Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 30th, 2007 16:00

Any way to make wordpad default to txt instead of rtf?

I'm using Windows XP Media Center edition.  When I used to use XP Home on my old system, wordpad defaulted to txt files.  On my current system with XP Media Center, wordpad defaults to rtf files.  Is there any way to make wordpad default to txt files on my current system? 

38 Posts

January 30th, 2007 18:00

Thanks, but that's not what I'm talking about.  I already did that a long time ago. 

I'm talking about when I'm in wordpad and I go to file/open, it defaults to rtf files in "files of type."  I want it to default to txt files there like it used to. 

12.7K Posts

January 30th, 2007 18:00

Right click on a txt file and choose "open with" then choose wordpad, and tick the box that says, always use this program.....  hit OK.

12.7K Posts

January 30th, 2007 19:00

38 Posts

January 30th, 2007 19:00

According to that, there's not really a way to do it.  I don't really believe that, because on my old system, it defaulted to txt files just fine.  So the difference is either in the registry or in the exe file.  I'm going to try copying over notepad from my old system/os, and if that fails, I'll look at the registry.  If anyone knows anything else, I could use the help. 

2K Posts

January 30th, 2007 20:00

From Microsoft Resources...

WordPad automatically saves documents as rich text files, but you can change the default file type at any time. On the File menu, click Save As. In Save as type, select the document format you want to set as the default. For example, to always save documents as text files, click Text Document. Select the Save in this format by default check box, and then click Save. This saves the current document in the selected file format and sets the default file format for future documents until you change it again.

38 Posts

January 30th, 2007 21:00

Worked!  Thanks deerrff. 

12.7K Posts

January 30th, 2007 21:00

"I'm talking about when I'm in wordpad and I go to file/open, it defaults to rtf files in "files of type."  I want it to default to txt files there like it used to. "

That procedure fixed this problem?  Good to know.

2K Posts

January 30th, 2007 23:00

You're welcome.
No Events found!