell Backup and Recovery,they mention me to install new version, after that i downloaded and installing.... its call me uninstall Dell Backup and Recovery which oldest version and install new version, i had done it step by step, but occur that Factorysetup error 5...

i post here already half year, still dont have any solution. i'm very disappointed...

255 Posts

September 11th, 2014 14:00

Francisw (and all),

We are aware of the issue and are in the process of troubleshooting and trying to get to the bottom of this.  I will post any updates here as soon as possible.  I don't have a solution or workaround yet.

Thanks,

23 Posts

September 12th, 2014 03:00

Thanks for ur help.... i will wait that updates...

2 Posts

September 23rd, 2014 11:00

The exact same happens to me. The whole process stops at around 54% and then an error occurs telling me that the creation of a new recovery could not be completed since it cannot find the right path (probably the same error as before, since the link between the recovery and the OS is lost since the update from WIN8 to WIN8.1). I am waiting for almost a year... Will this ever be solved?

255 Posts

September 23rd, 2014 14:00

Leauwie,

Could you provide me with a little more info, maybe a screenshot of the error?  What process stops at 54%?  There are a couple of different things being reported on this thread.  I've been working on the 'factory setup error 5' which is an error during installation. What version of Dell Backup and Recovery are you using?

Thanks,

2 Posts

September 24th, 2014 07:00

My apologies, I must have thought this thread was on a different topic. I'll try to find the right one!

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 8th, 2014 02:00

I have got the same problem. After upgrading to W8.1 I can not get B&R 1.7 working. 

Previous version 1.6 was working OK. 

Update to version 1.7.5 requested to uninstall version 1.6.

I have gone to Panel Control and fully uninstalled previous version.

After that I get error message:

Factorysetup error 5

Recovery partition exists in Disk Manager:

Is there any solution for that problem?

I have also tried to install version 1.7.2 and even previous version 1.6 and the error message is always the same. 

October 12th, 2014 09:00

"I will post any updates here as soon as possible."

This post is one month old! And the problem near to one year !!! Whats the problem with this issue ??? Nobody at Dell cares about this problem (factory setup error 5)!

I paid 1300€ for this notebook and 35€ for premium version of dell backup and recovery. When nothing happens till next week, i will order my money back.

October 12th, 2014 19:00

Dell doesn't care.  I gave up and bought another product.  

My other machine broke and it took almost 60 days to get a replacement and their next day service didn't show up on 5+ appointments.  They replaced everything and it still didn't work.  The laptop that I had this problem on is also now not working very well.

I won't buy Dell ever again after being a loyal customer since the early 90s.

I bought 3 computers last December.  1 died; 1 barely works; and 1 is iffy.  My 5 year old Dell is works better!!!  They do not make a quality product any more.

23 Posts

October 13th, 2014 01:00

yeah, problem same with mine... totally, not only of us met that problem, i think other dell user met that too...

but i'm very curious is that until now still dont had any solution? another ones is why other brand pc upgrade to 8.1 doesnt had this problem? still can recovery...

255 Posts

October 13th, 2014 16:00

VeryDisappointedUser,

I'm sorry that you and the other users posting here have experienced this problem and assure you we have been working on it.  We have been working directly with some affected customers and believe this to be due to a failed update from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1, which was eventually completed successfuly, yet left the recovery partitions in a strange state.  You can see some of this in the screenshots from the post above.  There are multiple recovery partitions (should not be).  Dell Backup and Recovery is looking for something in a particular recovery partition (where it should be) and can not find it because Windows has moved it during the update process.

We have found a workaround, and as soon as we know how to deploy that in a usable manner for our customers, I will post updates here.

I constantly monitor these forums, as well as all other customer feedback regarding Dell Backup and Recovery.

Thanks,

No Events found!