Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 14th, 2014 21:00

ATAPI Errors after Windows 7 Reinstall

Hi,

I had to replace the HDD on my 3+ year old Dell Inspiron N4010 (14R) with an SSD as the HDD had developed bad sectors and was causing issues. I did a fresh install of Windows 7 SP1 after I swapped the hard disk, installed Windows updates and all my other software after that. However, I may have got something wrong in the fresh install (possibly the drivers I installed). I am now seeing a series of errors relating to ATAPI (Event ID 11) in the event viewer with this detail: The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort0.

There are other errors as well, but they all seem to be rooted to the ATAPI error. 

I tried analyzing my system for driver updates from www.dell.com/support/drivers. This shows 3 drivers as not having been installed. Even though I tried installing these multiple times, they still show up as needed. These are: 

1. Intel Management Engine Interface Driver 
  2. Intel® Mobile Chipset, Cantiga Chipset, PM45/GM45/PM55/HM57/HM55 Express Chipset Family Driver 
  3. Qualcomm Atheros AR8152 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller Driver 

I wonder if these problems are related. Any suggestions or help to rectify this?

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

March 15th, 2014 17:00

Check that you install the drivers, often drivers just extract and the setup.exe doesn't launch. See here for details:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/downloading-drivers-checking-hardware-ids-and-downloading-and-installing-dell-system-drivers-in-the-correct-order/driver-installation/

No Events found!