Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 20th, 2005 04:00

0x0000009C MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION and more

earlier today I downloaded a "live cd" version of Ubuntu Linux.
After booting it on my Inspiron 5150 and rebooting to Windows XP pro sp2
I discovered that Windows would suddenly shutdown (shutdown isn't the right word, more like simply going back to the bios check/bootup screen without any suggestion it was going to do so). After checking, the problem seemed to be only in Windows, so I proceeded to reinstall Win XP. After much trouble with the machine rebooting itself, I made it throught by SP1 and SP2 only to discover that Windows will now give me a MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION 0x0000009C blue screen. Microsoft directed me to /support.microsoft.com/?kbid=329284> but I must question rather this is a hardware problem because I ran the diagnostics program that appear after pressing F12.
Any Suggestion on ways that I can fix this without buying a new laptop/hardware?

I suspect it is software because it only began after running Ubuntu Linux 5.10.
Thanks

76 Posts

October 20th, 2005 04:00

Machine check exceptions are frequently caused by one of the following conditions:

* You are running the processor or mainboard beyond its specifications. For example, you are overclocking the processor or bus. We recommend that you run your hardware at the manufacturer-rated speeds.
  * Noisy power, overstressed power strips, outmatched power supplies and failing power supplies can destabilize your computer. Make sure that you have a stable, reliable power supply to your computer.
  * Extreme thermal conditions caused by the failure of cooling devices such as fans may damage your computer. Make sure that your cooling devices are all working.
  * You have damaged memory or memory that is not the correct type for your computer. If you recently changed the memory configuration, revert to the previous configuration to determine what is wrong. Make sure that you are using the correct memory for your computer.

Any chance you could try another power supply, it may have enough juice, but it may be giving out a dirty signal...high noise from poor filtering etc...

I would also check your system temperatures...something may be overheating enough to cause the MCE but not enough to shut it down...

You could also try your setup with a few of your extra devices removed...there's a lot of stuff that wants to "spin up" when your system does a refresh of the drives...

2 Posts

October 28th, 2005 13:00

I ran Memtest86+ and found out my RAM was bad. After ordering more from Crucial, using their configurator, I was able to reinstall Windows without much trouble.

The system seems to work fine until I run Max Payne 1 (with 1.05 patch) and Doom 3 (demo). Both games seem to crash at eratic times. The crashes seem to be dominated by 0x0000009c blue screens (along with a few others) and stopping wherever it is running, requiring a reboot or Windows jumping in and closing the programs.
It looks like it could be RAM, but since I have replaced it with 1 gigabyte (using two 512 cards) and I have 20 gigabytes of hard drive space free this should not be the case.

I have also tried several other things to isolate this problem including blowing the fan out with compressed air, upgrading to the latest versions of all of my drivers and bios, running Dell Diag. and checking Windows XP's Device manager for errors (both programs did not have any problems to report), and unplugging the power sources for the night. I have also installed I8kfanGUI which tells me that the temperature is 124 and 125 °F (I am assuming that this is okay, but I can't prove it).

I am not overclocking the system.

Thanks

1 Message

October 4th, 2015 10:00

Hi Sir,

I have a damaged memory when I tested my memory in diagnostics it showed this message:

"Error code 2000-0123

Validation 10831

Msg: Memory-integrity test discrepancy"

What should I do ?

HELP me please this happens to me 5 to 10 times a day.

Thanks.

17 Posts

March 25th, 2024 16:03

Had some strange restarts on my T5500, only to get message about MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION & frozen computer. 

So to clear this issue:

1. remove all new hardware, especially sound or WiFi cards
  2. got to BIOS & disable C-state for CPU
  3. go to Safe mode
  4. uninstall hardware from GPU or any other hardware with problem (on my end it was also WiFi card & CPU Virtualization feature driver)
  5. boot up & test computer

This has worked on mine, after:

• replacing & testing RAM
  • replacing CPU paste
  • replacing PSU
  • removing 2nd CPU board
  • replacing GPU
  • replacing Battery...
No Events found!