Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 13th, 2010 07:00

ACPI.SYS error on Dell studio 1558

Hello, i m trying to install xp pro on my new dell 1558 studio and i know dell doesnt support it but i need xp ON IT, in fact i will dual boot win7 and win xp. i have an XP pro bottable cd with sp3 and integrated AHCI drivers and when i try to install it after loading all the drivers it ends up on blue screen of death error which is ACPI.SYS. Can someone help me please? thanks

its delll 1558 with new intel i5 processor and atil hd radeon 4570 thanks

12.7K Posts

February 13th, 2010 14:00

The bios is not compatible with XP, nothing can be done about it, sorry.

16 Posts

February 13th, 2010 17:00

sorry to say that but if i am FORCED to use Windows 7 or Vista, i m gong to return the LAPTOP and thats hows it seems like. SINCE, there are XP drivers available for studio 1558 laptop it's just a matter of time of XP getting insalled but i think i m gonna be returning the LAPTOP just becase DELL didnt give the support for XP in bios, thanks and have a good day.

16 Posts

February 17th, 2010 04:00

ahh man...there is all XP drivers available for my laptop and i cant even install XP on my DELL STUDIO 1558 JUST because someone made it incompatible with XP...AHHHHH DAMMMM...

288 Posts

February 17th, 2010 05:00

If Dell made drivers available for your laptop than does it not make sense that XP will run on it? Do you need to get a different bios? What in particular is in the bios that would prevent XP from running?

12.7K Posts

February 17th, 2010 07:00

16 Posts

February 17th, 2010 22:00

ALL XP drivers from DELL STUDIO 1555 matches the description of the hardware in my laptop in fact THEY ARE SAME.....ATI has drivers for XP, REALTEK has drivers for XP, broadcom does too...and ofcourse intel has XP drivers for almost every chipset they support ( atleast they have for mine). wat else is left? dell utilities? they are all available in xp and vista and win7, not for my laptop? i will download from some other model simple as that...even if DELL doesnt offer XP drivers for studio 1558 (my laptop) they r still available and all you need to HAVE IS SOME COMMON SENSE and look at other studios and i looked at 1555 and i found it....even if i wouldnt have found from dell i would be able to get drivers from original hardware manufacture....

NOW, i have XP SP3 AHCI integrated drivers cd and it just doesnt go next after loading all the files in setup and gives me the error or ACPI.SYS which i assume somebody doesnt want me to use XP anymore....oh and i cant force HAL because if i bypass it i get MPS multi-processor which is not suitable for my ACPI laptop and i cant install any other HAL cuz i get the same error

do you guys have solution ?

8 Posts

February 19th, 2010 07:00

What about running XP in the virtualization mode Win 7 offers?

12.7K Posts

February 19th, 2010 07:00

What about running XP in the virtualization mode Win 7 offers?

Your processor and bios has to support hardware virtualization, see thia page for more info on how to check

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

8 Posts

September 27th, 2010 10:00

virtualization on IBM compatible machines always for all OS leads to realtime perfotmance inefficiency and restricted access.

I am not sure but acpi.sys should somehow involve ODD recognition issues.I tried the ms-dos cd I had created from an xp(me) ms-dos floppy, and dicovered that ODD driver does not load.

regards,

SlSq.

No Events found!